The worst band ever

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by gary.newelluk, Jan 11, 2006.

1. PunkRocker

PunkRocker Member

Touche

but that doesnt mean the sellouts arnt "the worst band ever"...in an opinion thread...

2. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

How many snot nosed kids pick up a guitar and play because they heard sex pistols, the clash or the ramones play some stupid song and wanted to be like them? Countless. There's influence. When their music opens the door to people listening to other bands in the same genre, thats influence too. I'm being completely unbiased here, as I think most punk music is lame and boring, so don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sway your opinion on the bands.

As far as the slipknot/mayhem thing, if they were a band back in the day of mayhem and their music created a shift in popularity than yes, they would be responsible for it. A "movement" is only relevant if someone cares about a bands popularity though, so to turn around and call someone a sell out for getting their sound out there and bringing attention to what you're doing is pretty much a lose/lose situation.

3. makesmomcry420

makesmomcry420 shlimazl

wow for the first time ever i agree with everything you said.

and to add some more bands

wasp
    smashing pumpkins
    dio (song about a rainbow, not metal)
    as i lay dying
    def leppard

oh yea and primus sucks ;)

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm sorry, you're hopeless man.

5. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Dio is awesome, he's one the ancients of metal, and that's the problem with metal is the fact people think you can't make a song with an optimistic line like "you're a rainbow in the dark"
    Besides, Dio normally gets the credit for inventing the devil horns, you cant get more metal then that.

As for WASP, that reminds me of this month's rolling stone, they had an article on glam metal and on their low for the career of WASP it was in 1992 when they walked into their label's office and saw their poster had been replaced with one of Alice in Chains, goodbye cherry pie.

6. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

Quoted for truth.

7. makesmomcry420

makesmomcry420 shlimazl

devil horns is one thing, great he "invented" it, but its my personal preference that i cant listen to him and his voice without wishing i was the cop tied up in a warehouse in reservoir dogs. proly a cool guy, but i really cant listen to him. he is perfect for other ppl to listen to, but not me:)

oh yeah, and thanks for reminding me that i hate alice in chains too

8. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Maybe it's a voice thing, I was thinking before that Layne and Dio kind of have similar singing styles, Layne's voice just being deeper and thicker.

However though, AiC was amazing.

9. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Kiss would have to be on any list of the suckiest rock bands, but I wouldn't call them "metal." And I can't think of any 80s metal band that didn't suck.

Addicted2MEN likes this.
  10. PunkRocker

PunkRocker Member

Lots of good black metal came out of the 80's...and so did Venom...

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah man, the whole NWOBHM sucked. Iron Maiden, early Metallica, Motorhead, Saxon, Diamond head. Lousy garbage right. :huh:

12. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I never liked any of those bands, but I was pretty sick of metal and mainstream hard rock when punk came to my town circa 1979. I can't even fairly judge 80s metal bands, so I guess I should retract my "sucks" label. But metal of that era, and the hair band mania that followed, just doesn't appeal to me. I guess I sat through too many guitar solos in the '70s. I mean, I love guitar, but to my ears, there's a certain point at which fast/precise guitar just doesn't sound good any more.

And at a certain point, metal and hard rock didn't feel or sound... well, in touch with the times. That's totally subjective, I guess, and can't be supported with evidence, but the new music sounded cold and ominous and matched the world I lived in.

A few years back I went to an Ozfest and had a really good time, and it was good to hear metal so completely corrupted by the later influences, though purists I guess would assert that Ozfest isn't really metal.

All that just my opinion, and whatever rocks you and keeps you energized in this world is a good thing and I should be more careful not to mock it.

13. citrus_seas

citrus_seas Senior Member

This is kind of a pointless thread, as is every other thread about terrible bands and worst bands...music is all opinion, and you may think all of these bands suck, which most of them I agree with, except for some one on, like the 5th or 6th page who said Kansas, there is no bad groups, if you don't like it, that doesn't mean someone else doesn't. But since this is an opinion-based post, I'll share my two cents..this is what I hate, but I know other people might like it:

All of punk-rock (Sex Pistols, Ramones, etc..those are the only two I can think of, because all punk rock sounds the same to me)

Hair Metal (Poison, Motley Crue, Ratt, Whitesnake, etc..)

Nu-Metal (Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, etc..)

Grunge (Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, etc..)

Emo (My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Panic At The Disco, etc..)

14. makesmomcry420

makesmomcry420 shlimazl

marilyn manson is industrial rock, he came out long before "nu-metal"

15. PunkRocker

PunkRocker Member

Manson is actually considered "Shock Rock"...Mecanical Animals was Industrail(and his second worse CD behind Eat Me, Drink Me)

And if you really wanna get technical you could say Fall Out Boy and P!AtD are synth-pop...not emo...

16. makesmomcry420

makesmomcry420 shlimazl

ahh but "shock rock" is really only used as a visual reference such as performances or music videos, as his lyrics arent really all that shocking. but my only point in that statement above was that manson is certainly not nu-metal

17. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

Just wondering, but of those questionable genres, which artists do you like in comparison? lol, after all, you did practically list the most successful of each...

18. citrus_seas

citrus_seas Senior Member

I don't like any bands in those genres, I only listed these bands because they were the only ones I could think of at the time. I listen to jazz, blues, folk, pyschedelia, progressive rock..to me, no other genre will top these five genres..these five genres are like the epitome of real music. Say what you will..that's my taste.

19. Spirit Wynd

Spirit Wynd Member

Anything that mixes rap with metal, or changes metal into a rap sound...with the exception of Anthrax-I am the Man...funny song.

20. aleigh24024

aleigh24024 Member