The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education

Discussion in 'Self-Help Books' started by Unfoundedaj3000, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Unfoundedaj3000

Unfoundedaj3000 Member

What do think would it be a good or bad idea to drop out using this book as a guide?

2. Unfoundedaj3000

Unfoundedaj3000 Member

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I read that book as the parent of a kiddo wanting to leave public school.
    Said I'd support his decision IF he made a few goals/plans based on ideas from the book.

I support independent self- and parent directed schooling if the kiddo is responsible enough to actually DO something to expand her educational horizons.
    Lazy kids who just don't want to go to school typically won't do anything to further their own education without structure.

I'd suggest any high school student wanting to do this create a "curriculum" for real life and a plan for fulfilling it, showing the benefit of each activity.
    Then share the information and the book with a parent for feedback.

Really, learning is a life long adventure. It should be challenging and ultimately fulfilling and enjoyable.

4. Shredda_King

Shredda_King Member

It's a great idea if you plan on going to Never Never Land. In the real world, not so much.

5. drumminmama

Actually, I attended uni with four or five self-directed students. (until uni, of course)
    Typically, they were active classroom participants, high scoring on tests, very good with projects (although group projects were a bit harder because of work styles), and competent socially.
    Wound up writing a series of articles on high school and life experience and how that impacted students.
    All of them are doing quite well in their fields (including me, since I won a writing award last year).

6. Valdis

Valdis Member

I love this book. I tell everyone about it. It's a great outside the box book. Oh and my girl is in the honors program and has a four year scholarship at the college that she attends. It's one of her fav books also.

7. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I would read the book with an open mind, but don't get swept up in it with only your emotions. Make sure to rationally think things out.

8. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

the problem with theories and ideas is that they are not always feasible in real life. the way our society is structured, it's an unfortunate truth that those without a high school diploma are at a disadvantage when it comes to competing with others.

9. drumminmama

I think self directed schooling and a GED is a fine combo, as trade or higher Ed is possible that way.