The Ukraine Crisis Part 2 . The Battle for the Donbas

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Captain Scarlet, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

It all kicked off yesterday as I had a day of rest .

The pendulum in my view has swung in favour of Russia .

In the Battle of Donbas the Russians will not make the same mistakes . They have got their Command and Control problem sorted it appears which bogged them down in the early part of the campaign . They have concentrated their forces which from a military point of view will improve things for them . The country is more open which will suit tank warfare far better .

All the above reverses any advantage the Ukrainians had and now with stretched supply lines .

Making sure Russia does not have Air Superiority will be essential for the defenders .

The West needs to offer more in the form of Air defence. tanks and Artillery .

Just the supply of a dozen towed 155mm howitzers from the USA doesn't do it for me . They need much much more and now before its too late .

3. Captain Scarlet

4. Captain Scarlet

Nice pic of BMP turret in this news piece from Monday

Ukrainian Pravda: link

5. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is why Russia wants the city and port of Odessa !!!

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  6. Captain Scarlet

I dont think its Russia's priority now . It lost 2 of its landing ships recently which will make it more difficult for a sea to land invasion force to be successful .

Its clearly switched its attention to the East to capture totally the Russian self proclaimed republics of Donetsk and Luhansk regions which make up the Donbas Region .

It may return its attentions to Odessa later, as strategy would dictate ,it would hold the rest of Ukraine to ransom as it would then be land locked .

7. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

There isn't one...

9. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Fuck Putin, Russia needs a face-saving exit! I would prefer the people rise up and overthrow him, but at this point I'll settle for a military coup!

10. Captain Scarlet

11. Captain Scarlet

This is the main area which will see very brutal fighting . Images will be scarce I suspect due the intensity of the fighting and the risks to journalist teams .

[​IMG]

A view from the Frontline showing Ukrainian defenders in a First World War style trench system . Still the best way of sheltering from incoming artillery barrages

[​IMG]

The Russian Frontline perhaps only meters away from the Ukrainian front line
    [​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  12. Captain Scarlet

13. Captain Scarlet

wrat1 and Flagme15 like this.
  14. Captain Scarlet

The Azov Battalion is still just about holding onto the Steel works In Mariupol . Things are very desperate as shown here

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjE1-fx3KT3AhWGbsAKHbwBCqMQwqsBegQIERAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBZgZMkfypU&usg=AOvVaw1x0ErGotNmfVy8sulw2eVV

They are a far right group and are thus disliked by some in the West. However they are paying the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good in not surrendering and fighting to the last . Thus tying up Russian resources which could be used further North

[​IMG]

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

16. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

17. Captain Scarlet

18. Captain Scarlet

Boris Johnson the UK Prime Minister stated yesterday that the Ukraine will be sent further tanks . From what I can gather after doing a bit of research as details were more skimpy than some of the bikinis on display in the Love and Sex Section on Hip. After some digging around I have found the following;

Apparently the UK is sending tanks to Poland and then Poland releasing more of its Soviet Era T72 tanks to the Ukraine .

I just cant see this happening as it would entail British Challenger 2 Tanks ( which are being replaced slowly by the rebuild called Challenger 3) going to Poland . The reason I cant see this happening is it would send Poland further away from standardisation . It already has T72s. OT91s ( Polish rebuilt T72s) German Leopard 2A4s and 5s ( purchased from Holland) and taking delivery of 250 of the latest M1A2 Abrams MBTs ( Main Battle Tanks) from the USA . So why on earth would it want another tank type ?

Another reason I cant see this happening ,is that the Challenger 3 is technically a rebuild of the Challenger 2 . As there are 148 Challenger 3 tanks plus prototypes to be built from the existing fleet of Challenger 2 which numbers around 250 . So doing the maths that would leave around 100 . Some will all ready be in the works being rebuilt . Others will be being cannibalised for spares to keep the Challenger 2 fleet going . That doesnt leave a lot left for Poland bearing in mind you dont want to leave the UK defenceless .

To conclude I cant see any sense in this arrangement . I also know one of the reasons that Challenger 2 tank is being replaced is due to spares shortages as many of the components are no longer manufactured . This forced the British MOD to get the Challenger 3 programme going . Another reason, I think this a non starter and perhaps some journalists trying to come up with some interesting headline news out of this . The PM and other politicians apart from those with a military background like the Arms Minister tend to refer the term "tank" as any armoured vehicle for the modern battlefield . So I think it was regurgitated news about the British built Mastiffs that was announced a couple of weeks back .

I would luv it if I was proved wrong here :)

Below . The Challenger 2 . Staying put
    [​IMG]

More realistic The mastiff armoured Truck

[​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  19. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Realistically speaking, for how long can Russia keep losing equipment and manpower at this rate, before even their boneheads are forced to admit that this isn't fucking worth it?

20. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx