The Summer of Love????

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by Flight From Ashiya, Aug 10, 2005.

1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

As a child 'in' the 60's, my memories are somewhat contradictory.
    As I, recall: -
    > The conflict in Vietnam: Horrific Television pictures that brought the brutality of war to the living room home. - Those visual memories cannot (/should not) be forgotten
    > The Protests: the beginning of unrest was around, older brothers, sisters etc. were beginning to be more pro-active, and the seeds of rebellion were sown.
    - This was balanced against
    > A Spectrum Kaleidoscope: Headbands, Kaftans, Dress + Flowers, Paintings and Art. Vivid optical illusions that couldn't help but grab the attention of the general public.
    > A time when the 60's had literally gone from Black & White to Colour in an explosion of glorious exuberance. It seemed to capture the imagination of the youth.

It is this that I recall most.
    The Youth of the day were positive in their desire to challenge the norm. "Because I said so", was no longer an acceptable response to a questionable course of action. In creating this attitude of desire , more often the question asked was. "Why", and pro-active and productive action was taken when injustice was seen to occur.

I was fortunate that in school, the teacher I had, encouraged us to comment, question and participate in social interaction. We talked about what was being shown and talked about on TV / Radio (for you youngsters out there, yes it was B.C. - Before Computers). He taught us at a significant point in time, that we all had a responsibility to observe, challenge and change the problems we faced. The encouragement I was given, I feel, was key in developing my philosophy of life.

1967: 'was' a significant year

<*Peace + Love ~ Save the Planet*>