The Uncomfortable Moment When You Realize You Might Be Stereotypical (Humor)

Discussion in 'Judaism' started by drumminmama, Jan 7, 2017.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I was sent this yesterday, and just to break with assumptions, I'm online on Shabbat.

http://www.frumsatire.net/2011/03/02/stuff-jewish-hippies-like/

Well, my challah can be torn, I don't pay high dollar for tzittzit, but I have a Rav Zalman Schater-Shalomi tallit and I wear it. My kippah is small, as I'm a woman, and it came with the tallit. I have typical beaded ones, too.

Scarves. Layers. Eco-Kashrut.
    No white fur hats, however.

He found my people! ;)

I actually like the author's work.
    I can giggle at myself.

1 person likes this.
  2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I'm stereo-typically Catholic, i.e., I haven't been to church in years, use birth control 'religiously', disagree with the official church policy regarding women being clergy, got no problem with premarital cohabitation, etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumminmama

The point of the satire piece was we hippies are outliers in Judaism, especially observant levels.

1 person likes this.
  4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't think i have to worry about being stereotypically anything. at least i don't stereotypically worry about it.
    i believe big friendly invisible things exist, that give great hugs, aren't infallable, and have nothing to do with what any belief claims to know about them.
    that the unseen isn't a hierarchy, and evil has nothing to do with refusing to kiss the ass of one.
    that chaos is innocent, if inconvenient, and nothing you experience has very much to do with them.

5. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

My ex is Jewish, my kids are half Jewish, and I've always found Jews extremely attractive. They tend to be either die-hard commies or hypsters-in-denial rather than dyed-in-the-wool hippies thanks to all the head trips about guilt and money, but there's one Jewish hippy I know who could ask me and about fifty others to jump off a cliff and we'd just ask him how high.

BirdFlu likes this.
  6. drumminmama

Jews for Jerry, anyone?

BirdFlu likes this.
  7. BirdFlu

BirdFlu resident alien

yes pls