The times they are a-changin'?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by BuddyBuds, May 8, 2004.

1. BuddyBuds

BuddyBuds Member

I'm so sick of pop music, well really pop culture in general. It's all about getting famous and rich now a days (as i'm sure you've all noticed.) I can't help but wonder, when oh when are things going to change?

Myself, I'm a (wannabe) child of the late 60's and 70's. I love rockin out to the doors, beatles, hendrix, cream, the who, and especially LED ZEPPELIN on a warm summer day. I'm so sick of all the morons in there SUV's, dressed in their suit and tie, carrying their breifcase, talking on there cell phone, and drinking a latte, listening to the latest top 40 hit. Even the kids, and the chicks, are so into their rap and hip hop music, that they allways seem angry at people they meet, instead of friendly. Like their allways on the defensive looking for some weaker person to exploit. It's not about the music to them, it's about the money and the image. Me and my buddys will be rockin out, while they roll up their window and sneer.For the past few years I've just been dying for a change, will rock and roll ever return?

But lately, i've been noticing a few interesting things happening. Driving through the city a few days ago we stopped at a crosswalk. we had the windows down and we're blaring the doors 'when the music's over'. these two cool party chicks crossed infront of us and started yelling to us and dancing to the music. they flashed us the peace sign and kept going. my friend turns to me and says "See dude theres ton of people out there just like us, and we're growing too, i'm ready for a change".

Then yesterday we we're driving back to school and were listening to "American Pie" on the radio. we arrived before the song was over and wanted to hear the end, but both had some place to be so we turned off the car and headed back on campus. just then a car with all the windows drives by BLASTING 'american pie' on the same station we had jsut been listening to. The best part was, looking in the car we noticed it was a balck guy dressed in a 'hip-hop style' and he was absolutly JAMMIN out to the song. My friend turned to me with a smile and said "it's a sign man, the times are changing."

What do you guys think? has anyone else been noticing this? My mind instantly went to vietnam. the vietnam era produced some of the most passionate, lively, and simply best music in history (in my opinon). Theres just a feel you get when you listen to the music, and you know the artist was into it, the chaos and turmoil just made for some great music. Now i'm noticing little by little, that this 'war on terror' becomes more and more like vietnam everyday, with no end in sight. People are getting fed up with things, and in turn getting sick of the music of today. perhaps we have another 70's on our hands? all the ingredients are there. and while i would like to see the war over today and there be peace, part of me can't help but feel the energy thats building up and get excited. Rock and roll, we're ready and willing, please return!

2. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

well life goes in circles... we are in for a change soon, you know? I do believe people are going to become calmer, friendlier, more relaxed. Society can't keep going as hateful as it is. Somethings got to give.

Peace,
    Eryn

3. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

Hey Buddybuds!!

I totally agree with what you said in your post. I too despise how corporate music has brainwashed the minds of the young, by selling them this product based on looks and bling bling, etc. However, not all hip hop is like that. Mainstream hip hop, rap and all music that promotes, violence, ganster lifestyle, and shallowness in general is what young people listen to nowadays and it's a real shame. today's generation does not have a conscience. everything is material, everything has to be expensive, glamorous...

there's not a common feeling amongst young people, like in the 70s, most teen and youngsters wanted to "make love not war"

I'm afraid the whole idea of love and peace is seen as something that should be laughed at. I've got a lot of hassle over the past few years cos of my participation in the anti-war movement. I go to a inner-city college, where most people are more concerned about their own problems (like getting the lastest mobile phone design) and I've been often called fucking hippie or shut your gob, but i couldnt care less to be honest.

When people start using their brains and see what's actually happening around them is when they'll realise the beautiful things in life, like good music for example ;-)

I could write a lot about this, but I wouldnt get anywhere.

Peace

PS: maybe our children will really see any sort of change in the future. I hope.;)

4. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

oh, good gods, not another one! :rolleyes:

that's ok, we like you anyway. and i do get what you're saying about the shallowness of pop culture. actually, i have a friend who is really into alternative media and he was pointing out that more and more the mass-marketed pop culture is less and less reflecting the actual interests and ideals of most people. and yes, current events do play a strong role in that.

5. charredacacia

charredacacia Member

"be the change you wish to see in the world"

6. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

rock is making a come back both old and new its gunna be great!!

7. Velouria

Velouria Member

I agree with you. I have been noticing that music seems to be (slowly) improving. A lot of great bands are getting back together (like the Pixies!) and some of the newer ones are actually good (Velvet Revolver). And we should all be greatful that the boy band thing has been over for a few years!

8. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I cant wait til the guys that play spoons finally get the Money and groupies they deserve.

9. superNova

superNova Member

i've never been the kind of person to judge people based on the music they listen to or how they dress. and it's always kind of amused me how people who fit most closely with the definition of "hippie" seem to be the ones who do......

for example:

i go to wake forest, a private school in north carolina attended predominantly by white upperclass kids. in the same town, there's the north carolina school of the arts, a prestigious arts school. the people who attend this school are more eccentric, as it were - fitting much more closely with the hip persona than the people at wake forest.

whenever i go to parties, people are always like "oh so what are you studying at the school of the arts?" and i always answer "oh, i don't go to the school of the arts." and they ask where i go, i reply wake forest, and it always has great shock value. and they always quickly reply with "man you so don't look like you go to wake forest! and that's such a compliment!"

and i'm like look like i go to wake forest? what the hell does that mean? and why is it a compliment to not look like i go to a certain school..? way to be judgemental, i mean really.

while it's nice to find people we have things in common with, it's not the only thing that's in important. in the words of jewel, "in the end, only kindness matters." and some of the kindest people i've known listened to p-diddy and wore clothes from abercrombie and fitch. so ....

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I don't care for any cliches or stereotypes.

I don't have anything against people who drive SUV's if that's what they like. Live and let live is what I say. By putting down people for not seeing life the same way as you is sort of intolerant in itself. I judge people on who they are, not based on superficial things like what they wear or what kind of car they drive.

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Shit, I personally would fucken love an SUV!

12. Pressed_Rat

I am not a big SUV fan. They use up too much gas and serve no real purpose in on-road driving. But at the same time, I am not going to be some hippy/nazi and put people down who choose to drive them.

13. metro

metro self-banned

I don't care if it's judgemental, if you drive an suv and don't use it in a responsible manner chances are I dislike you. Most suvs aren't even driven off-road, they pollute much more and increase our dependence on oil. Hummer drivers can die. I judge people by their actions and driving an suv is one of the actions I look down on.

14. joe

joe Banned

Fine i hate you too

15. Pressed_Rat

I am willing to bet almost $1,000 that one of the members of the Grateful Dead owns an SUV. Hell, it doesn't even have to be the Dead, but any 60's band of former "hippies" turned sellout yuppies.

Hell, MOST of the people who drive SUV's are baby-boomers.

16. metro

metro self-banned

why, are you an ignorant redneck hummer owner?

17. Pressed_Rat

They do increase our dependence on oil, but so do people who own boats and sports cars, and I don't see anyone going after those people.

As far as SUV's polluting the air more, I don't necessarily agree with that. I have seen many old, poorly-maintained VW buses on the road which seem to be emitting far more junk into the air than SUV's. But because most "hippies" base reality around cliches and stereotypes, they fail to see this.

18. metro

metro self-banned

That would be even more sickening, but I don't care for that band especially so I wouldn't know. I despise hypocrisy too. I think a lot of folks feel they have to "keep up w/the Jones" or whatever and "impress" everyone w/their vehicle, it's pathetic. They feel more powerful in a big gas guzzling ride.

19. joe

joe Banned

no i am a poor Puerto Rican ford 94 explorer owner Suburbarian, any more questions?

20. metro

metro self-banned

I think people go after them, probably not as much though. I do. I'm annoyed by most motorized things. If people would not overuse them, perhaps everyone could use them in moderation.
    Yes, old vehicles that belch out disgusting exhaust fumes aggravate me also, I don't favor any type of pollution over another. I just look at the facts. I doesn't matter to me if the polluting is done by a yuppie or a "hippy", I don't like it.