The Top 10 Scariest Films Ever Made

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by savingbe, Mar 4, 2014.

1. savingbe

savingbe Guest

Hollywood has been scaring people as part of cinema culture for as long as any of us can remember. This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, as scary movies have continued to become increasingly popular over the last couple of decades. However, deciding which movies are the top 10 scariest films ever made can be difficult, as much of it (like anything else) is a matter of opinion.

Hollywood knows even if a horror movie does not become a blockbuster, it will still have a pretty big opening weekend based on built in audiences. This is why Hollywood and all the major motion picture companies continue to crank out movies that scare us… they are taking our love of fright straight to the bank.[/url]

We all have our favorite scary movies. Some are classics, some are newer, and all scare us to death, yet we come back for more. So what are the top 10 scariest films ever made? I think we can agree that many on the list below are some of the most frightening movies we have ever seen.

The 10 Scariest Films Ever Made

10. “CARRIE” (1976): Most of us have been to some sort of prom, whether it was your own or someone else’s. However, prom night was never looked at the same way after the master of horror (Stephen King) allowed Hollywood to make “Carrie.” Sissy Spacek puts on a chilling performance of the mistreated and misguided title character. She is mistreated and made fun of, but little does anyone know that she has telekinetic powers. Remember the pig blood scene?[/url]

9. “NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD” (1968): Yes, scary zombie movies are being put out at a wild pace right now, as zombies are the hot thing right now in Hollywood. However, George A. Romero started it all way back in the 60’s when he released “Night of the Living Dead.” This low budget Horror film went on the become one of the most talked about Zombie classic films of all time and has inspired such horror big guns as Sam Raimi and Wes Craven.

8. “JAWS” (1975): Not all horror movies have to involve demons, zombies and ghosts. Some of the most talked about horror movies of all time (as you will see as you read on) have nothing to do with any of those things. Case in point? “Jaws,” which left audiences thinking a lot differently about going into the water. If you don’t think Jaws belongs on this list, then take a few hours to go back and watch it again. The movie about a massive shark that terrorizes a coastal New England town went on to be one of the most popular movies ever made, horror or otherwise. There isn’t a person reading this who wasn’t scared to get in the water after watching this film. Not only that, but the title music on the soundtrack (da dum, da dum, da dum, da dum) has become one of the most recognizable pieces of music in the world.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Why did you stop at 8?

3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Carrie wasn't scary at all.

4. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I saw "Night of The Living Dead" in the video room of a construction site in Cairo when I was 13...Scared the bejesus out of me.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its just an age thing, I remember Andromeda Strain scared the crap out of me first time I saw it, but was like about 6, and it wasnt even really a horror movie

I dont find any movies scary nowadays, unless Rob Schneider is in it, but thats a different type of scary

6. Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote Member

Mr. Smith goes to Washington - not so scarry to me, but very terrifying to politicians with the idea that someone shows up in DC who isn't owned by big money graft and corruption.

7. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

The Shining.

8. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

The Exorcist

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

i was just a kid and wanted a rabbit.. parents thought not..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulXFB3-A3c"]Night of the Lepus (Best Clips!!) - YouTube

10. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

11. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

'IT' scared the crap out of me when I was 9.

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Uhmmm, let me guess.

Guest account
    One post
    the text is actually copy/pasted from the site being promoted with "hotlinks" that originate in China (and are trucking company's :confused:)

So my guess is because it is just an ad post for another forum, The Movie Forums

not a bad thread idea though...

13. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Hellraiser
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Signs
    Night of The Comet
    The Descent
    Saw

14. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

1. Anti-Christ - too real. About the animosity we can have for loved ones; the pain we/they could inflict on them/us if that animosity took over.

2. Red State - first death is the scariest thing ever put in an American movie

3. Funny Games - dares you to root for violence; tells you what a sick fuck you are
    4. Enter the Void - about life and death; mostly the death part of life

5. Irreversible - you could do one thing in the heat of the moment andruin your life forever

6. the Theatre Bizarre - amazing horror anthology about addiction, existential pain, jealousy, heart-break, life & death, wasting your life by watching things..

7. Psycho - the shower scene.

Only one on my list is strictly horror; though some are a mix of horror and other genres. Horror movies are silly; most are too far removed from reality to be anything more than unsettling.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I watched It around my 10th as well. Let's say it was a mistake to let me watch it... The only times a movie really scared me was as a kid. Another movie I remember that scared the crap out of me as a kid was about some family that hits other cars of the road, then take the people back to their barn where they keep them alive and harvest their organs one by one. Can't recall the name. I definitely see the use of age ratings... :p

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The Exorcist (1973)
    The Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    Alien (1979) and the sequel (Aliens)
    The Ring
    Friday the 13th (1980)
    Halloween (1978)

and this little gem from director David Cronenberg...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA"]Scanners (1981) Head Explosion Shot - YouTube

Hotwater

17. nedahardy

nedahardy Member

For me the conjuring.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Cannibal Holocaust, while not scary, kinda shocking.