The worst band ever

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by gary.newelluk, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My miss loves that album, I never really got into them, but I do like that album. My first "metal" album was, well I say Green Jelly, 3 little pigs, it was one the first cds I got, but I'd have to say it was Metallica - Reload.

Speaking of Green Jelly and worst bands, they were pretty much setup to be the worst band by intention they even names themselves Green Jelly because they considered that the worst flavour. They were so poor at playing instruments, they had to color code frets on guitars so they knew what to play next.

And they made it there for a while.

That's the funny thing with bands everyone hates, they end up making it big time, from all the hate. Machine Gun Kelly dissing Eminem will do wonders for him I think lol. He baited Eminem to bring him out in the spotlight, and he did. He gets the hate and he'll get the fans, just like ICP too lol.

creampie00 likes this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Metallica's black album was another of my first cds. But I had the previous stuff on cassette tapes from a neighbour further down the road. He was big into Metallica and his wife into Meat Loaf haha. Another neighbouring kids fav band was Aerosmith. Then I discovered Iron Maiden... and the direction of my teeny music taste was set :p A few years later me and some friends discovered the new and superb black metal subgenre, I still pity our parents for having their kids go through adolescence while being into this ultimate form of rock n roll :D It was fucking awesome for us though. The 90s rocked so hard. Lots of new subgenres, including (for me) shitty ones, but they were quite easily ignored. And the more i learned about the decades before it the more i appreciated a was a little kid in the 80s and hit puberty in the 90s :)

creampie00 likes this.
  3. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

80's were golden age of metal? There were a ton of good metal bands in the 80's. Abundance of bands were releasing almost consistently awesome albums. The 80's was the best time for metal because it was everywhere, the age was metal. Stadium tours, albums in the charts, the era of high sales, magazines, fan clubs. So many amazing underground bands were still out there. Shit, Maiden, Motley Crue, Poison, Dio and Ozzy were kings! Are you sure the 1980s wasn’t a great decade to be a metal fan?

4. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

I am mocked here for my love of 'hair bands', when in reality back in 1992 there was very little difference between a band like Skid Row and a band like Alice in Chains (esp. given AIC's roots). And Pearl Jam's guitarists were avowed Aerosmith fanatics. If we dispense with labels, and we just talk about the bands, it is amazing what commonality could be found instead of the constant belittling of supposedly passe' genres. The first line of the guitar solo in "Alive" at 3:39 is Ace Frehley's first line in the "She" solo on Kiss Alive at 3:00.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Steel Panther is a band that parodies Hair Metal.

You could probably use Glam Metal interchangeably with Hair Metal but Hair Metal was bands in the 80's that were commercially accessible and made power ballads and had really polished production. Most the bands wore makeup but unlike Glam like Kiss or Alice Cooper, they wore it more to accent a "pretty" look and made their hair all poofy.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

7. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

What is your opinion of Skid Row? They were a great band. Slave to the Grind is a great Metal album. Not "hair metal". Slave to the Grind was pure Metal. Self Titled and Slave To The Grind are fantastic. And if someone doesn't know, the dreadful and pejorative term "hair metal" was never, ever, not once used in the eighties/early nineties. It was all Heavy Metal. Slave to the Grind is a true classic. I liked Subhuman Race.
    I've tried the stuff without Sebastian but it just doesn't do it for me.
    Saw them on the Subhuman Race tour and they were great live. MTV pushed the videos for Slave To The Grind album big time. Monkey Business got promoted like heck. They did a great job getting in on to that angry topic stuff that grunge was getting into. They're one of the few hard rock/commercial metal bands who said "the next album's gonna be heavier" and actually meant it. Subhuman Race was the last album with Sebastian Bach as lead singer and it was a departure from the style and sound of their first two albums. All albums post-Subhuman Race have a different lead singer. The debut is an excellent heavy metal album. Skid Row is the only "hair" metal band where their music got significantly heavier with each album, not more commercial.

8. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

Compare Motley Crue, Poison and Winger to Pitbull, Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz, etc. Enough said. Don't complain about commercial metal. The commercial shit of today is a billion times worse. At least people required some ability to sing, play guitar, drums, etc. when it came to glam metal. In modern commercial music, hip hop/EDM crap, all you need is a shitty meaningless bunch of words (as long as they are catchy) and a simple hip house beat produced by some random person who usually goes uncredited. You would give your left nut to hear Motley Crue on commercial radio again and you know it.

9. The only one disparaging other people's musical tastes here is you. Granted, I would disparage yours, but I'm totally taken aback and flabbergasted that someone loves hair metal so much.

Sometimes Motley Crue is a respite from commercial radio. I still hate it, though. I thought you would like those rap groups since they're all about "fun"...sex, drugs, and money.

10. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

As a fan of "hair metal" , I like discussing its rise and fall. What do you want from me? I miss the 70s/ 80s/early 90s . I grew up on rock and heavy metal. I love hair metal. Nirvana was shit and I held them responsible for the destruction of rock music. God damn there was some good fucking rock music in the 70s-80s-early 90s. Rock music was butchered in 90s by media and people who were jealous of rock music's popularity. I think Nirvana was a very musically limited band. I think Nirvana is overrated in the sense that people act like they are the greatest band to have made grunge music when in my eyes Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, Stone Temple Pilots (early albums), Mother Love Bone are much better bands in terms of musical talent. They were also somewhat responsible for taking the guitar solo out of music that had been so prominent in the 70s and 80s and I hate them for that. For me their whole status is massively inflated by this (perceived by many) rebellious rock ' n roll suicide romanticism of Cobain shooting himself dead at the age of 27 after years as a heroin junkie, so it's like that whole James Dean thing (who was a lousy actor who made a few mostly pretty terrible movies that gained huge appeal after his death) and John Belushi (for me a moderately talented comedian) and Sid Vicious (who never had a single musical bone in his body) - you wonder if guys like this had lived they'd all by now be living in disgraceful middle-age, and starring on celebrity ballroom dancing reality shows?

11. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

Warrant, Trixter and Firehouse - "Fight For Your Right" Lafayette Concert 1991 LA. Rock was never better then at this time when hair bands were ruling the world. I miss those days so much!!!
    Music is shit these days.....talent is minimal at very least.

12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Nirvana were just a band. But Kurt was pretty and could be a lovely guy from certain accounts I've read and seen online. If you've actually listened to the best of their recorded output I think even you would have to admit he could play. He had his own style. Nirvana just landed all of a sudden and a lot of disaffected teenagers related. Just teenagers ya know? I don't care if you like Nirvana or not but this personal vendetta you have against them seems a little comical.

13. See? You're so petulant. Nirvana were different from the other "grunge" bands no doubt. I'd say, to be accurate, grunge should have been more of a label for the entire counterculture of the nineties than a musical sound. As far as genres go, I'm sure Kurt would have loved to have been thought of as nothing more than straight up punk.

Celebrity ballroom dances...isn't Brett Michaels on those kind of shows?

14. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

You're 100% correct there, "Grunge" was indeed a term created to lump a bunch of bands together that sounded remotely similar, used essentially for marketing purposes. I think you'll find that the media/labels are always keen to create catchy like term's, such as "Grunge" or "Glam" to help market such music. Isn't this the case with many musical genre tags? It's not like metal bands created the term in some kind of organic attempt to separate themselves from rock. Many of the earliest heavy metal bands still considered themselves hard rock or rock and roll. Black Sabbath avoided calling themselves "metal", even though the media attached that label to them. Even Judas Priest only started calling themselves metal heading into the 80's.

15. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

I am 53year old woman. I miss the 70s/ 80s/early 90s . I grew up on rock and heavy metal. Nirvana was shit and I held them responsible for the destruction of rock music. I wish Heavy Metal songs could be top 10 hits on the Hot 100 again played along with the pop and rap songs on radio stations. I just wish that rock/metal ruled the world again. Metal's glory years were 1980-1992. I'm a big fan of those years in Metal .'Hair Metal' was SOOO huge that top 10 Billboard charts and MTV most requested videos we're metal almost top to bottom for a few years. That's why I pick up Hair metal over Grunge. I never liked music only to be depressing, pessimist or dull. Never been a fan or existentialism in music

Of course "serious" magazines and bullshit judgements by the comitee (Rolling Stone and others) media only pick up music to depress like indie, grunge, punk, etc

Give me Kiss over Sex Pistols, give me Bon Jovi over The Cure, Def Leppard over Nirvana, Poison over Pixies, Guns n Roses over Sonic Youth, etc. For me the late 70s/ 80s/early 90s were a great time to be a metal fan. I think it was a lot of fun, got our fists pumping and blood flowing...unlike grunge that came after it, with it's gloomy outlook on life. People can laugh at the haircuts, videos, outfits, lyrics and album covers and the banality of power chords but there was a reason why this stuff was popular - it had some fine hooks, riffs and great singers. After 1995 I found it harder to get excited about newer metal bands. I still love and listen to the older 70s, 80's and early 90's rock and metal.

16. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It's great that you like the music that you like! Me? I just have wide taste, from "depressing" grunge, new wave, indie to balls out Rock 'n' Roll. Actually I'm not real familiar with some of the so called "big hair" bands that you list. I will check them out and I'm sure I will like some of it. I just think it pays to remember that rock evolved from the blues and that so called depressing music can be cathartic and be a great comfort. Also early Rock 'n' Roll was pretty simple really. They made the most of what they had and banged it out. I think the relatively basic template of grunge helped recapture that spirit of capturing something on the fly. It was also democratic. Suddenly kids felt like they could learn three chords and start a band. It was about taking part and belonging. Being able to squeeze a thousand notes into eight bars can be thrilling and entertaining but there is also more to music than just that.

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think we're understating the complexity of Nirvana's music. The main riff on Smells Like Teen Spirit is 4 chords.

18. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

IMO the early 1990's were the last good times for music. It all went to shit after 1993. YouTube and social media are also at fault. If Metal is to come once more into mainstream it needs to evolve into something less dark. Don't get me wrong but popular music is always one with kind of less tension, mind relieving vibe. Most of the people after hard day of work don't want to build up a rage, instead they want relaxation. Glam Metal was liked because of mostly sexual lyrics, and bluesy life stories in songs. Metal nowadays is psychological defense mechanism in which listener drowns worlds misunderstanding for him in hate and sadness in some cases. Many of modern metal music videos shows guy/girl picked up for being different, and at the end he/she take revenge for being pushed around by hurting or ultimately killing someone. I like real musicians that play instruments without auto tune,sampling,dubbing etc.To me most of the music on the radio is kiddie disney music or rap. I've met too many kids that have never heard of metal and call it "screamo."I believe the genre as a whole would be healthier if Metal had "some" solid mainstream presence (in the CURRENT pop culture... not bands that are primarily being listened to because they had such power decades ago). If we're being really honest, soundcloud/mumble rappers/trap/EDM are winning the pop culture war right now and it's having a distinct effect on the income a metal musician can expect these days. Glam metal used to have that role in the 80s and early 90s. I'm pretty sure it can happen again if someone is able to catch the zeitgeist. I will be amazed if EDM is around for ten more years, a remarkable lack of substance in that genre.

19. Metal should be songs about wizards and leprechauns.

Ged likes this.
  20. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

Part of the problem in my opinion is that rock and metal fans nowadays don't really want the bands they like to be popular. So many rock fans are so dead set against anything popular that as soon as a band that they like begins to get popular, they call them sell outs and abandon them (and I'm not talking about bands that are actually selling out, I'm talking about the ones that keep their sound yet lose fans just because they begin to grow in popularity). There are many rock/metal bands doing interesting things now, it's just that their sound is either too far out there to ever become popular or their fans often abandon them when they begin to gain some form of tangible popular success. I feel like too many rock/metal fans have become more concerned with being different from what is popular than actually allowing their genre of preference to have a shot at mainstream success. On the other hand, it's not surprising that hip-hop is doing so much better given that hip-hop fans don't care if their artists are successful. In fact, bragging about being successful is a major aspect of the culture and as a result, hip-hop fans like it when artists they like talk about being successful. Whereas in rock music, being successful seems to be a big no for some reason. Just my take on the situation and I'm certain there are other factors involved as well, but this is a big one in my opinion. There is a rampant gatekeeping and mind-blowing elitism in rock, punk, and metal nowadays and elitists keep new people from exploring and liking the genre and consequently, the genre doesn't grow (in terms of mainstream success). The elitism only grows stronger as hip hop and pop music grows more dominant. That's the sad truth. This is a huge problem. People who listen any form of Rock should respect and be proud that their bands are getting recognition.