The worst band ever

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by gary.newelluk, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't equate the 2 with eachother. I just named two examples of bands that were already mentioned a lot. But to me WT is just as interesting as most hair metal... which is not interesting. I'm not saying this to diss. I'm just stating it as a fact. I dig different metal. Taste remains subjective

2. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I agree. I simply think we don’t want to hear neon telling other posters to shut up or go cry to mommy.
    I put him on ignore. He has the honor of being the first person I’ve used that feature on.
    He’s a nasty angry pathetic little man.

3. A modern orchestral composer? No, I couldn't. But that music doesn't really interest me. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my knowledge of modern composers. But all musicians are composers, I guess, and I can name at least a handful of them.

I'll converse with you about music. I just truly was unimpressed by that song. I know I didn't listen to the whole thing, but it began generically enough to tell me all I needed to know.

Nirvana were in no way trying to even be in the same league as metal. They wouldn't even go on tour with Metallica and Guns 'n' Roses, who invited them to do so, so if you think they were trying to impress metal fans, you are mistaken.

There was a time not so long ago that punk and heavy metal bands didn't really have the biggest opportunity in the world to get signed or make it big. They just had to play what they liked, so they played it genuinely. It was raw and visceral. A handful of them did make it big against the odds, which changed popular music forever. I prefer the music from that era, though, when it was straight up with no pretension, not knowing if it was going to be a hit or not and not really caring as such. The music was more important than the stardom.

4. Asmodean

It was in reaction to Sinead who to be fair was repeating several points a lot, and neither in an objective respectful way. I think she simply get what she was asking for: both a solid summary of why hair metal had to go, and the same disrespectful tone she dishes out.
    You're not doing much better btw. You sound pissed because he has a negative opinion on your fav band. Are we in highschool?

5. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

It’s not my favorite band. I’m not sure how you can admittedly listen to the first couple seconds of a song, call it trash and then talk about how open minded you are.
    I accepted your subjective opinion. It made sense and was sensibility stated.
    Although you appear to be heading down a derogatory path. I’ll leave this discussion. Thanks for your time.

6. Asmodean

Ok, i was just pointing out you calling neon pathetic etc. makes you not any better or constructive than the person YOU are pissing on. You're verbally pissing on each other. And then you wanna make it look im the derogatory one here.. lol

7. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

It’s too easy to sucked into the fruitless black hole of being a **** in the internet . I’m not doing it. I’m sorry for getting upset. I should know better.
    I would love to discuss music in a mature open minded setting, perhaps a new thread?

Asmodean likes this.
  8. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I’m listening to a band right now that is typically outside my tastes, but I’m enjoying it quite a bit.

9. Asmodean

I don't mind continuing here or in another thread :)

10. I am fair and open-minded. Notice how I'm not harping on like you and Sinead about what losers White Snake or whatever that band you posted are. Notice how I'm not going on and on about how they ruined music forever and saying about how they have no talent whatsoever.

I rarely, if ever, do that about any band or musician. It's a ludicrous position to take up, that they have absolutely no talent. I was a little ornery when I first joined in, I admit, because I think it's pretty low to be so degrading towards someone who committed suicide. And that's not even about the music; that's just about treating a human being as if their life doesn't matter.

I listened a little longer to the song. It's not what I thought it was going to be. I expected angry male vocals over top, so it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Kind of reminded me of metal Enya.

11. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Well thanks for giving it a second chance.
    I feel it would be phony for me to temper my opinion of a musician because he committed suicide. If you read my post, I gave him credit for his guitar work. I think he was a better guitarist than Nirvana’smusic allowed him to showcase . From what I understand about Kurt , he would have wanted my honesty.

12. It isn't that he shouldn't be criticized. I just don't like people taking advantage of the fact that he killed himself to make it seem like he isn't part of this whole positive healthy thing we're all trying so hard to create these days. And then to hypocritically turn it around and say "He was just a loser!"

Personally, I could go for a little degeneracy. I know it's bad to say, and I can't relate on a personal level, but I kind of find it inspiring when a person is hellbent on self-destruction. It fascinates me.

13. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

It’s hard for me not to see Nirvana as the band that killed rock & roll and heavy metal stone dead. Nirvana's success made irritating riffs and boring personal confessions de rigueur. When Nirvana came along, they broke everything and the pieces are never going to be put together again. People on this forum might still keep killing it on the underground circuit and that might be better, but since Nirvana, heavy metal has exited mainstream consciousness. When grunge came in, rather than it being more about the music, it became even more about "the look". Musicianship and musicality went totally down the toilet.

14. Asmodean

^
    I disagree so much :grinning: Grunge and Nirvana didn't kill anything. Heavy metal exiting the mainstream in the 90s didn't hurt musicianship and musicality. But I think i've been over this twice already :p I guess this conviction is just something i don't get.

15. Nirvana's riffs weren't boring, though I would agree the riffs in modern popular rock are extremely boring. And Nirvana didn't write songs that were long diatribes of personal confessions like modern rock, either. Most of it was stream-of-consciousness stuff that doesn't really seem to make any sense on first listen. They're about random things, like books he read and shit, and often times random words just strung together because they sound good musically. "A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido, yay." It has a lot of underlying ironic humor if you pay attention, too.

It was just later bands that took everything on face value and tried to cash in on another person's suicide that ruined everything. He became this dark and depressing persona, that even his close friends said wasn't really true of him. The execs who keep signing and promoting these bands instead of more original acts are to blame as well.

I would give you a little leverage if you said his suicide ruined everything. Because if he hadn't killed himself he'd probably still be writing great music, and other musicians would be being inspired to do their own creative thing instead of everyone just trying to be the next Kurt Cobain, moody pop icon. He was a leader, because he was a true individual. Whether he wanted that mantle or not, he couldn't help it.

As far as a look goes, how did Nirvana make it about a look? Jeans and a t-shirt as opposed to looking like you just walked out of the World Wrestling Federation? Now everybody is dressed in like, Prada jackets and shit. Kurt himself owned one pair of Chuck Taylor's.

I think you're right about one thing, though; the pieces are never going to be put back together again. Rock is dead. Corporatism killed it. Not Nirvana.

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

suicides dont sell records..

17. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

18. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I was a David Bowie fan while he was alive though. I have a skimpy little Bowie tank top I love to wear to concerts.

19. Pepper!

Pepper! Members

Blood on the Dance Floor