The Seven Reasons I am Pro-choice

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by issablue, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

It is not clearly a violent act of killing. That's debatable. I don't think abortion is violent. And are we murdering people in comas that we take off life support?

It's legality means it isn't a crime, and it isn't murder.

2. JennyLane

JennyLane Member

What if a woman is raped? should she be forced to live with that and stare it in the face everyday for the rest of the life by bringing up the assaulter's child? Should a 16 year old girl have to be stuck with a pregnant belly when her good for nothing boyfriend leaves without a trace after a condom breaks? If a man can run, a woman should be able to make that choice too.

3. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

hey, I've been there. I could have and didn't. Had my pregnany survived full term I would have given to a pair of very happy parents.

Yet, at the same time, I would never look down on anyone who got an abortion in that position.

I simply can't accept the excuse that if a man can run, a woman should be able to also. WHatever happened to teaching values and strength?What happened to teaching that BC isn't 100% and if soemthing happens than you should take responsibiltiy for yourself. If you do the deed, you should be prepared to pay the consequenses. Someone else here said it best. It all comes down to fear and how strong you are. Not all the time, there are exceptions in which I feel abortion is needed, but not the way it is performed now.

And I would much rather pay for welfare to help that baby grow up healthy than to kill it. But then again, if you can't afford it, why is it so hard to look into adoption where a family can give it all it could ever need?

I don't think abortion is violent or wrong, but I feel that it is abused and there are too many being performed.

4. Sera Michele

I just think that some people make too big a deal over abortion, especially when America, and the world, has too many neglected, abused,and hungry children. If all the pro-lifers would crusade to make things better for the already existing children (as in giving all children healthcare, improving the foster care systems, ect...) then they may hold some of my respect in the abortion arena. But I will never fight to suspend legal abortion until all the living, breathing children of this world are properly cared for. We don't need to bring more unwanted children into the world unless we can make it better for the ones we already have.

5. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Then you're simply not facing reality:

http://www.abortionno.com/Resources/pictures.html

If we know these comas are temporary, then yes. Even if they have no hope of recovery, we don't scald their skin with saline solution or hack them to pieces.

Would you accept a political compromise that includes exceptions for rape and incest but bans the remaining 90% of abortions that are entirely elective?

6. Sera Michele

Well I am sorry if that link doesn't shange my mind one bit (I have seen much worse pictures coming from the war in Iraq), but i am facing reality. What is violent and wrong, in my opinion, is bringing a child into the world to let it suffer. Parents who don't want their kids are not the people we want having kids. There are too many hungry, neglected, abused, and parentless children in the world, in the US alone, to make me think abortion should be illegal.

I refuse to bring any child into the world that I can't give the best chances in life. I must really be a violent, terrible, selfish person...:rolleyes:

7. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

8. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I definately don't think abortion should be ILLEGAL! that's going way too far.

what's wrong with putting some limitations on abortion? for example, there is a lady who is 27 and has had 8 abortions. she keeps getting pregnant, doesn't use BC and just runs to the clinic to get it done. Shouldn't her tubes be tied?

or maybe instead of offering abortion (because it is an expensive procedure) offering more free BC and morning after pills? there is a college that has a free BC ATM machine. it dispenses BC pills and condoms. I don't think it should be done that way, but I think more family planning clinics should be opened and provide free BC one way or another.

9. superNova

superNova Member

this is just an aside, but i think it's interesting that almost everytime you hear someone talk about being pro-choice, they say something like, "but mind you, i would never have one myself." interesting to ponder about.

no offense meant to the original poster or anyone else, just a note :)

10. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

well, I believe in the right to have an abortion. And if I found out I was pregnant tomorrow, I'd probably have one. I'm not in a great spot right now to take care of a kid, nor to bear one to term. But that's me, and I'm not going to force anyone to think that abortion is right. But it is a right IMHO, because people will find other, more dangerous ways to do it.

However, it shouldn't be used as a form of birth control. I can't see how women who've gone and had many (I don't mean two or three, I mean like eight or more) haven't been educated yet about birth control. It's a helluvalot cheaper, and better for your body.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I think birth control should be more available - subsidized or free. And yeah, no birth control is 100% effective, but there are several that are 98-99%, and used in tandem can be more effective. And there should be a lot more education about it in school and from parents. But, that's just my opinion, heh.

11. Megara

Megara Banned

Interesting assessment. You think a man can run from birth? Not really, he can be sued for child support and have the amount garnished from his salary/social security/etc and even jailed. It is federal law. Now, if a woman doesnt want to take responsibility, they can get an abortion. If a man doesnt want to take responsibility, he is told to be a man. There is a double standard against men here. It is of course in the best interest of the child that there be a double standard against men. The "FAIR" thing would be to allow men to have no responsibility if women want to bear the child and the guy doesnt want it. What's fair isnt always whats best.

12. Sera Michele

13. issablue

issablue Member

Megara, It is really hard to sue the father if you do not know who they are.

14. Megara

Megara Banned

You know who you slept with. Paternity tests can be forced.

If you're talking about an unsolved rape, thats different.

15. issablue

issablue Member

People drink and people do not remember.

16. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Ever heard of Medicaid? The birth mother of our second adopted baby had all her maternity expenses paid by the state.

17. Sera Michele

Children accrue more medical expenses than just from their birth.

18. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Had she chosen to keep him, he would've also qualified for the state health plan.

19. Abyle

Abyle Member

I think abortion is a PERSONAL CHOICE. If you want to have fifteen abortions, that's YOUR business, not mine. I may not agree with it, but I may not agree with you for a lot of reasons.

I agree more people should look into adoption, but personally, I would not bring a child into this world that I knew would be mentally disabled or be in constant pain. To me, that isn't a fulfilling life and not a life worth sustaining. If I gave birth to a Down's baby because I had no knowledge of the child's disability in utero, I would place her or him in an open adoption because I wouldn't be the mom I wanted to be to a mentally challenged child. However, I would prefer this child was never born.

20. Megara

Megara Banned

You are taking extreme cases to try and make a point. Sorry, it doesnt work.

the overwhelming majority of men cant hide from paying child support

Yes, i know, the rare women will be impregnated by an alien and they can't collect. It is a shame, but its hardly a rule that men can skip out on child care.