The War on Cash

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OlderWaterBrother, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Some phat stacks in my purse.

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah, sure. Why not? Let's get biblical before Donald Trump causes money to not exist anymore. Lol. Like if we haven't come to that conclusion here yet.

WritersPanic likes this.
  4. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Donald Duck can only make you wish money didn't exist.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Donald Trump is the new person who makes you wish money didn't exist.

6. wooleeheron

If he collapses the world economy again, he will make people long for the good old days, when the solution to such problems was to storm the palace with knives and pitchforks. There are roughly one senator and president for every million Americans to carve up into little tiny pieces and feed to the animals in the Washington zoo.

7. lode

lode Banned

I use my card about everywhere when I'm in Stateside. I should start using my phone. Ever since they went to the chip the god damned thing lasts like one year. One of them is made of tungsten though.

There's no doubt that the powers that be prefer all transaction be traceable, but I don't think it's just a conspiracy. Cash is inconvenient for many reasons some of them unrelated to banking. It increases you exposure in muggings, and there is evidence that less people carrying cash leads to reduced muggings. Keeping spare change has saved me hundreds of dollars over time of money that would end up lost in washing machines or lost in couch cushions otherwise.

8. wooleeheron

Every empire controls the distribution of goods, services, and information, and cash is merely another control mechanism that has only the value the Pentagon and Wall Street can convince people it has. IBM is now manufacturing the first microprocessors to serve as cheap tags that can be embedded in anything, including a dollar bill. They won't be able to easily track every micro transaction, but the AI will be able to analyze them for any significant trends. A cop walking across the street, could easily find out how much cash you have on you and where you got it from. Even the idea of robbing a bank, would become all but ludicrous. Maybe you could spend the money in a third world country.

Such tags cost pennies to make, and they want to spend less than 3c on one, while the technology just keeps rapidly improving. Australia has perhaps the most complex currency, which is plastic bills. There's no reason they can't be made out of carbon yarns, and thrown in the fireplace to sterilize them. The US treasury department merely doles out new technology as they see a need, but they know exactly what they want.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

10. wooleeheron

They should advertise that they only want your money, not your soul.

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I am schizophrenic. And while I was in college, I was at the height of my un-medicated delusions. This was probably around 2009-2011 or somewhere around there; not that that's even relevant.

Anyway, I had this theory that there were economics involved in this scheme to control behavior. I was having money problems and I had a steady drinking habit. And I thought (partly due to an econ lesson) that what you purchased was heavily influenced by psychology. Specifically, that when you had only a little bit of money you were psychologically more likely to purchase certain products. Like if you have $10 you're more likely to buy salad, but if you only have $5 you're more likely to buy top ramen.

Now that I have my illness under control and now that I'm older, I realize that I'm more in control. But I think that econ lesson still rings true in some regards. People buy what they can afford; often failing to look at the big picture of what is more healthy or more practical.

12. wooleeheron

They fail to look at the big picture, because they are lucky if they are taught how to even balance a checkbook, much less, how to share their words and play nice. They are encouraged to act like cattle, and believe whatever the fuck they can get away with arguing.

13. It's funny how a well interpreted lesson in something practical can center you. You're not alone with this phenomenon. I think it's why some people I've known over the years have found things that draw their focus outside of the normal flow. And it's usually something practical. I knew a heroin addict who made wine. He didn't drink, just gave it away or traded it for food. But it forced him to live on a schedule.

You're also on the mark about corporate brainwashing in advertising. Sometimes it does indeed play on your dread, often with cheerful images. But sometimes with dreadful images because humans are still fascinated with dreadful shit. They used to ave these cheaply printed magazines called Penny Dreadfuls Penny dreadful - Wikipedia that sold very well. It was reasoned that people liked to hear about people who had it worse off than they did. So their own life didn't seem so retched.

One of the worst ads I have seen is one for some drug that literally gives you "more time". A heart drug I think. But the imagery is a wash of chasing grandchildren, playing golf, attending ball games and dancing with the wife (it's very focused on old guys who are about to drop dead). Corporations have meetings to determine what we'll all see. At that table are lawyers, psychologists, marketers and focus group coordinators. They know for a fact that only so many people "need" their product. So they have to transform it into a "want". Or play on guilt "buy this toilet brush or your guests will talk behind your back".

If you haven't done so yet, binge watch Mad Men. It's a fascinating look into the way advertising plays into all of this from the early 60s.

14. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I am old fashioned. When on road trips I like to pay for gas with cash.

15. quark

quark Parts Unknown

All of the American franchises have almost completely switched over to online ordering.

You don’t even need to use the self serve computer station thing anymore.

I go to KFC or McDonald’s for breakfast pretty much every morning (laugh if you want, it’s one of the ways I stay sane). I’ll place my order when I’m coming down the elevator from my apartment, smoke a cigarette outside the building, then go in and collect my food and eat.

2D74D75F-C401-4C1D-8C42-6AB4B7E63AAD.png 46E2C1D0-BB31-4F1A-8B34-5034541DEB2B.png

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

ask him if he has venmo.

17. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes but Cash is usable ANYWHERE and cant be tracked to someone like if it was digital crap,etc......

Just a way to box people in even more!!

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

And you can have it all
    My empire of dirt

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

[​IMG]