The Swan

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by feministhippy, May 22, 2004.

1. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

We're in the fucking Twilight Zone, we are.

2. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

feministhippy...you said "it shows that normal woman can be attractive"...but how do you figure that having women undergo plastic surgery shows that? I mean, I've watched the show, and I personally like makeover shows. But I just don't see how you are saying that that show shows that normal women can be attracive. All that show is saying is that by the power of plastic SURGERY...normal women can be attractive...lol.

I'm not a feminist and personally...whatever, if you want plastic surgery...go fucking get it...I don't care. But at the same time, I don't feel that that show gives a positive outlook on a woman's attractiveness. I think that some of the shit they do to those women is ridiculous. They don't choose women who really "NEED" surgery...they just choose women who are actually decent-looking and have a good chance at being a beauty queen at the end. For some of those women that they chose, I was blown away that they'd touch them...because seriously, a lot of them were fine-looking to begin with. All some of them needed was a new hair style...maybe contacts, and some makeup...a new outfit, etc. Also...by the end of the show, every fucking woman looks the same...tucked and pulled, slim, huge-chested, "perfect"-looking faces, "perfect" hair...etc.

I dunno really where I'm going with all this. I guess the show is kinda like a car-wreck to me. You drive past it, and you know it's so horrific, you shouldn't look...but you can't help it. Yeah...that's what this show is...a car-wreck. I know it's so bad, I shouldn't watch...but I can't help it.....

3. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

1. It shows how a normal woman can be attractive through completely doing surgery on them and changing who they are. Rather than making them proud of who they are, they just give them a new face. Give plastic surgery to people who need it.

2. They seem happy with the results because they're most likely, its just a theory so don't jump on my balls, but they seem happy because they're most likely made to believe so. And they're so artificial looking it's ridiculous. Rather than a makeover, and some therapy and classes in confidence or whatever they're just rebuilt. It's disgusting.

3. It's not just a show; everything in pop culture has an impact and influence and I guarantee some woman who is decent looking will say "If they can look good, I'll spend thousands on surgery and look like them too."

4. IMO I think they're manipulated. You think the execs go, "We'll rebuild you and itll be gruesome and then we'll pit you against other sexy women in a contest". I bet they make it sound as appealing as possible and prey on their insecurities.

I hate reality shows, but as I've said before, they're good only because it gives a glimpse into what cruelty humans are capable of.

4. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I think the show's producers should go back to these womyn in two or three years so we can see that none of them had ANY of their previous problems solved by this show. Of course, they won't do this. They could call this show "Mentall Illness and Low Self Esteem on Parade." I will be betting that none of these womyn will feel any better about themselves in the coming years. DeeZee made a good point that you can't fight entropy, and that these womyn will age just like everyone else, and will have a worse time with it than most people. Good assessment of why people like Farrah Fawcett and those like her are so messed up. Funny thing, men get disingiushed as they get older, womyn get OLD. Yet an other double standard.

5. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

Everyone made some excellent points...
    I just hate how they called them "ugly ducklings" in the previews when it first started...
    Aging happens to everyone...people should embrace it and not be scared of it...
    I just cant believe the extensive about of plastic surgery these women got..
    Geez, and what is it teaching their children...
    Looks fade, your heart and soul doesnt...
    People should love and be happy with the skin that they are in...
    And these women didnt need plastic surgery..most of them looked worse after...and you know its going to go straight to there head...
    I would never change the way i look...it is me..what i was chosen to look like..
    And it seems like plastic surgery is so common now...it is a dangerous procedure and there are so many risks involved..
    And dont you just love it when the doctors point out more shit that they need to have done, things that never bothered them....
    Its just ridiculous cause why they are all about being glamorous and vain..they are children who could use surgery, there are people who have been burned, in accidents and so on...but i guess vanity and glam comes first..

6. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

And I don't get it; I've always had a thing for older women, because a lot of women actually get sexier when they get older.

And you made an excellent point Maggie sugar. Just because you fixed the outside of the house, don't mean the inside is in tip top shape.

7. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Another thing I don't get, the women that had kids didn't see them for 3 ro 4 months! I can't stand it when my daughter is with her father for the weekend, much less be away from her for 4 months!! Wonderful parenting.

8. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

I just think it would be creepy to have pieces of plastic in my face, and still call it my face. I wonder what the hell that feels like. Gives me the creeps just imagining it. But to each his own. I feel really sad for these women who can't just love themselves for who they are. That is what they need to be teaching society, not how to change to fit someone else's idea of beauty.

9. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

What I don't understand is...every woman gets fake tits, right? But isn't it true that with implants, you have to reDO them every 4 years or something? So what I'm wondering is...alright, the show pays for your implants NOW...but in 4 years time when your implants are turning black and decayed, and you have to redo them...who the fuck pays for them THEN?

10. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

As far as I know you are correct, you do have to get them re-done every so often. I'm still stuck on the foreign objects in my body part. icky poo poo.

11. dotadave

dotadave Member

exactly, and people say the corset was barbaric

12. Cosmic Butterfly

Cosmic Butterfly Member

Sometimes I wonder what our modified corpses will look like. Bones and melting silicone sacks. Metal, plastic, and more... I think of our future race marveling at us, and perhaps wondering what were we thinking.

13. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

What would FOX care? They did what they wanted with them. when the women have difficulties with their surgery or an infection, you think FOX is going to be there to pay for the surgery? No way.

14. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Perhaps these women should have thought about that before they let some doctor cut them up.

15. lovelorned

lovelorned Banned

Whoa nelly! A swan..

figures.

16. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Member

i like the swan, i think its one of the cooler dharma bunkers. remember that time charlie went to the swan and saw the one eyed guy from the others on the video hub, that was creepy, then jack and kate wound up killing him, but i digress... if i had to choose between the swan bunker and the arrow, i would choose the arrow, that place is bad ass