"The troops are fighting for your freedoms and without them you won't have any"

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Inquiring-Mind, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Inquiring-Mind

Inquiring-Mind Senior Member

I think it is bullshit but what do you guys think?

2. akdjfaskdfjasdjflkdj

akdjfaskdfjasdjflkdj Banned

For the most part no. I think the many government agencies that provide our national security also fight/protect our freedoms, and without them we wouldn't have any. Many people here will disagree with this becuase they believe the government is out to get us and that the US is turning into a police state, so thi thread is probably going to get into another endless argument. I personally do not. I do believe that there is a growing, emboldened enemy that would love nothing more than to see the US wiped of the map, and I am thankful that our government is there to provide security. We have the luxury of oceans between us and the home bases for many of these people, but there are still some home growns out there. I am cautious as to what the government does, but I have trust in the system and in the members of our government that they will not abuse the power and use it for the right reasons. (Which seems to be working so far).
    I am proud to be a citizen of the United States and have our military represent us. Although I very strongly disagree with the abuse that has come to light, I do not believe that this represents our soldiers whatsoever. Our military has not only done an excellent job defending our country, it has done a better job than any military in history defending, liberating, and rebuilding countries all over the world. To say otherwise is simply not true. It is easy to see picture of Abu Ghraib and judge the entire military. Just as people may see a picture of us hippies and judge all of us. Labeling a mass by the actions of a few is naive.

3. aoacoder

aoacoder Member

stop reading popular press...

4. Treymayne

Treymayne Member

Troops and the government two different things but when you have a Japaneese style KO do ha and the troops realize it is the government that supress the freedoms of the people than that is a beautifull thing. Because than they dont stand a chance.

5. Treymayne

Treymayne Member

INflitration is the only way to revolt. oi oi oi

6. Beyond-the-Clouds

Beyond-the-Clouds Senior Member

Their not fighting for my freedom, their fighting for the Iraquish people's freedom.

7. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

thats why theyve killed hundreds of thousands of iraqis, right?

8. Beyond-the-Clouds

Beyond-the-Clouds Senior Member

I know it dosn't make since. That's just George Bush for you.

9. makno

makno Senior Member

and i feel soooooo free in this prison ship of a fucking country , soooo fucking free !!

10. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

its the troops doing the actual killing, not george bush :rolleyes:

11. Megara

Megara Banned

well said.

12. Zer0_II

Zer0_II Member

Of course there are groups of people and even foreign governments that would love to see the US defeated. The important question that most people fail to ask is.. Why?

13. citrus_seas

citrus_seas Senior Member

it wouldn't solve anything if the Americans failed because they lost the Vietnam war, and it didn't do any good, it just made the made the "straight society" see the American government for what they really are, assholes. George Bush does now that by himself.

14. confessor

confessor Member

There's a hint of BS there, but for the most part I'll have to agree with akdjfaskdfjasdjflkdj (I hope all that stands for something :) ) Who knows right now what exactly the troops are fighting for, I doubt very much it has a whole lot to do with anybody's freedom, but I'm still glad the troops are there, regardless of their current agenda.

The troops are only doing what they're expected to do. Which is more than you can say for Bush.

Why? we stick our nose - and our troops - in places that don't concern us - We seem to think our way is the only 'right' way - and the whole world should see things the way we do. Arrogance is a nice way to put it.

And with all this 'freedom' we have ....

It doesn't matter if we 'win' or 'lose' this one, the Iraqis are screwed either way ... And with a leader like Bush we ain't much better off.

15. beatricequab

beatricequab Member

they aren't fighting for anything...it's just another Vietnam, there hasn't been a draft yet but...just wait

16. citrus_seas

citrus_seas Senior Member

excatly..i'm damn glad i'm Canadian..because we won't have a draft..and if it does come to Canada(probably won't come until AFTER i'm 18, obviously) , then you're seeing the first motherfucking Canadian draft-dodger, and you bet your sweet ass that's the truth.

17. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Dude, we have it better than most of the rest of the world, so chill. Yeah, there's shit I really hate about our government and laws, but we're still pretty damn free. Calling it is a prison ship of a country is pretty lame. Compared to much of the rest of the world, and almost all of history, we're living damn well.

Who sent the troops? Who's the commander in cheif?

18. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Freedom spreads freedom, that's not a saying, it's a historical fact.

19. experimenting youth

experimenting youth Member

The war may be right; I don't really know but with the money they spent on it they could have done much more good e.g. The War In Iraq Costs

$230,405,397,134 so far

Instead, we could have fully funded global anti-hunger efforts for
    years.

20. Megara

Megara Banned

can we put a price on liberty?