The worst band ever

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by gary.newelluk, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

My problem with young metalheads is that it becomes a dick measuring contest to see who likes the most obscure bands. I think that death and black metal are pretty much useless. In the 70s 80s/early 90s we had metal, now they're is music which doesn't even sound like metal which people call metal. The pussy aura of metal in the mid 90s drove kids to hip hop. I mean, Anthrax was singing about the smell of their feet while NWA was talking about sex and violence...which is more interesting? Metal was unrelatable and esoteric whereas hip hop resonated and also sounded good and was upbeat vs. depressing. I think it is healthier to listen to more optimistic and energizing music. It is easier to complain about other people doing the wrong thing than it is to take the decisive action. And, especially if you pay attention to the lyrics, the vast majority of current metal lyrics are just lists of complaints and resignations articulated in the most flamboyantly theatrical and over-emotional way possible. The pussification started when metal was pushed aside by grunge and lost its way. The real problem is that because the touchy feely depression type stuff gained mainstream status, new generation's thought that was what metal was supposed to be. Luckily, a segment of the metal world, especially in Europe, went towards a fantasy or medieval theme. Rhapsody and Hammerfall came out around '98 with songs about knighthood, templars and what not. They were soon joined by the likes of Dark Moor, Freedom Call, Thy Majestie, Majesty, and the war history obsessed Sabaton. It's interesting that Kamelot and Dark Guardian preceded all of these by a decade or so. The closest stuff like that got to the mainstream was Dragonforce though.

Heavier bands (some with harsh vocals) with a war/fantasy/medieval bent include Doomsword, Ensiferum and Wisdom. Heavy Metal in the 1970s was mostly about Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. Deep Purple had great inroads in it being among the founders even if remaining under the Hard Rock term.

fem_fatale likes this.
  2. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

Grunge sucked! Bad singers who don't shower and guitar players who can't play leads. Notice how when 90's grunge bands go on a reunion tour they have to bring three other one hit wonders with them just to justify coming to their lame excuse for a show. Music really did run off a cliff after Nirvana. 80s metal scene was more diverse than the 90s grunge scene. Grunge scene was basically dead by 1996. It was a quick life & death. Rock imo has never returned to prominence. Music turned to shit in the 90s. Everyone was angry, miserable and many of those bands died from dope.

fem_fatale likes this.
  3. Notice how when 80's hair metal bands go on a reunion they play county fairs to a group of twenty hookers.

Asmodean likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think Neonspectraltoast should get a tv show like Conan or the Daily show.

5. I've always thought that, myself. I'm much more cordial in person than I am on the internet. This place drives me crazy for some reason.

6. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Marilyn Manson.

Irminsul likes this.
  7. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

All of those grunge bands had a singer who sounded like his foot is caught in a bear trap and he is trying to get out. You could make fun of anybody from the 80's glam metal bands vocally speaking, you could find worst of the worst vocals and they are likely way better than anybody from the grunge bands. That whole grunge movement in the early 90's has spawned what we have today 25 years later. That grunge shit influenced a generation of people in a very negative way.

8. I don't even make fun of them anymore. I stopped doing that when I was nine years old. Nirvana isn't to blame. Kurt isn't to blame for all of these copycats who lack originality and try to be the next Nirvana. The industry that signs them is to blame if anybody. Kurt was just being honest. Eddie Vedder was just being honest. These new rock stars are just being schemers. They wish they had that kind of originality. Hair metal, I don't really know what to say. Not all of them were bad guys, as far as I can tell. But they didn't have the depth of emotion that Kurt had, for the most part. They just didn't. He was something else. There is no denying that, really. And no one hates modern rock and all its faux moping as much as I do. It's completely ridiculous. I just laugh at it. I find the fact that so many people are actually into it comical, just like I always found hair metal comical. None of it is real. It's inhuman in a sense. Life isn't just fun and games...sex, drugs, partying, getting rich. It's never been that way for millions of years. People have always suffered. People have always felt out of place. Nirvana wasn't trying to cash in on that. Kurt was just in tune with that, very human. Bands trying to cash in on that just makes all of what makes us human feel empty. And bands that try to make everybody just have a good time, well... I guess there's a time and place for that. But it can't be everything. It just can't. If Motley Crue were everything, we might as well be listening to jingles for products on the radio 24/7.

I'm really open-minded when it comes to music, because I respect all kinds of people. You grow up with something and it's unavoidable that it's your thing almost. It's hard to judge someone. (Though I would say a lot of music is just objectively terrible.) Even if you're a teenager when a type of music is big...well, that music serves as a soundtrack to your formative years, when everything was exciting. When I was a teenager it was grunge, so I tend to defend it. I wasn't a miserable, moping teenager, and I didn't feel the music was self-indulgent, either, though I was a bit of an outsider just due to my abnormal upbringing.

It's all about capitalizing in on something and making a mockery of the original product. I suppose your heyday was probably the eighties. Which were all about capitalizing on whatever was popular. But aren't there any metal bands that you think are just fake? From the eighties, I mean. Disregarding the acts of today, most of which, even in the metal scene, are trying to capitalize on Kurt Cobain. I mean, you're right, Nirvana had a huge impact. But it's like, don't shoot the messenger. All of these rock stars trying to desperately to be as interesting as Kurt...I don't know if there's even any stopping it. There's a desperate need in people to be that human and interesting. Not all band leaders are guilty of this, of course, but many of them are. Which creates most of the tripe you hear on the radio. And it is tripe.

There's other singers that aren't like this at all. Kid Rock, for example. I can't stand his music, but he is a funny guy and has personality. He's not trying to be all deep and shit. Then there are bands like MGMT where I think the lead man really is introspective and interesting, but they won't conform to industry standards, so they don't get the air time they deserve. Radiohead is another act like that. Sometimes I can't stand Radiohead, but they were so enormous, they are so enormous, they at least deserve some radio time besides one song (Creep) you'd think... I don't blame the musicians, though. I blame the industry. And maybe if they weren't selling all of these rock stars thirty million dollar contracts, they actually would have to experience something to give their music a little more depth. But it's like, they don't even have to live their lives. They become millionaires at twenty years old, because the record industry thinks they can sell them as pop icons. If they can, great (so long as that icon doesn't get a big mouth about the shallowness of the industry...then they'll mysteriously wind up dead, probably). If they can't, so what? The industry makes a profit.

9. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

@neonspectraltoast you’re not open minded in the slightest. I tried to share a song with you and you judged it trash after only listening to a few seconds of the intro. You can subjectively dislike that band, but their skill level in all aspects is light years ahead of Kurt Cobain.
    I could name dozens of other talented musicians/ bands you’ve never heard of, but you’ve already made up your mind.
    I think you listen to music on radio too much. You’re right, it’s mostly awful( in my opinion). It takes some effort to find music that resonates with you personally and is actually well thought out both from a composition and lyrical perspective.
    Personally I think Kurt Cobain was a construct of the music industry driven by MTV. He had very little real talent. His song writing was adolescent, his composition was nonexistent . He had a terrible singing voice and obviously made no effort to seek coaching and improve it. He was a passable guitarist and perhaps could’ve been better had his composing been more imaginative/ creative .

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Sometimes when listening to music, the last thing you want to do is stop that to listen to a song someone asks you to listen to. :p

11. I quit listening after I heard ten seconds of orchestra playing five notes repeatedly like it was some kind of creative masterpiece. When any real composer who uses an orchestra would laugh that shit out of the room. Self-indulgence at its worst. And the notes weren't even interesting. They were just typical.

Their skill level may be light years ahead, but their actual aesthetic is light years behind. Kurt's music was atmospheric. It has a quality that draws you in and makes you a part of its world that can't just be pulled out of your ass no matter how many notes you can play per second. On top of it he was a visual genius who never really got a chance to fully explore his talent. His loss is really immeasurable and we're worse off for it. Hate his music all you want, but that's how an entire generation felt about him, for the most part.

It seems to me that the people who really need coaching are the people who lacked the complete package to begin with. They all coach themselves into sounding exactly alike, as if there is some particular way that everything is supposed to sound. That's what makes so many metal musicians so terrible, in my opinion. They think everything has to be measured and meted out like some industrial product. It's like they don't have the originality or the talent, so they create some false ideal for everyone to strive for, that they themselves strive for, and then they can criticize anyone who falls short, for lack of anything else to bolster themselves up.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Megadeth

13. I owned the Symphony of Destruction tape when I was younger. Had a hard time getting into it, though.

14. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

So you are not a Kurt Cobain Fanboy. Nirvana fanboys and fangilrls can't take criticism for shit. I say one bad thing about Cobain. They go apeshit. Its hilarious. I've come to the realization that most of the people who like Nirvana are like moths flying around a streetlight at nighttime. What they see in it is anyone's guess! And when you try to engage the typical Nirvana stooge in a debate they usually stare back with a deer in the headlights look and fire back with an expletive filled rant like some spoiled brat who just got his ass spanked by his parents. I especially get a big laugh out of them when they call Cobain a "great songwriter/musician." Kurt Cobain was a no talent loser and what people saw in him is, well...anyone's guess! How he got as far as he did is a mystery and thankfully people are finally waking to the fact of how lame-ass he really was. Far as I'm concerned he was solely responsible for the downfall of great music given all the talentless shit we have today! In my opinion Kurt Cobain is responsible for the downfall of music of today. I like to listen to musicians who've spent a little more time "in the woodshed" mastering their craft.

15. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

You have no idea what you’re talking about. I tried to converse with you about music, but you insist on hiding your ignorance by being a pretentious tool.
    I highly doubt you could even name a contemporary composer without google.

16. Asmodean

It's obviously not only about skill levels and how talented musicians might be. A band like Nirvana wrote songs that just moved (and moves) a lot of people in a more intrincite way than Doro or Within Temptation ever could. Someone who really loves a band like the latter and don't get why other folks dig Nirvana so much might never understand it. It still doesn't mean Within Temptation is clearly the better band though. I do not consider myself a Nirvana or grunge fan at all and prefer to be confronted with Nevermind any day rather than Ice queen or most other stuff of WT. As you pointed out: Within Temptation resonates with you personally. Not with me or Neon or many other people who love metal. Btw: Nirvana gets only discussed so much here because Sinead blames them for ruining her fav kind of metal. Nirvana has little to do with metal of course. Its clearly more a form of rock. I think Cobain had a raw talent that didn't need much polishing. He didn't make his music for Within Temptation or hair metal fans.

17. What people saw in him was pretty simple, really: he was a creative genius and an exceptional songwriter. I can't imagine why people get upset when you repeatedly call their hero, someone who meant the world to them, a no talent loser and a lame-ass. He really did mean the world to an entire generation. Can you say the same thing about the leaders of any of the bands you've mentioned thus far? It also can be hard to pinpoint what exactly was so great about Kurt, but that's the way it always is with great artists. They leave you mystified.

I don't know why you think the bands we have today are talentless, either. They shred on their guitars in perfect virtuoso style just like all of the bands you love. They're well-rehearsed and play all the right notes. They've been coached, or as you say, have "been in the woodshed" mastering their craft. They take vocal lessons. The only thing that's different between them and 80's hair metal is that they aren't singing about girls. Oh, and they aren't dressed in leotards.

It's just so easy to degrade someone that (allegedly) killed themselves. It takes a real low-life to do so, as well. Really, Nirvana fandom hasn't changed. There were always people who didn't get it, and they were always complete dicks about it. There were candlelight vigils after Kurt died and there were people making lame-ass jokes like "Kurt Go Bang." I think the level of sophistication between the true groups speaks a lot as to the level of sophistication of the music they like.

I would call the leaders of the bands you like no-talent losers, but I don't know any of their names. Wait, Jon Bon Jovi! I won't call him a no-talent loser, even though I don't like his music. Maybe if he died and people held candlelight vigils, I'd be like "What the fuck?!" I mean, if you really like guitar shredding better than songs that create an atmosphere and draw you in, I can see why you'd get upset when the world stopped turning because someone died. Maybe not quite as upset and cruel about it as you are, though.

But like I said, Kurt got big because he was a special person. His style didn't change one bit after he signed to DGC. In fact, they had to coerce him into even double tracking his vocals on Nevermind. He was true to the punk aesthetic. He wanted to plug his instruments directly into the soundboard. He cared far more about the integrity of his art than about being popular. He definitely wasn't the stereotypical rockstar persona that record companies love. The only way he was an influence on the musicians today is that most big rockstars would kill to have his fanbase, so they try to emulate him in the most basic way. The fact that he committed suicide makes people focus upon how supposedly dark and depressing his music was (it really wasn't.) And they try to sound dark and moody to try and seem like tortured artists, to try and cash in on that. It's not his fault that rockstars with big egos also happen to be flaming idiots.

But...you like rockstars with big egos and low IQ's. It really does take all kinds.

18. I think the real reason Nirvana gets talked about so much is because Kurt is a legend, and he became a legend without all of the coaching and rigorous training that metal bands are so fond of. They just can't understand how someone who is so unlike them gets so much appreciation. It's not that he ruined rock. It's pure envy.

19. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Nirvana was definitely not metal, and you shouldn’t compare WT to hair metal. Most hair bands were soulless and generic.

20. Asmodean

Partly maybe. But they and other grungy and alternative rock really took over MTV at the expense of stuff that was popular before (not all stuff though. Mainly stuff that already passed their heyday). The thing is Nirvana is not to blame for that.