The Strokes, Jet, and all those...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ginge, May 16, 2004.

?

"60s/70s Rock Revival" Bands

1. Yay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay

37 vote(s)
    60.7%
  3. No Opinion

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. Hippy_Smurf

Hippy_Smurf Member

Someone mentioned The Mars Volta - just thought I'd suggest that everyone have a listen to De-Loused in the Comatorium album if they can get their hands on a copy. Amazing.

2. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I see absolutely nothing wrong with these kids idolizing older bands, and somewhat capturing that sound, but i definately see something wrong with them cutting a cheap record, shaking their ass on the television, then going home to pile up their money with a fucking pitch fork. Garage band my ass, nay

3. mjoda

mjoda Member

yay or nay -- does it really matter? I won't lie, if I'm at the bar and I hear that 1-2-3 song by Jet I am so on the dance floor, but as objective music listeners, we shouldn't be blinded by the fact that these bands are for sure marketed and sold to listeners as hip, rebelous, fashionable rockers. I mean, please, the hair, the clothes, the songs -- it's all there to fill a niche that's considered "hip" right now. I'm not denying that Jet, the Strokes ect. are real bands, of course they are, but Christina Aguleria (sp?) is a real singer, and Avril Levigne (sp again) is a real musician too. They are all marketed to fill a certain niche. Like 'em or hate 'em, I think the important thing is to realize is that just because Jet ect. may sound cool and rockish, they are no less a product of the music industry as Avril, N'sync, or Britney are.

4. sonik

sonik Member

decent music
    dothing new
    very cliche
    more fashion then music

Generally if I hear one of their songs (those "garage" rock revival bands) I wont turn it off. Buts its nothing I actively seek out.

:cool:

5. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

I suggest you at least borrow and listen to "Highly Evolved" and "Your New Favourite Band".

I suggest you don't listen to Winning Days unless you really get into the Vines.

I admit that with so many, the The's popping up and so little of them being that good except the ones that we still remember now it is easy to be detered. I could swear 2 years ago there was about 100 different the The's and half of them were just borrowing their sound from the rest.

By the way, I forgot to mention the Super Furries (the Super Furry Animals).

You wouldn't believe the way the croud erupted when Craig Nicholls starts singing "Gotta get outtatheway, theres no time for mistake and I'm FOOR YOU!!!"

Anyway, see you later.

Sebbi

6. WatchinUfromtheBridg

WatchinUfromtheBridg Member

Even the name revivalist is a problematic name in itself...it means that those band are just suckin all the blood of their 60s or 70s old brothers...and all that is a fuckin false point of vue...They built their own songs way before.
    In history of rock or pop (& in all other categories) Bands always had been influenced by other bands...even the stones suck muddy waters & chuck Berry riffs...the hollies and the beatles do the same to Berry,Buddy Holly or the Everly Brothers...so detractors have to shut up their fuckin big mouth...
    Even band called progressive like radiohead (if i play the big mouths game) are "stealin" the pink floyd and king Crimson...
    For me every band from Oasis to Radiohead , or from The "psychedelic target without any control " called Vines to the Zep"sized" The Music are all bands who give their bricks to a building called rock n roll (and dont stop givin me bricks i just wwwant it to be BIG) ...a sort of Apple Records n2 if u want...

nb:(what follow is not essential to your vision.......you still want to read it?....ok i advertise you)

-zep suck cream, yardbirds & blues
    -the doors suck Them ,the Animals, and Ray Manzarek was notably influenced by Zombie's keyboardist Argent
    -duran duran two first album were heavily influenced by the late seventies Bowie recordings
    -Genesis follow Traffic steps
    -The Byrds and the Beau Brummels were influenced by each other and both band were influenced by Dylan and the Beatles (everybody were influenced by them at that time anyway)
    -Hendrix dont hide his love(and influences) to the Cream and Dylan
    -The Vines are into supergrass ,kinks,nirvana,beatles etc
    -The Music into Stone roses,Led Zep
    -Jet suck the stones AC Dc, the Who and even the beatles

So come on everyband is suckin everybands blood ...
    So Relax(check this song from "the Who sell out "records from 67,greaaat tune) take a deep breathe and drink a glass of what the christian are callin "the blood of the Christ"...i think u guess...

7. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

i put "nay," because Jet is really boring...i do, however, enjoy their trippy music videos.

8. CUtheRE

CUtheRE Member

Of Montreal? i dont know if they're apart of any rock revival but their sound is very reminiscent to the beatles to me. check them out on ofmontreal.net
    if you were going to download off of soulseek or something, look into their

Then Who Will Protect Big Oil, Our Children? album

pretty good stuff actually.

9. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

i'll listen to the songs, if they're on, but that's about it. nothing too spectacular. i feel like these bands will fade away pretty quickly.

btw, everyone keeps comparing jet to ac/dc, i don't see it. when i first heard them, i was trying to think of who they reminded me of. all i could come up with was maybe the who...

anyway, i have no problems with bands being heavily influenced by other bands, but to really have much staying power, i feel like they have to bring something new to the table. from what i have heard, most of these guys don't.

10. peacegal

peacegal Member

I like them, for the simple reason that I like the 60s-70s sound and look. I like loud guitars and long hair and bellbottoms. I could care less whether or not it's in fashion, because I have pretty much always liked that stuff, and will continue to like it whether it's played on MTV and sold in the mall or not. It's just personal preferance.
    One nice thing about it is I can occasionally turn on some modern music without being blasted by Britney crap every second. I've also actually started buying new CDs again. For a while 99% of albums I bought were 25-30+ years old.
    I don't think the Strokes, Jet, the White Stripes, Rooney etc. are going to overshadow the classic rock groups by any stretch. But like halter tops and plaid bellbottoms, they are "new" oldies in a style I enjoy.

11. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i kinda dig jet, for some reason they remind me of AC/DC

12. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Yeah, I have to agree that I actually like The Vines' album Highly Evolved. Their first single, which most people seem to base the band on, is actually their worst song. There are some really good songs on Highly Evolved. Don't get me wrong, The Vines are not one of my favorite bands, but I do have respect for Craig Nicholls. He writes all of their music, plays all guitars, did percussion on half of their first recordings, and plays piano. Hell, he even painted their album cover. I think The Vines unjustly get grouped in with these "revival bands" when they're, in my opinion, a notch above.

However, overall, I say 'nay' to the whole "revival" thing.

13. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

FUCK NO! GIMMICK BANDS SUCK DIRTIER DICKS THAN FREDDIE MERCURY!

Edit: And Jack White winning two Grammys should be a fucking felony.

14. Lucifer Sam

Hahah... :D

15. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

I was given that Jet CD as a present. I listened to it once in the shower, and didn't do much for me. I don't think that Jet is the best one of these bands by any means but they are the only one I have really heard. Kinda boring, most of their stuff. It's fun and all, but I've got the Who and AC/DC to do those songs, so kind of makes them unnessacary. Also, it's a bit of a shame, everyone telling these bands, and these bands telling themselves they have to "save rock and roll" or "bring good music back" etc. , it definitely puts a limit on creativity. Maybe without this element, it wouldn't sound so... forced. Overall, a step in the right direction, I suppose, but not quite there. Fun, yes. Quality, probably not. I vote "I DON'T KNOW!"

16. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

Jet, the strokes, and all that are ok. they are nothing new, they are very contrived. most of them arnt even proper garage rock, not in the "nuggets" sense of the term.

but i like these bands. alot of people seem to have something against bands with a "the" infront of their name. but almost all bands have always had a "the" infront of their name. its just what sounds good.

i think jet are like a cross between acdc and 70s rolling stones, and iggy pop, and oasis probably...

the strokes are more new wavey new york punky. and the datsuns are like deep purple.

the term garage rock is used now it seems for any band with guitars in it.

but i do agree that bands should try and get past their influences and come up with something new from it. thats the trick, and its not easy to do.

how many people here like The Fuzztones?

17. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

And I think we'll see a wave of this soon. For example, some friends of mine have a band called June, whose main influences are Phish and Smashing Pumpkins. But they aren't just that; they expand on previous ideas, and have made something somewhat new. That ability to innovate and their technical talent (all four members have been musicians since they were small children) is what makes them special.

18. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

if you like these kind of revival bands check out the site

www.garagerock.co.uk

there are lots of new bands listed in the bands link...from all around the world.

19. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Eh, I don't mind if there are "revival" bands. If they play good quality music, then it's all good.

Are the Hives this sort of band? I haven't really heard them but they're often all dressied up like the original British Invasion moptops.

20. Lucifer Sam

I don't know... they're the only band I know of that is sporting the British Invasion / early British psychedelic style... of course, it's their look that is similar to the British Invasion, not their music.