The smell of opiate withdrawal!

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by BottleFED, Aug 17, 2013.

1. BottleFED

BottleFED Member

I can't imagine that I would be the only addict that ever experienced the SMELL of withdrawal from Opiates. To explain what it smells like is difficult since I didn't experience it until a couple heavier withdrawals! What did surprise me was my final withdrawal from Subs carried with it, the smell more so than coming off Oxy the couple of times I withdrew from mid to heavy use! No one smell gets close, more like a combo of medicine like smell and a smell that, while not bad, really sort of repulses you! Having over 6 months of clean time since my last dose of Sub, it continues to pop up every once in a while, obviously not like the 1st 4-5 weeks after, but more like that whiff of Pot you get once in while and don't know where its coming from and then poof, it's gone. Not to confuse anyone not familiar with what I'm talking about, I'm not referring to a smell emanating from me, but the influence to what I smell! Just wanted to see who else knows "The Smell".

2. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

It's been a while since I've really been through it, but yeah, I noticed something. It was mild though, compared to other times that I've experienced it. For me, at least, it's the smell of severe anxiety. The strongest I ever noticed it wasn't during opiate withdrawal, but withdrawal from Oxazepam back in '98, in which I had an anxiety rebound, or whatever you want to call it. It was kind of a sweet/sour fruity kind of smell, and it was strong. I've had it during opiate wd's as well, but very faint. I don't know, maybe it's related to some change in body chemistry or maybe even sensory overload.

3. BottleFED

BottleFED Member

HD, I agree with you. I am a tobacco smoker. Next battle! But ex-smokers have told me that their sense of smell increases 10x over where they were when smoking. Not sure its related but chemically speaking, its about our sense of smell being masked by our DOC! I mean when ya think about it, not many, if any of our senses live through addiction untouched! I had a whiff of the smell I'm referring to, today, it was there and it was gone, which prompted this thread. Like most know, addiction and the PAWS that follow, affect people in so many different ways and I just wanted to know if others experienced this, thanks for the reply! Forgot to mention that when I said bad, I didn't mean in an overwhelming way! Its most likely me inability to establish its origin that causes me to be mildly repulsed by it!

4. outonthetiles

outonthetiles Member

I used to smell what I could be closely described to as diesel fuel and I would gag from it. Would come out of nowhere. I don't miss those days. Has not happened to me in in years. it has been plus 13 years clean for me.

5. happydude_60

Thinking about it reminds me also of an acid trip I had back in 1981. It was the only one that resulted in anything resembling flashbacks that I had out of maybe a dozen trips in all, and it was the last time I did it. Anyway, for maybe 2 years after that trip I could smell a sweet odor coming from one area of my left index finger. There were other weird things, like odors or emotions being provoked by reading or hearing certain words. That was so strange that I knew it was time to stop.

6. BottleFED

BottleFED Member

HD, I laughed at your 1981 memory just because that was the year of my one and only trip and an extremely bad experience simply because I did not listen to the guy who gave it to me. I was leaving CA., heading back to east coast, driving. I departed CA around 4pm and as I did, I put a piece of blotter the guy gave me in my mouth. My biggest mistake was not listening when he told me I needed to split it 4 ways. By the time I actually was out of San Diego on I-10 heading east, the shit hit the fan! I somehow pulled off the highway on a big exit of hotels, and managed to hold it together long enough to register and get into my room! At 19, I had never felt my heart beat so fast much less being able to actually see it coming out of my chest, lol. At the time, it WAS NOT funny. I rolled a fat joint of the OZ i had bought from the same guy, Sweet CA stuff for back then, smoked it and I NO SHIT fell asleep! Having been up for about 40 hours most likely helped, but I woke 6 hrs later, speeding like my head was on fire and drove 49 straight hours to the East Coast, arriving 2 days early! Never again did I do acid!

7. happydude_60

Mine was in CA too, in a barracks at NAS Lemoore. It was 2 hits of Red Dragon blotter, and oh my! I was involved in a game of Risk with some buddies who were also riding the dragon. The game started to get too real, and some guys were getting too loud, so I decided to go back to my own room to chill. That was a long journey. On the way I stopped off at the beer machine to get some brews to take the edge off. It helped some, but it was still a wild ride for the next 8 hours or so. At one point I amused myself for maybe an hour by sticking my hand into a wall. At least it felt like it. I could see the wall stopping my hand, but I swear it felt like I could push my hand right into it. Then I started thinking about a book I'd read about a navy experiment in teleportation in which guys ended up stuck in the deck of a ship, so I quit that shit, lol. That was it for me!

8. BottleFED

BottleFED Member

Haha, I know what you mean and if I had to swear on it, I'd say the joint I smoked was gone in 3 pulls, or maybe it was a Marlboro!

9. charliecat

charliecat Member

Hey bottleFED, Noticed that smell coming off a long and heavy oxy use. Hard to decribe odor. Wondered if it was coming off me and if other people could smell it or was it just in my head. Also wonder if I smelled like that the whole time I was on the oxys. One thing for sure is that my sence of smell came back ten fold once I stopped. I could really smell the cat box and the cigarette smoke from the morning when I came home from work at night.

10. BottleFED

BottleFED Member

Charlie, completely agree 100%! I would take cat pee and Cig smoke over the smell, any day! :2thumbsup: