The war agains trans people ramps up in Texas

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by KathyL, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

2. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

The unsupportive parent in Florida will typically have shared custody of the kid. If the kid goes to visit Dad for the weekend, as required by the custody agreement, the law means that the dad doesn't have to send them back home. Legalized kidnapping.

Piobaire and thepapasmurph like this.
  3. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

But then can't the other parent "legally kidnap" the kid? Or if we go another route, does the other parent have any recourse federally?

4. KathyL

I am not a lawyer and I don't know the ins and outs of your legal system. In my opinion, the other parent kidnapping the kid back would not be legal under Florida law. It would be both kidnapping and violation of this new law. Whether there is any legal recourse fedarally is something I wouldn't know. Possibly, since the first kidnapping crossed state lines. Such a case would end up in the Supreme Court, which is a laughable shadow of its former greatness.

The objective of these laws is not to create a consistent body of law. The objective is to normalize hatred of trans people and to persecute them. If they drive trans people to suicide or exile, they view that as a win. If the laws get overturned eventually, as long as hatred has been stirred up, they view it as a win.

~Zen~, granite45, Piobaire and 2 others like this.
  5. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

Well I didn't mean to ask you directly per se. Maybe more as a rhetorical question but still theoretical to anyone who cared to answer. I want to understand the limit of such a law, what if the nontransphobic parent in another assumed nontransphobic state equally claimed child abuse and claimed full custody with equal entitlement, so the shoe would be on the other foot. How would Florida try to reason this would be different?
    I suppose this could come down to a decision by the joke of the US Supreme Court that we currently have. We know generally what that decision would be.
    I also agree with you about the real intention of such transphobic laws, to a point. I don't think lawmakers have anything personally against transgender folks. They just happen to be a convenient scapegoat at this time of history. Twenty years ago it was the Muslims. Scapegoating Mexicans is now in second place. In twenty years, who knows? Safe bet is probably something that plays into the fear of protecting our children from something elusive and nefarious.
    [​IMG]

~Zen~ and KathyL like this.
  6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Uganda just passed a law to give gay people a DEATH SENTENCE for being gay!!!!! Could it happen here? One legislator here recently said "trans people should be TERMINATED ." You never know about right wingers and what they will say / propose.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. KathyL

Could it happen? Yes, it is already starting. The speaker at the CPAC conference declared that the objective of all the crazy laws being passed in state legislatures was to eradicate "transgenderism". Making it sound like it was some kind of ideology rather than people. But since the only ideology is "please stop killing us", what he was really talking about was eradicating trans people. You can't convert a trans person to be cisgender, so the only way to eradicate us is to kill us.

That is their plan. The laws are just harassment. Their goal is to make anti-trans sentiment among the population so normal that lynchings and eventually even judicial executions for being trans will become commonplace.

Except that, both in 1933 Germany and in 2020s United States, it is the trans people that they came for first.

~Zen~, scratcho and snowtiggernd like this.
  8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I guess I mis-wrote when I put terminated. Thanks for the correction.

9. KathyL

Well, while he didn't actually say those words, it is certainly what he meant, and what everyone listening (both pro and con) assumed he meant.

10. Lookin4fun60148

Lookin4fun60148 Members

Sorry, but there is no such thing as a safe space anywhere in the world for any living thing. Why trans people think they are more special and should be more more guarded and protected compared to everyone and everything else is ridiculous.

11. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

How dare they! Yes, unfortunately, no place is perfectly safe, although some are safer than others for some kinds of people. One reason why they might feel a need to be more guarded than non-trans folks is that there are more people who hate their guts and wish them harm.

12. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Why yes…they are special….so are the blacks and Hispanics and Jews and Muslims and liberals and…..until our society reigns in the haters and bigots, groups that have been victimized by hate will need special attention and protection. A community can not allow the latest vendetta to discard groups of people for a sick agenda.

13. KathyL

We don't want to be special or more protected than anyone else. We only want to be treated the same as anyone else. No place should be MORE dangerous for us than for anyone else. As long as people are offended at our need to not be murdered on sight, we will need safe places.

14. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Of course they need to be considered as humans like the rest of us.

ALL people need to be kept safe and protected, not attacked and vilified by political hacks intent on stirring up anger and hatred.

snowtiggernd and KathyL like this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Wow; what an incredibly ignorant and hateful thing to say!
    Yeah; Trans folk "should be more guarded and protected compared to everyone and everything else", because they're fucking under attack!
    Transgender people are 2.5 times as likely to be victims of violence than cisgender people. From 2017 to 2021, killings of Trans folk increased 93% (and at least 74% of victims were misgendered in police or media reports; adding insult to injury). During the same time frame, the number of anti-LGBTQ hate groups also increased by 43%, all in no small measure due to the constant hatemongering of the nation's largest hate group; the Republican Party.

Before spouting such bigoted vitriol, you really should fact-check your prejudices. It's usually preferable to keep your mouth shut and allow people to think you're an idiot, than to open it and remove all trace of reasonable doubt.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  16. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Being treated equally is not special treatment.
    Being not targeted for a hate crime is not special treatment.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

18. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

19. KathyL

These are not the Republicans that your parents or grandparents knew. It is not about small government and fiscal responsibility any more. It is about culture war. Their goal is total domination.

What happened is that they were quietly taken over by pseudo-Christian fascists. Robert Reich is exactly correct. These are the people that my father and father-in-law fought against 80 years ago. As long as they pretend to have Christian values, as long as they pretend to hold traditional Republican values, and as long as the country still holds elections, the gullible American voters will keep on voting for them.

As we saw in 2020, fair elections are not part of their long-term plan. And the only other way to get rid of them is WWIII. I am not looking forward to that. So the free world is counting on American voters to do the right thing and eliminate them in 2024.

20. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

People who haven’t been aware of the morph of Dixiecrats into frequently extremist
    Republicans, the increasingly hate filled manifesto of today’s Republicans, and their embrace of anti-intelligence have been asleep. Unfortunately that includes many of my relatives in Wisconsin who pull the R lever out of habit. If the stakes weren’t so high it would be just a blip of ignorance but society can’t afford to normalize hate.

Tishomingo and KathyL like this.