The Truth + Goodbye

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Amanda N, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

I promised myself that I was not going to post anymore, that I was going to just leave and forget all about you... I guess I just broke that promise... but that’s OK, because I feel I’m here for a good reason, to give you this message before I go...

Truth is subjective: what is truth for you might not be truth for everyone else. We all follow different paths: but ultimately they end in the same place. If you live a good life, you will be rewarded. I personally don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’m not talking about that type of reward - there is no external reward nor punishment for your actions, only your own (there is no heaven, there is no hell, just the life you are living now). You will be rewarded for your life in this lifetime, even if the reward is just the memories you have. You are responsible for your own salvation, no one else.

I has been fun chatting with a few of you, others of you have just jarred my head, but all in all, it’s been fun, but now I must go, I’ve got bigger fish to fry. I don’t know if I’m leaving the forum or not, I might poke my nose in from time to time but Amanda N will not be posting anymore.

2. thumontico

thumontico Member

Perception is subjective, truth must be strictly objective else it is not truth.

I agree with the bold except for my (possibly erroneous) interpretation of your views on reward. Reward is nothing, it may come or it may not. In any case award based ethics are an abomination.

Please do not leave, too often are rational thinkers dismayed at lack of progression.

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

" the truth is stranger than fiction"

4. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

i dont think you should leave but can i ask you a question? Do you think christians that are preachers should not preach? should not go to extremes to save you?

5. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i was just extremely amused by the egotism rampant in her signature. apparently she hold the ultimate truth and perfect insight. how awesome.

6. kiss_the_sky

kiss_the_sky Member

Yes, and how open-minded.

I really really really can't stand it when people say they're open-minded when in fact they won't accept any truth but their own.

7. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

There is a diffrence between being open minded, and accepting something as truth. For example, being open minded means that you'll spend the time listening to someone and their ideas... that does not mean that you have to accept what they are saying.

Anyone could say anything: that there are elephants on mars - that JFK was assanated by his own government - that Paul McCartney died in a traffic accident back in the 60s, etc... What's true and what's false?

I agree with what she has said in bold, except for the truth part... I agree with it, but feel that 'truth' is not the best word to use (although I love the way christians are happy to throw the word truth around willynilly, and themselves are normally unwillling to listen to someone elses opinion) - maybe as thumontico suggested, the word should be 'Perception', aka:

"A person's perception of truth is subjective: what is truth for you might not be truth for everyone else."

yeah, that sounds quite good if you ask me.

(PS, I've been reading some of the posts she and youlot have been having, and to be honest with you, it's 6 of one, half dozen on the other (i.e., you're both as bad as each other).

8. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

whatever, she says she's gone...do we need to continue to talk about her?

BTW-kiss-the-sky, is that a bahai te,ple? and if so, which one...i really like the design of it

9. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

I can't answer for her... but I think very much NO. It's not the place of christians - or indeed anyone else - to tell someone how to live their life (there are exceptions to that rule, such as if someone's life is in danger, or it's encrouching on someone else's freedoms, etc..)

I respect that christanity have XYZ view on the world, and they feel that if they don't lead and good life, and suck-up to jesus, then they will go to hell... but that's not the only path in life.

After all, have you died before? do you know for sure that there is an afterlife? and that if we don't do as you tell us, we're for sure going to hell? Because I've never died before (tho, that's debatable, depending on if you believe in reincarnation), so I'm willing to take a chance and live the good life that I (not anyone else) thinks is right.

10. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

Sure, why not? I mean yes... she could be an ass... and very firm in her delivery, but I still think she had some very good idea... and this post of her's was a great example of this...

Meh, I've said all I wanted to on the subject...

11. kiss_the_sky

kiss_the_sky Member

Yes that's a Baha'i temple, the lotus temple in India. I regard it the most beautiful Baha'i temple, a friend of mine has seen it in real life and I'm so jealous at him!

And wow, the world of dan came back! :) I agree with you, I wasn't too satisfied by the word truth either. But it is annoying that she did ask for someone's opinion and then just didn't listen. The point of a discussion, in my opinion, is not convincing someone of your ideas but learning from eachother.

12. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

*Blush*
    That's true enough... but if I was to ask your opinion on, say, straws (you know, the type you drink out of), and you liked the ones you could bend, but I preferd the normmal stright ones.. we're not going to agree. Sure, we've learnt something about each other, but we've not changed our opinions.

You're right, it is two way system.. but from what I read, the other side was as unwilling to give in as she was (and this is just my intrepertation of events, but I think she was more interested in trying to make people understand her, and why she thought the way she did, other than activtly convert people to her way of life (where as, if i'm honest, a lot of people she was argueing against would have patted themselves on the back if she had given up, and chosen to follow).

Meh, it's not important... I just think you should not be too quick to judge people...

13. kiss_the_sky

kiss_the_sky Member

But she could have KNOWN Christians would not change their views, I mean, there's not so much sense in religion most of the time, right? But I agree with you that both sides were rather stir (is that a word? - I really need to work on my English :H) in their opinions.

14. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

completely off topic...but dan, that is by far the coolest bumper sticker iv ever seen. i wants it [​IMG]

15. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

no, she was not interested in listening. that much was clear. she was here to deliver her gospel, just like the over-zealous fundies. it was pretty much the same conversational tactics. i lost interest. now she has moved on.

16. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

I WENT TO IT!!! haha, when I was in fourth grade, I was bored, but my parents dragged me to it. They were giving speeches about religion, its in Delhi- I think they made it as if its a lotus because they think it is uniting all the world religions- each religion is one lotus petal I think.

17. kiss_the_sky

kiss_the_sky Member

I am SO jealous of you :eek:! I really really want to go there sometime. And yes, the lotus represents the different world religions. It's in a Baha'i teaching somewhere, that all religions are but petals of the same flower. All Baha'i temples have nine sides btw.

18. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

Well I guess you get preachy atheists just like you do preachy chirstians. It all seems like unnecessary stress to me. Live and let live, that's my motto =)

19. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

This vacuous goodbye is as devoid of content as the rest of her posts. Yawn.

20. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

Just because you disagree with what she said, that does not mean it's devoid of content... I happen to think what he's posted in bold in this post was very important... a message to everyone..

And her opinion is as valid as everyone elses... sure, she might not have put it across as well as she could, but that changes nothing.

but meh, each to their own...