The Vampire Chronicles

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Autentique, Nov 26, 2004.

1. pansy

pansy Member

2. Anita

Anita Member

well...I can say that it's the Bible for me. After I have read the first one, I had been in that world for around 2 month. genous book.

3. ~AmyLeeLoo~

~AmyLeeLoo~ Member

those books sound great, i will have to get them. I love vampires.

4. PharaohWhim

PharaohWhim Member

Mmm...yes, I started reading the books around summer, because my mom told me that the only way I could go to New Orleans would be to read her favorite books (besides those of Steven Saylor)...and then Katrina happened...oh, crimony, I felt like utter filth. But, I did get a very interesting addiction in exchange for the guilt--rather looking forward to finishing Memnoch the Devil, my favorite, I dunno why...but I did like Queen of the Damned. The Tale of the Body Thief was actually my least favorite--I just thought it was too...bland, maybe is the word...but anyway...hahahah, these books are like a power--they had my mum pricking her finger and dripping a few drops of blood into her wine before she drank it.

I just wonder--how many of us would welcome vampiric immortality?

5. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

I couldn't stand em.

No wonder there's all these mincing vampire wannabees, dreaming of nights of same-sex interaction, blood and absinthe....

Lestat is a whiny little troll as is everyone else in that miserable series.

6. PharaohWhim

PharaohWhim Member

What's the matter with same-sex interaction, blood, and absinthe--especially if they're just dreams? It's not really trying to replace the Bible or anything--the Vampire Chronicles I mean.

7. cyberkaya

cyberkaya Member

I read these books & liked them when I was younger - although I didn't really care for Anne's writing style - a little overly descriptive for my blood.
    I read them again recently & wonder why I liked them before? Was it just because I have that romantic vampiricism? Quite honestly, I think they suck. I hate louie & always did. My affinity was for lestat - as was everyone's, but as I reread the second book I had to wonder why?
    Maybe it's just that your taste & style changes a lot in 15 years.

8. LostLass

LostLass Member

I started reading Ann Rice's books when I was 11 years old. Her descriptive writing is superb but I found, as the Vampire Chronicles went on (and on and on) that the books started to become so florid that they remind me of a fussy old lady's apartment with overstuffed furniture, lace doilies, cute collectibles, and ornately framed family photos everywhere. She is a writer who does not take kind to editing and has so much clout that she seems to get her way a great deal. Her vision is unique but her writing has become a bit too Baroque for my tastes.

9. Valdis

Valdis Member

I loved all three of those books! I only liked the first movie though.

10. flossy

flossy Member

You need to read about the Mayfair Witches and then continue with the Vampire books because she brings them together toward the last of her vampire books. This way you will have a history of the Mayfair witches when she introduces them into the Vampire Chronicles.

11. eud0xic

eud0xic Member

I agree - sometimes i think her pages are soaked with sensory overload.

12. Vana

Vana Member

Nope, movies do no justice... though IWTV is okay... Rice wrote the script... I'm sure that's been mentioned after 4 pages of posts, though...

13. Oh So strangE indeeD

Oh So strangE indeeD Member

Am I the only one who loves Armand? I guess. Coming from living in New Orleans and seeing the actual streets Anne Rice talks about, these books are amazing. There is an actual house which two men lived in and were reported vampires in the 19th century in New Orleans, which is just sexy. Anne Rice has honestly come out with the best vampire series there is to date, from Dracula on there is no world so succinct and perfect as Anne Rice's vampiric world. I respect people who don't like her style of writing but no one can name a better, more believable vampire universe than that of Anne Rice. Home girl has got it down.

14. secret_agent_amanda

secret_agent_amanda Member

I think Violin is one of my favorite books by Anne Rice.

15. Villi

Villi Member

No, the movies absolutly did no justice.
    Interview With the Vampire, Queen of the Damned and Memnotch The Devil are my favorite in the series, if you haven't started Lestat the Vampire yet I'm gonna warn you: you might become slightly bored. It's not that good.
    But all the others are.

16. hitsuzen

hitsuzen Member

I love those books. :)
    I need to read the rest of them, though... I've read as far at the Tale of the Body Theif

17. Valdis

Valdis Member

Well I've enjoyed quite a few of her books and I LOVE New Orleans. It's heartbreaking seeing the city now.

Armand as a character didn't turn me on but the actor playing him does!

18. Vana

Vana Member

Armand was adorable... but I liked Daniel much better :) Loved seeing his little cameo in Marius' book :)

19. Valdis

Valdis Member

I read them soooo long ago I can hardly remember the characters.

I LOVE your hair though!

20. Vana

Vana Member

Ehehe, thanks :) Daniel was that dude who Armand was all lovey-dovey with in Queen of the Damned :D ... then he disapeared for like ever.

FYI... Anne was a perfect devil for writing Merrick, then having absulutely NO closure on the topic of Louis. Argh.