The Ukraine Crisis Part 2 . The Battle for the Donbas

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Captain Scarlet, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Oh They have. And nearly 2,000,000 reservists who will need very little training .

The Russians never throw anything out unless forced to do by agreements that have been entered into . They have vast warehouses and storage facilities of stored equipment . It wont be upto the spec of the equipment currently in use but against a very much weakened Ukrainian army they can be still effective .

[​IMG]

I can identify some of these tanks as being T55s . A type which is still used in the Arab world. The tanks with the "bricks" on are T55AMs . An updated version of the T55 and was introduced to various Warsaw Pact armies in the 80s . East Germany or DDR as it was then was a big user of these.

[​IMG]

The vehicles near the front are BMP1or could be BMP2 Infantry Fighting Vehicles . Still in front line use by Russia .

The pictures are of a Siberian storage facility . All the vehicles are likely to have been sprayed with some sort of anti corrosive protection . Some storage facilities will be proper warehouses and obviously keeping better than these examples. The buildings could have more tanks contained inside or be mothballed servicing areas to be activated during times of war. Mechanically they are simplistic compared to Western tanks and therefore easier to get going again .

hotwater likes this.
  2. Captain Scarlet

From Above

A Soviet T 55 Tank . An old design and not a patch on Western tanks . A old favourite of Arab armies such as the Iraq army of the Gulf Wars . If they outnumber their opponents they can still be very effective

[​IMG]

The T55AM. A modified T55 tank with better optics and Era protection for anti tank missile defence . An 80s modification
    [​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

4. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

I can assure you, they're not quite THAT scared. Not after witnessing Russia's piss poor performance in Ukraine. Just covering all the bases now...

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  5. newo

Think about all the death and destruction the Russians have brought down on Ukraine. The Fins and Swedes damn sure don't want that happening to them. Russian aggression must be curbed.

6. Captain Scarlet

The Finns have been on the end of it before in the Winter War 1940 . I am convinced its memories of this that has caused the delay before.

7. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

This is 60 Minutes Overtime

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    Tyrsonswood likes this.
  8. Spectacles

Captain Scarlet and Tyrsonswood like this.
  9. newo

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

11. newo

One reason for the invasion is Putin doesn't want Ukraine joining NATO. As a result, Finland and Sweden formally submitted their applications to join NATO in May 2022, while two other countries have formally expressed their membership aspirations: Bosnia/Herzegovina and Georgia.

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

13. sureño

sureño Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The threat against these two countries seems to me to be particularly shameful. Attacking countries that live miserably is not the same as attacking countries like the Nordics,that are one step ahead (perhaps several steps ahead). Like they have reached indeed the twenty-first century. Russia continues to fight as if they were in the eighteenth century. Very sad and pitiful the role of Russia.

14. Captain Scarlet

Sorry guys for not being around but with Candy Gal being on holiday ,I have been busy doing Moderating Tasks .
    Thanks for keeping things going on here :)

15. Captain Scarlet

[​IMG]

The use of indiscriminate artillery shelling has been a key issue and bone of contention in this conflict . Very World War 2 esque , proving the the old Soviet doctrine still plays a major part in Russian Federation military doctrine . A lot of it is caused by these the BM21 Grad rocket launcher . The Ukrainians also use these and there have been counter claims in the Donbas Region by the Russians that the Ukrainians have been attacking villages there using these . Obviously tit for tat .

They are primitive and unguided and rely on multiple launchers for a carpet bomb effect and no doubt civilian infrastructure will be hit.

[​IMG]

Below is a picture of the WW2 version the Katusha . Very similar in principle and workings . Just shorter range than their more modern equivalents . These were used in vast numbers by the Soviets in WW2 utilising many different lorry chassis to carry the launchers.

[​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  16. Captain Scarlet

Please find below a very interesting new video by David Willey the curator for the Tank Museum at Bovington England .

I have met David and he is a true gent and knows his stuff.

Please dont be put off by the title , it isnt a tread heads guide to the T72 Tank but a very informative presentation on the role of the tank in this conflict and highlights the poor command decisions made by the Russians

17. Captain Scarlet

For completeness I had to add this CNN Report on the loss of the Steel Works at Mariupol

18. Captain Scarlet

This is another Mariupol video from a Medic

Because of the medical nature of some of the scenes ,viewers discretion is recommended before watching

19. newo

20. Spectacles