The Strokes, Jet, and all those...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ginge, May 16, 2004.

?

"60s/70s Rock Revival" Bands

1. Yay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay

37 vote(s)
    60.7%
  3. No Opinion

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

If someone think Henry Rollins was cool and a great rockstar, then they probably weren't around to see how he ruined Black Flag.

Jocks don't rock, the two should never be mixed....punks should not come across like marines.

Everyone seems so concerned with originality, yet they cite Elvis as being an example of a great rock & roller, he didn't even write his own songs and completely copped his style from black r& b musicians. Every band has influences, especially in this day and age....I'm just happy to see that the bands are influenced by the VU rather than fucking Limp Bizkit like a few years ago.

2. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

Like I said, Henry Rollins before he sold out.

3. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

and I'm saying Black Flag's good years were prior to him even joining the band that horrible evening in Washington DC when he jumped up onstage and started to sing :D

To eaches own, I'm just saying htat the Strokes are good AND popular, not the best band ever, but good.

I have a feeling if someone stumbled into a small club and heard the Strokes without knowing who they were, they would be into it.

now Jet and the Vines....well they are Australian and not the Birthday Party so you know they suck! ;)

4. schmokes

schmokes Member

amen. even the catchiness of be my girl couldn't save that band, jets horrible.

5. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Just curious, TenCentArcade... what the fuck do you care what music people listen to? I don't care what you or anyone else listens to, and I just can't understand how you can get pissed off because someone likes The Strokes. Who gives a shit? I sure don't.

6. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

I haven't completely decided on what I think of these bands overall, I've only heard some samples of their music now, and so far I'm ambivalent over whether I like 'em.

But anyway, I really don't see it as bad at all that interest in 60s/70s rock influences is being rekindled. In my opinion, those two decades had some fucking good music and so it sure ain't a bad idea to look to that era for inspiration and influence. And at least these bands seem to have noticeable skill with instruments (though they could be more imaginative with their craft), which sadly is pretty damn rare in a lot of rock today, in this era of nu-metal crap and sloppy, subpar grunge wannabes. If many of these bands are copycats, at least they do a decent job of it in this age of copycats.

And if not done excessively, plagiarism isn't such a absolute sin, and to an extent it's simply inevitable in music. Sometimes, plagiarism can be a way of homage in music and art - imitation can be the best flattery.

7. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

hmmm... you're funny. :)

Is this big type conpensation for something else small... ?

Oh well, thanks for the laugh.

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Of course there is nothing wrong with incorporating influences into your music - everyone does. But some of these bands do nothing to expand on old concepts, to create their own sound.

Yes, there is some great music that comes from the 60's and 70's, and there is still great music being made today. You just have to look for it. You're not going to hear it on the radio or see it on MTV.

It just seems like most of these bands are more style than substance. It's one thing to be influenced by certain bands, but it's another thing to go as far as to dress like them, which to me is just lame.

I think progression is much better than nostalgia.

But for the people who see the garage-rock revival as nothing more than campy fun, I guess there's nothing wrong with that. Some of these bands do have some pretty catchy songs.

9. schmokes

schmokes Member

i agree with you for the most part, but then again i dress somewhat that way [except id take Dickies over jeans anyday], so i think that their clothes shouldn't really matter. especially because most bands that take a lot of influence from older music spend their lives in that whole scene, so it's only natural that they all dress that way. i wouldn't call it 'packaged' as much as i'd just call it very stylized.

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

So basically they're wannabes.

To be in a band that's rooted in the 60's and 70's "sound" (whatever that's supposed to be), doesn't require living a Led Zeppelin lifestyle or being part of any "scene." Actually, most intelligent bands despise such cliches.

Then again, most intelligent bands are doing things far more creative, thus being completely ignored by shit like MTV and mainstream FM radio, who were eating this revival fad right up two years ago. That's because there was a lot of money to be made on this trend, as is common with all trend-oriented music that dies out in a matter of only a year or two.

The sex, drugs and rock & roll aspect of so-called "rock" music has been so overdone. It's hardly "hip" anymore. All that decadent image-type shit is so outdated and moronic, and that mentality coupled with music often makes for such uninspiring, unoriginal drivel.

If bands focused more time on their music than the image they sell to the record companies, we'd probably be hearing much more better music.

But that's just my opinion.

Clothes and style are absolutely meaningless when it comes to music. I just think it's kind of funny to see some of these bands that are so clearly trying so hard to regress back to 1972. It's kind of comical, really. And yes, many of them are packaged this way by the record companies.

It looks like this garage-rock fad is already starting to die out (if it's not dead already), proving it to be nothing more than a passing trend. I think most people are looking for a breath of fresh air than something that's been recycled and rehashed over and over.

11. just_some_chick

just_some_chick Member

i'm not impressed by all the "punk pop", and i'm not too impressed with this oldies music fad.... I like most of The Donnas music, most of Damone's music, and some music by Jet, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Von Bondies. as for most of it though... and all the overplayed songs on the radio, it just makes all of it seem fake. But if a band isn't played on the radio or MTV 5 times a day, I figure it must be more realistic.

12. opium_eyes

opium_eyes Une Canadien Errant

i like it. especially alot of the old stuff by the white stripes. if i didn't know any better i would actualyl think they were from the 60s/70s. even though all of these bands are commercial and mainstream some of them really rock pretty hard.
    and i don't know who said it, but someone mentioned the way they dress, and i have to agree. very good dressers, especially the hives. "garage rock", as their calling it, really tickles my fancy... mainstream or not.

13. Gringo Starr

Gringo Starr Banned

Who cares if it's new or old a s long as it rocks.I like the Strokes ,Kings of Leon and White Stripes a lot although they are not half as good as the originals.

14. ~MorningManiacMusic~

~MorningManiacMusic~ Banned

I rememeber seeing that band "jet" on "Saturday Night Live"...Me & my dad thought they were gonna shred but they fuckin' sucked sooo bad!

HAHAHHAHA the fuckin'guitar playeR dID that lame ass solo...

15. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

I love the Strokes!

and I love the datsuns

eeee I touched each singer of both bands!!!

:) okay, so I'm a little teenaged when it comes to rock stars... but eeeeeeeeee

16. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

i thought the kings of leon were ok but i was put off by the singers voice. he sounded to me like emler fudd from bugs bunny.

and yeah jet cant do complicated solos, but ive found that people seem to respond better to real basic solos anyway. like a two note solo some people are like "wow, how do they do that?"

17. Kitaro

Kitaro Member

Please, correct me if I'm worng, but I strongly believe Jet and the Strokes have a typical 80's sound. Sorry, but I reallu think they do :confused:

18. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

the strokes have an early 80s kind of sound, and jet have a 70s sound.

none of these new bands really have a 60s sound at all. its all too big sounding to be 60s.

19. Gravy_Train_Gilmour

Gravy_Train_Gilmour Member

all of these bands are simply trying to capitalize on this whole "garage rock revival" bullshit, without having to actually put out good music.

20. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

I'm sure they didnt pinhole themselves as being "garage rock" its usually other people that make a band famous.

I mean, does it matter, at least its not really bad pop music. Its better than half the shit out there.

As for The Vines, they got into trouble when people found out they put on a shitty live show and people threw things at them, as far as I know, theyre not any better now.

Really the only thing that is iggy pop about Jet is that one song. Their image isnt iggy, their other songs arent iggy, its just that song. Thier iage is more a generic seventies rock thing, they wear rolling stones and ACDC tshirts, they dont go mad on stage, rip their clothes off or pose nude for photographs