The Streets???

Discussion in 'Music' started by HappyHaHaGirl, May 20, 2004.

1. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

Why's everyone talking about The Streets like it's the first time British people have rapped? We've been rapping just as long as the Americans.

Mike Skinner (of The Streets) is not exactly a good example of a rapper. He's not an MC, he just talks. A much better example is Dizzee Rascal, who's probably the biggest name in British rap at the moment.

But there have been so many amazing British rappers and if you've never heard of any of them in other countries then there's gotta be something seriously wrong with the world!

p.s. I love the streets, too. Although songs like "Fit But You Know It" are not my cup of tea.

2. dee

dee Member

yeah he's not exactly the best of rappers, doesn't sound like he's trying to be. I like it cuz it makes me laugh and I can relate to some of it. You've gotta hand it to him, he's done well for himself and his mates.

3. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Yeah don't get too caught up in deciding which genre fits The Streets the snuggest. First heard the "Let's Push Things Forward" single and thought they'd be worth looking into. And during downloading their debut it was obvious Skinner was a pretty good writer, and funny.

The songs from that all seemed like little stories, which was great. But after a bit it just wasn't doing the trick musically. 'A Grand Don't Come For Free' I like a lot more. There's some real effort gone into the music side of it. Plus with the album having a concept it's helped make his storytelling better.

4. dee

dee Member

yeah I agree with ya bokonon, the second album is definetely better. My cousin got the first album and played a couple of tracks on my system and I thought it was a load of crap. "not quite eminem is he" was one of my comments. Didn't get to track 3 before I liberated the cd player.

Since then I've managed to listen to the whole first album and my opinion is that it's ok and listenable, funny, but musically not that great.

5. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

I thought the first album was brilliant. The only tracks I've heard from the new album are Fit But You Know It, which I don't like, and Dry Your Eyes, Mate, which is very good. But I'm hoping there's plenty of garage on the second album — that's what I liked about the first album.