The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, Bob Dylan, Zappa, The New York Dolls

Discussion in 'Music' started by FemmeFatale, Jan 20, 2005.

1. FemmeFatale

FemmeFatale Member

Would you consider them to make "dark" music?

[​IMG]

2. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

VU- not the happy fun giggly side of psych
    Dylan- yes, encoumpased by death, but not dark
    Zappa- humourous...

3. flowerchild89

flowerchild89 Member

The Velvet Underground--Depends. They’re darker than many other bands in their genre, and the happy, light-sounding songs all have at least semi-depressing or strange lyrics…
    Bob Dylan--Not so much in sound as in content. I’m not sure I would call him dark, exactly…he did write songs that were depressing, but they were usually political too. He’s definitely darker than some other people in his genre/time period though, like Joan Baez or Peter, Paul, and Mary.
    Zappa--Not heavy compared to the dark music of today…but he tended to look at morbid-ish things in a humorous way

4. sleepy_ashes

sleepy_ashes Member

The VU - I'd say definitly, the emerging style they were using almost called for it. And their lyrics usually had a hint of the dark side.

The Stooges - Yes... but in a... not a humorous way... but something of the same vein, and light-hearted is too.... not the stooges I guess.

Dylan - Most definitly. I mean, yeah even the lyrics with the most down-trotten of messages seem slightly upbeat because of the style he uses. Folk and Country and Rock always seem to have a bit of an escape musically from the fate of their lyrics.

Zappa - He defintly had a dark sense of humor.... so yes and no.

Never listend to a lot of the NY dolls so I'm not gonna answer that I guess.