The Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newo, Jan 21, 2018.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So Trump's government is shutdown. Are we better off this way?:wink:

2. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

??? Please explain in a way that's not completely X-Files.

GeorgeJetStoned and Tyrsonswood like this.
  3. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I would say yes, but unfortunately, a lot of people are getting screwed because of these political shenanigans. The people that work for the government, work to support THESE assholes (Reps and Dems in congress) are at risk without income. Congress should feel the same pain and not get paid so that they think twice about holding the country hostage with thier bullshit agendas.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Unfortunately, it's not just Trump's government; it's our government. Of course, nobody's government is being shut down completely. The mail will still be delivered, the social security and medicare checks will still go out, and this time even the national parks and monuments will stay open. But it can't go on until ordinary folks feel the pinch. Government employees need to be paid for their services. Federal courts need to have reporters, clerks, and be able to keep the lights on. So a lot will depend on how long this goes on. Since 1975 (Ford Administration) when the current budget process was adopted, we've had 19 shutdowns, the longest being December, 1995-January, 1996, which lasted 3 weeks. The '95-'96 shutdown resulted in the furloughing of 284 thousand federal workers, while an additional 475 thousand worked without pay. The most recent was in 2013, lasting 16 days. According to the S&P financial ratings agency, that took at least $24 billion out of the economy and cut fourth-quarter GDP growth by at least 0.6%. So I don't think we're likely to be better off..

Eric! likes this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Trump's government doesn't have to feel the heat from this. Congress will continue to get paid, the Trump administration will continue to get paid not that they would notice either way

The people affected by this the most are just normal people with government jobs

And this could potentially delay getting our IRS refunds which some people depend upon for various reasons

Eric! likes this.
  6. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Normal people like us always get shafted. Those punks (congress/administration) won't even notice, won't even feel the affects. It's sickening.

Meliai likes this.
  7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I have no idea how the triple post happened, but I took care of it.

8. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

In my area the LBL (Land Between The Lakes), which is operated by the Forest Service, is now shut down. My astronomy group meets there once a month so last night's meeting was cancelled due to the government stupidity.

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

How many votes do they need to approve spending? :)

10. Kerri

Kerri Members

Let’s just please make sure the poor kids of this country aren’t able to access health insurance. It’s really bad to take care of children. Take care of the rich bigots first. That’s what American and fake jesus is about - greed and racism.

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

In the Senate, it would ordinarily take 61 votes, although once every a fiscal year (October1-September 30 of following calendar year), on "reconciliation" measures for certain spending and revenue bills and the federal debt limit, only 51 votes are required. That's how we got the Republican "tax reform." Trump is floating the idea that the Senate adopt the so-called "nuclear option" of applying the reconciliation standard to current budget approval--i.e., change the rules. They might try it and see what happens. My guess is it wouldn't be pretty.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    soulcompromise likes this.
  12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Hmph.. I thought it was 60. I read somewhere that there is a filibuster and that means that it takes 60 votes. There is a republican majority in both the house and the senate. I'm glad some of the senators on the republican side of the aisle agree that some type of legislation for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals ought to be included.

Also, the request for the wall is absolutely absurd! Just beating a dead horse, but still... President Trump needs to understand that he's not going to send some message or leave some lasting legacy with this presidency. If he has an opportunity to do anything at all it's the opportunity to turn it around and show how people can change!

But that won't happen. I'm not holding my breath. I am holding my breath for DACA and immigration reform though. I think we have a chance!

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

It is 60. My mistake. Actually, the requirement of 60 is derived from the votes needed for cloture to end a flilibuster (three-fifths of the Senators).

14. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Thanks to social justice identity politics, Michelle Obama’s shitty school lunch programs, and many other factors. Democrats are losing the new generation ofupcoming voters. So the have to resort to DACA and import voters from abroad who will vote for them.

15. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

You don't actually believe that, do you?

Meliai likes this.