The spectral superiority of the LED grow lights

Discussion in 'LED Growing' started by mark2012, May 22, 2012.

1. Jasmine J

Jasmine J Guest

Yes, although led source is a kind of cold light source, there is still heat dissipation, and the heat will affect lifespan of led lights. So heat dissipation is also a lable to evaluate q
    uality of led grow lights.

The led grow lights is useful or not, it depends on light spectrum & light intensity.
    And how long the led lights can last, it depends on power & heat dissipation system.

Considering heat dissipation, aluminum material / copper / silver is a good option, due to their high thermal conductivity performance. Among the 3 material, Silver shows highest thermal conductivity, but too expensive. Copper is the 2nd highest onthermal conductivity, it's over 3 times higher than aluminum performance, and cheaper than silver, so it's been used for high quality led lights. Aluminum is the most economic thermal conductivity material among the three option, and it's widely used on the led industry.

2. multicycler

multicycler Guest

I am a physician by trade in Canada. So I know my science, and don't judge who or why people garden.

Being a professional, my reputation is rather important, and being caught being a gardener is not a good thing.

LED's work cause I can do it in a closet with no worry of venting or fire risk. Kinda important things in a house and having neighbors.

Outside gardening is nice, but the unpredictable weather in Canada affects results.

PM me questions if you need specifics about yields and cost and the science.

Happy gardening to all. Please keep questions for medical advice to a minimum.......lol.

3. multicycler

multicycler Guest

I prefer using the Canadian made DiamondBrites. Sold only by GreenLamp dot ca (ca stands for Canada). Their prices were half to two thirds that of competition with same per LED wattage and spectrum spread. They promote anonymity, and have a lifetime warranty. Any other maker only offered 3 year warranties.

I grew a couple of cycles, with high density white russians, and got same growth rates compared to my old HPS lights Got at least 90 grams per white russian plant, while covering each square foot with an average of 30 to 35 watts. Less than half the draw with my old HPS.

Growing for medical reasons is legal in Canada with signed doctors form, and guess what........I'm a doc. Talk about having an "in", in the avoid legal hassles department.

4. JeremyAlvarez

JeremyAlvarez Guest

Looks like you have deep knowledge about led lights. I want to use them for my small new aquarium. WIll they work or should I like for some other options:sunny::sunny:

5. hashcraze956

hashcraze956 Guest

I am planning to buy LED Lights from Initial-LED. A lot of people suggested me this brand. I checked their website too. The have got a huge variety of LED lights. Any suggestions ?

1 person likes this.
  6. zastag_27

zastag_27 Member

I'm considering setup a small growroom with LED lights only to grow Auto-Flowering seeds during the winter months. But the reason is only less space, less heat and less electricity. But if you have big space and can consume lot's of electricity than LED doesn't need to be use necessarily.

7. PeterTan

PeterTan Members

how can i choose the best led grow light?any help?

8. Gazz77

Gazz77 Members

Hi Guys, I am at the moment building a closet grow, 2 plants for medical reasons, have bad arthritis everywhere,
    severe depression and anxiety, painkillers is all I get, and long term use of these isn't good for you, anxiety depression medication I simply don't take,
    Newbie 1st time grower, Thought I would grow some cannabis "Painkiller XL" seeds.
    Lost the plot
    Have been looking at the LED lights, and they all seem great, but there isn't much established data, what I mean is MH 300w or HPS 500w you know
    what you were getting and the area it covered, with LED it's all a bit subjective depending on which web page or u-tube site you clicked.
    Example 500w draw is 230w, (UK) is there a recognized established system to measure this ? where are they getting 500w, I have read these are equivalent to blah blah
    based on what exactly, I really wanted to buy the LED lights, the heat or lack of it, is a real bonus, but I didn't.
    Just my thoughts on the matter.
    May your god look upon you with favour.

Regards