The Summer of Love????

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by Flight From Ashiya, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

people get confused by the "69"

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Ah, yes. That IS a good time... ;)

3. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

Lol! '69' is an all year round 'summer of love'!!!.[​IMG]

4. PSYCHEDELICA MAN

PSYCHEDELICA MAN The psychman

:)

5. young_hippy_4:20

young_hippy_4:20 Member

i wish i experinced it i wish we could have a second summer of love!

6. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

if you wish to experience it, get off your fat ass and make it happen

7. MidtownMind

MidtownMind Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wasn't alive for it (I was born in 1973), but I'm pretty sure most would agree that Haight-Ashbury, where it was born, was a pretty depressing place by the beginning of '68, in contrast to what it was like 12-18 months before.

And by the time of Altamont, truly the very end of the 60s, it really had become just a dream.

The '70s? Fuhgeddaboudit! Totally different animal. Except for those little places here and there, where the dream was kept alive. I've heard that Austin (yes, Texas) was one of those places, in the early '70s.

When I refer to it being a dream, I don't mean anything derogatory about it at all. It's a very worthwhile dream, to be sure...one that I think a lot of people can still learn some things from, and carry with them.

What was it Gandhi said? 'You must BE the change that you would like to see in the world." Something like that...

Peace & be well,
    Midtown

8. libertarian Joseph

libertarian Joseph Member

I don't think 1967 was the "summer of love," the US was illegally occupying Vietnam. A lot of dying.

9. homeiswheretheloveis

homeiswheretheloveis Member

Everyday for me is the summer of love. but i wish i was there in 66 or 67 in san fransico summer of love.

10. sophie20

sophie20 Member

yes, how great it would be to another summer of love? it would be great that hippies reappeared. there are so many things to fight against. there is still war, can we just get together again? i know it is not that simple but i dont think it is imposible.

11. nananie

nananie Member

start small with friends and stuff... it grows bigger if the vibe is right :)

12. sophie20

sophie20 Member

i think it depends in ourselves to make it bigger. how do you think the hippy movement took place? we cant just sit still waiting for something to happen. if you are a real hippy you would do something so changes can take place even if they are small. it is nice to talk about old times and stuff but hey we need to do something now. otherwise we would be just pretending... dressing lik a hippy, and pretending u are one is not enough. you have to act!

13. stev90

stev90 Banned

You ain't a hippie if you're one of those war freaks and war pigs who sign-up for and support George Bush and the establishment's stupid wars.

[​IMG]

14. sophie20

sophie20 Member

hey stev you got it completely wrong. i dont support war or bush( never!). I just say it is time to do something if we want changes. Love and peace it is all very nice but what are we going to do for that to happen?

15. stev90

stev90 Banned

Hi sophie, my post wasn't meant for you.
    I was referring to those among us still support Bush's stupid wars but due to being manipulated by the politics of fear, they still think it's the right to do.

Woodstock 1969 itself, was partly a protest against the Vietnam War.
    Blind support for Bush and this corrupt establishment's stupid wars is one reason why this country is sooo fucked up nowadays.

16. sophie20

sophie20 Member

hi stev, sorry i missunderstood. I agree completely with u. i do think Bush war is nonsense, luckely he'll leave power soon. Irak's war has caused so much harm( and still causes it) for nothing. No war can be justified but this war is just stupid!

17. NoLabel

NoLabel Member

keep on peacin' and lovin' it up to set examples! Make love not violent opposition! If we were to act in such a manner we would be just as idiotic as they are. We may not ever be able to reach a unified 'peace and love utopia', and if others do not see this as 'utopia' then it would be a contradiction for us peace lovers to try and impose our vision of what humanity should be like on them. 'Love and Peace' can surely be a personal experience and does not need to encompass the majority of people, and we sure as hell should not take it as an insult if the majority does not seem to be 'aware' of our superior outlook on life. It is all rather subjective and the people who want it will show it, those who don't will not. And it makes no sense to try to impose our will on them for that is exactly what they have been doing to us.

18. sophie20

sophie20 Member

hi non label I think u are right in that we don`t need to impose our ideas on others like they have done to us. There are other ways to transmit our ideals( starting with our own example). However it doesnt mean that we have to sit quietly just waiting for things to happen. Some action is needed. Even the great leaders like Gandhi did something.

19. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I thought it was 1969?

20. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

Hmmm???....I'm sure that 'The Summer Of Love' is exclusively;the summer of 1967.Of course it can refer to summer '69 but the 'Manson Family' slayings were that summer & dominated the news in such a way that,America in particular began attaching new door-chains to front doors etc.& the 'love' disappated into 'fear' of long-haired weirdos & the counter-culture.How many more 'bad hippies' were out there?.
    Having said that my point at the start of this topic was that the Vietnam War was on full throttle in summer '67 but everyone remembers the 'love-ins' bells,beads & pretty music.
    The poll reinforces this.
    What the f***?.I believe that summer '67 was 'The Summer Of Love' also, I think that the school history books should officially recognise this as de-facto!.Let the kids know that it happened in theory,rather than practice.
    I posted up in videos:"Love Every Day" by Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart from June/July 1967.The message is eternal & the summer of love can prove that life can aspire people to love,share & care in the future although there is little of that in demoralised 2008!.