The whole notion of reading

Discussion in 'Books' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 14, 2004.

1. gesone

gesone Member

I love the creative freedom reading allows in creating your own settings and characters. I dislike seeing a movie when I have read the book because all the characters are wrong compared to the ones I created, and of course the movie I have in my head is better.

I also like it when I totally lose myself in the plot and start to anxiously anticipate upcoming events, to see how the fate of these characters will unfold. It's amazing how we readers can get so involved in a character that doesn't even exist! Reading rules!

"Grilled cheese sandwiches will save the world!"

2. mktStev

mktStev Member

Language is great, especially for expressing the "skeletal" components of our thoughts. Language, both verbal and written form, were logical steps in the course human evolution (gave us the ability to share and pass down information in larger volumes, and more precisley via external transmission). However, I can't help but conclude that language is in fact the true limitation of perception. While we may observe people being emotionally impacted by a story, its not the words on the pages at are the direct souce. The author in fact will write the whole story, yet only tell about 1/3 of it (maybe half). Its the reader who reflects on their own individual experinces, their own personalities, world veiws, ambitions, metaphysical understandings, or whatever, that allows them to manifest themselves in the plot and evoke specific emotional responces which are probably predicted on those human qualities that tend transcend our evolved ways of imformation swapping through language.

3. MountainMan

MountainMan Member

the things we take for granted!
    look at the world around us and think about where it wouldn't be without the art of language and writing. we relay information and daily workings of other countries and peoples via these strange symbols; research science and math, such abstract concepts as nature would see it, and interpret them in our brains as concrete ideas and truths. imagine how liberating it must be to learn another language and form of writing and to communicate in a whole new way with an entirely brand new set of people. life itself is an artform

4. auraley

auraley Member

i love reading, but i have a few problems with it. i am a bit wary of getting all my ideas from books if i read things too soon in my life. i think it's nicer to think up as many things as you can by yourself. and also, reading fiction makes me feel like i have a boring life where there are no adventures, because telling stories can make you exaggerate things and words can make things that weren't even there, seem to be there. important to get a good balance between reading and getting action in your own life..but books are amazing..i sometimes look at my book shelf and the books i haven't read and feel really amazed that there could be some really inspirational lines in them! and don't you love it when someone and simply expresses something you wanted to say/felt..it's pretty magical. also, it's lovely to discuss a book's affect on you with friends. it's cool that we all read the same thing, could potentially have the same experience..