the uncertainty

Discussion in 'The Future' started by thereaperman44, May 10, 2004.

1. thereaperman44

thereaperman44 Member

how do you deal with the uncertainty of the future and all the pain you know it may hold, and all the other shit that just doesnt seem to stop hitting you week after week?

2. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

Good Question!

I have been slowly learning, training myself to NOT live in the future. I mean, to stop 'projecting' into the 'what ifs' and 'then whats'.
    It seems to be a natural bad habit to do so, and, I think our market driven society fuels that thinking.
    (What car will you buy, where is your next vacation, when will you need us ....)

Take any given day from a year ago, now think of all the 'fears' you saw coming. Now review carefully. Probably less than 1/10th of those fears ever came to be.
    ..And you survived them didnt you?

So I am now spending less time worrying about the future and more time 'living in the now'.
    Its not easy ...but.. the wierdest and happiest thing is - when the actual 'bad times' come around, I deal with them more effectively!

Your right to ask the question though - My doctor was telling me that, right now his office is being over-run by hundreds of patients a year experiencing 'Panic Attacks'.
    This is simple the result of a society living in 'fear' of future events.

He called it a virtual epidemic.

To me, its almost like regular people 'sense something', even though we havent actually 'explained it'.

Some advice I got that helped - Dont worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will take care of itself.
    Live for today.
    (which is always what is anyway)

Good post!

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

first of all by realizing that the diversity of reality insures that it is just as full of everything else immaginable as it is of pain, though granted that there will always be some.

second of all there is such a thing as exploring trends and their causes, their real natural and or emotional causes. ever hear of something called the world futures soceity?
    you might read something by ursula leguinne called always comming home
    and while you're at it, check out the wff's website
    it ain't all just about bizdroidness and governments and all that
    www.wfs.org
    there's a lot of other things to read and learn about rather then wallowing in totaly gratuitous collective self pity too
    well you asked how. for me that IS how.
    detatchment WITHOUT irrisponsibility is another.
    buddhists are big on that one.
    so are a lot of other good folks

4. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i just do things to try to stop the future from fucking with me like keeping the earth clean and preparing for difrent man made and natural disasters

and also i just dont car about anything that may happen...just let it happen

5. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

I like your attitude WIllywonka.

As long as you have done all you can to be prepared - then you have nothing else to worry about.

If you do your end (when and however possible only) and the future fucks with you anyway - then so be it.

6. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

What happens happens. I dont think about what the future will hold for me or anyone for that matter. I just live day by day on this crazy journey called life. And find as much enjoyment out of it as I can, and not think of what the future will hold for me or the world.

7. Nistix

Nistix Member

The present is good but to make the future great work needs to be done by all of us!!!

8. TripAmerika

TripAmerika Member

I waste my time searching for the answers to impossible questions.

9. Andy73

Andy73 Member

If one could whole-heartedly adopt the attitude that nothing matters .. and I don't mean for just a day, or a week, or a month, or a even a year .. if one could adopt this stance completely and unconditionally, without faltering, then the problem would be solved.

There are only some people, due to a particular circumstance or quirk of fate, who are able to whole heartedly approach themselves and the whole of life as if absolutely nothing mattered. Most, however, will adopt the stance for varying lengths of time but always falter.

Fate, as a general rule (there may be some exceptions), is most easily accepted by retired or downsized middle-aged men who have families and whose children have grown up to live independently.

The group for whom an uncertain future is most difficult to cope with are socially isolated virgins under 35, and the worst hit are those with physical disabilities.

10. Andy73

Andy73 Member

In general, I would think that anyone who has raised a family will tend to find fate easier to accept. Simply because the point of nature is to procreate.

Anyone who can easily lose their virginity will tend to be less worried about an uncertain future and more equiped to accept things as they are.

11. Brain Food 101

Brain Food 101 Member

Besides, being cautious isn't a bad thing all the time. I obsessively dream up fucked up situations that could happen, especially about the people I love. Thinking about possible situations make me think about possible outcomes, which usually keeps me from messing up too bad.

12. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

How do I deal with the uncertainty of the future? I try to block all worries outta my mind. That's not easy, but that's the best way I deal with the future.

13. delphinium

delphinium Member

I tell myself that one cant change the past or predict the future, just live in the moment, the present and see the beauty, look for the beauty in everything.its there. and when things seem supremely funked up just remember *this too shall pass*

14. Acid_Rain

Acid_Rain Member

pumpkins for everyone!

15. Razor Face

Razor Face Member

Not very well. Here's a little advice? If you get really good at not giving a crap because it bothers you too much, you'll find it's hard to start caring when you need to (From personal experience of course.) The whole thing's a bother, so I usually find some sort of distraction…. say like.. typing random posts to people I don't know on the internet. J
    Demmit. I should get up and do the brakes. My mother in law needs her brakes done. Sheesh. Brakes are boring.