The SCOTUS Right to Privacy (Defined)...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimbee68, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

The right to privacy goes back to at least the 1960's. Actually, if you follow the history of the Supreme Court, especially from the turn of the last century, some people say its roots go back even further than that.

In any event, it's in my law dictionary (which I highly recommend BTW, its ease, simplicity and completeness make it great, I think). It has at least two entries on it. I like the following definition. Makes you think, even if you thought you opposed it:

"...The right to be left alone [privacy] is not always superior to the rights of the public and it may or may not exist or may exist to a lesser degree with regard to the life of a public figure, such as a politician or other person in whom the public has a rightful interest. The right to personal privacy is encompassed as an aspect of liberty protected against government interference by the Constitution's due process clause. Some of the personal decisions protected from unwarranted government interference include decisions relating to marriage, procreation, contraception, family relationships, child rearing, and education...."

LAW DICTIONARY, Sixth Edition, by Steven H. Gifis, © 2010, 2003, 1996, 1991, 1984, 1975 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I have that Law Dictionary somewhere in storage. I used to refer to it regularly when I was more of an activist for cannabis freedoms.

Jimbee68 likes this.