The Ukraine Crisis Part 2 . The Battle for the Donbas

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Captain Scarlet, Apr 9, 2022.

1. wrat1

wrat1 Members

At some point the need to "shit or get off the pot" is going to come in to play here

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

I think it will be soon .

Finland have just submitted their formal application to join NATO .Watch this space :)

scratcho likes this.
  3. Captain Scarlet

4. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

This is currently not true. Right now the Finnish parliament is mulling over a report that was submitted to them earlier this week that weighs the pros and cons of both joining and not joining the Atlantic defense alliance. It will then be decided, based on these talks, whether or not Finland should apply, though in the current political climate, with the threat of Russia growing larger, it's expected that the Finnish parliament, and all its political parties across the board, will be overwhelmingly pro-membership. With the exception of just a few individual MPs, nobody in the parliament is against joining at this point, and they also have the popular support from the Finnish people now.

Most of the large parties have already stated their opinions. The National Coalition of Finland is the most pro-Nato party at this stage, with the Center party and the Finns party also either fully supporting, or at least not opposing joining. Prime minister Sanna Marin's party, the Social Democrats, are expected to announce their final stance on the matter "within weeks". They too are expected to be in favor of joining. If and when Finland will submit its membership application, it will most likely be during the June 29th Nato summit in Madrid, Spain, where president Sauli Niinistö of Finland will officially submit the membership application.

Sweden is expected to follow Finland and simultaneously submit their own application at Madrid on the same date.

Captain Scarlet and Tyrsonswood like this.
  5. Captain Scarlet

I guess that will teach me to cross reference my sources first more often :)

Reading between the lines ,I think Sweden could get there first . Both countries will be decent additions for NATO and Sweden has a very good Navy. It is a country that develops and tests new weapons as I have seen on the Discovery Channel .

Finland has a long history with conflicts with Russia/former USSR such as the Winter War during WW2 and conceded territory at the Treaty of Moscow in 1940 .

What is for certain it will be a double wammy for Putin.

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Booby-traps left behind by ruthless Russians in Kyiv Oblast

Kiev Oblast is a province in north-central Ukraine, surrounding the capital city of Kiev but not including it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

8. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Yes, Putin indeed misjudged his opponents, and severely underestimated them. This is now costing him dearly for sure. Military blunder of a century from a 2nd rate Stalin.

The Swedish Jas Gripen is also an excellent fighter plane. It turned out really well after what was a really troubled and difficult birth.

I saw those hand grenade traps in Sylvester Stallone's Rambo III. So they actually do set them up like that.

scratcho and Captain Scarlet like this.
  9. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

10. hotwater

Another Russian general has been killed amid the invasion of Ukraine.

The deputy commander of the 8th Army, Maj. Gen. Vladimir Petrovich Frolov.

[​IMG]

11. Captain Scarlet

They lost another General ? lol

12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I just wish it would stop.

And I feel like there are motivations that have gone under explained. Possible motives for attacking Ukraine... conspiracies. Does it shape our perception? I believe that it does, yes! Significantly in fact.

Well, we see it right now, don't we? Can the changing world slow the devastation in Ukraine?

13. Captain Scarlet

Hey Soul you know your history

Putin sees Ukraine as part of Russia rather than an independent sovereign country .

Where Putin contradicts himself IMO is that he is prepared to destroy the population of Ukraine to get it .

Whilst it can be seen that he has curtailed his plans due to the inept performance of his military to concentrate on the Donbas Region ,his ultimate aim is as before ie the whole of Ukraine.

14. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

15. hotwater

It was Russia who made the announcement rather than Ukraine because they realized they were losing the propaganda war.

16. Captain Scarlet

[​IMG]

More increased missile attacks and extreme pressure on the defenders of Mariupol whose Heroic actions are still just about hanging on . Being a realist its only a question of time before its in Russian hands unless the defenders can be resupplied .

17. Captain Scarlet

An interesting update by WION . Putin having a moan about the US sending military Aid. Yet its Okay for Putin Head to send mercenaries and other countries troops like Chechens. Desperate comments from a Dead Man Walking

scratcho, Tyrsonswood and wrat1 like this.
  18. Captain Scarlet

An excellent update by DW who are a German broadcaster .Its all in excellent English . It features an English Military Analyst who knows his stuff and an update on the desperate situation on Mariupul

19. Captain Scarlet

I have included this video as its quite funny in places and emphasises the key role of such a tiny country in the NATO jigsaw and details of how they helpd Ukraine in its fight against Russia

scratcho likes this.
  20. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter