The sky is overcast with smoke

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by newo, Sep 9, 2020.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

@soulcompromise for you today:

[​IMG]
    TODAY:
    UNHEALTHY

Children, older adults, and those with respiratory issues should reduce prolonged or heavy outdoor exertion.

AQI:
    DOMINANT POLLUTANT:
    PM2.5
    Tiny particles called PM2.5 irritate the eyes, nose, and respiratory system. Long-term exposure aggravates heart and lung disease.

AQI Source: Contains Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service information 2020 and/or modified Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service information 2020

soulcompromise likes this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Thanks. Maybe I'll skip the jog. :(

ZenKarma likes this.
  3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

AIR
    (From Hair)

Welcome! sulphur dioxide
    Hello! carbon monoxide
    The air, the air
    Is everywhere

Breath deep, while you sleep
    Breath deep

Bless you, alcohol bloodstream
    Save me, nicotine lung steam
    Incense, incense
    Is in the air

Breath deep

Cataclysmic ectoplasm
    Fallout atomic orgasm
    Vapor and fume
    At the stone of my tomb
    Breathing like a sullen perfume
    Eating at the stone of my tomb

I'm looking rather attractive,
    Now that I'm radioactive
    Just watch me spark,
    I glow in the dark (She glows in the dark)

Breath deep, deep, deep, de-deep (cough cough)

ZenKarma likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

@newo like WOW man, just WoW!

5. newo

Looks like the rain we were hoping for isn't coming today, it's not expected until Thursday.

I need to rant. I sure am tired of this shit. I retired at the end of January, and being retired, finding enough to do is already a challenge. Then the pandemic hit, taking away some of the things I was doing to keep occupied. Now with all this smoke I can only spend a limited amount of time outdoors, even with a mask on. I get stir crazy after a while sitting at home and end up at a local bar drinking. This smoke is bad for my health in more than one way, I can't exercise outdoors and wind up eating too much and getting high and drunk to fight the boredom. What keeps me going is knowing this is a temporary thing, and I wonder how people can live in places where the air quality is always bad.

6. ~Zen~

@newo I feel your pain. It's not good to be breathing that smokey air.

Wish the rains would come soon, and put out this fire. And I hope you get back to enjoying your retirement. I am sure you worked long and hard for that.

Peace...

7. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

It was really hazy out here in North Dakota yesterday and you could get a whiff of smoke at times even from those fires.

ZenKarma likes this.
  8. newo

Yes, it said on the news that the smoke has drifted all the way to parts of the east coast.

ZenKarma likes this.
  9. ~Zen~

The smoke plumes and CO, CO2, SO etc are reaching all the way to Holland, and south to Cabo in Baja California Sur.

This makes the Yellowstone fires of 1988 look like a campfire. They only burned 1 million acres.

10. lapush

lapush Members

Not to worry as global warming and crickets rubbing their legs together are setting fires.

Oregun is terrible as you cant see the sun

11. newo

Actually I saw the sun today. It looked like a dull pink ball up in the sky but I saw it.

ZenKarma likes this.
  12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It's been overcast here in Ohio all day... But it's not clouds.

ZenKarma likes this.
  13. ~Zen~

Today the Washington Post reports:

California's fires are putting a huge amount of carbon dioxide into the air
    California’s unprecedented wildfires, driven by man-made climate change, are pumping the atmosphere with tens of millions of tons of carbon dioxide that will only drive global temperatures higher.

Two scientists estimate separately for The Energy 202 that the fires in California this year through mid-September burned enough forest to put about 90 million metric tons of carbon dioxide, the most important greenhouse gas, into the air. For perspective, that's some 30 million tons more than the total CO2 emissions from providing power to the entire state.

“Given that 2020 is really a record-setting year for California, it’s going to be quite off-the-charts compared to the observational period we have,” said Niels Andela, an atmospheric scientist at Cardiff University in Wales, stressing that his estimate of 91.2 million tons is preliminary given the limited data he has. “That would be my expectation.”

14. ~Zen~

In another report from the Post:

As wildfire smoke becomes a part of life on the West Coast, so do its health risks
    Wildfires raging in California, Oregon and Washington have led to some of the worst air quality in the world

SAN FRANCISCO — Every morning for the past few weeks, JoEllen Depakakibo has had a new kind of morning routine. She sets her alarm for 6 and opens the Environmental Protection Agency’s AirNow site on her phone. Newly fluent in the numbers of the air quality indexes, or the AQI, she checks the pollution levels compulsively throughout the day, waiting to make a difficult decision.

If the number passes 150, called “unhealthy” by the EPA, Depakakibo has her employees shut the main door and turn on a medical-grade air purifier inside Pinhole Coffee Shop, the cafe she opened here six years ago. If it passes 200, they close the cafe. She’s had to shut five times in recent weeks because of the smoke that has stubbornly settled over the city.

“I always check in with my staff to make sure they feel good about coming in. If they say they don’t, we won’t open,” Depakakibo said from her home in Oakland, where she and her wife had the windows closed and two air filters running to protect their newborn baby.

15. newo

The rain finally arrived, started with a thunderstorm early this morning and we've had showers on and off since then and it's supposed to continue until tomorrow morning. Just went outside, the air quality is better but there's still a faint smell of smoke, a combination of smoke and humidity, so I'm still wearing the mask outdoors. Hope the areas still burning get enough of this rain so the fires can be brought under control. So conditions are improving but we still have a way to go.

ZenKarma likes this.
  16. ~Zen~

@newo Yippee yay! Rain to make your day!

Dance in it and cherish it :)

17. newo

The sky is still overcast but not with smoke. The rain has stopped, supposed to get more later this week. No word yet on how the rain has affected the wildfires.

But damn it's great to be able to go outside without a mask! The air smells fresh. That's one crisis over, 5 or 6 more to go.

18. lapush

lapush Members

Global Warming lit the fires.