The Run.

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by scratcho, Jun 25, 2013.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

cont.

Lonnie and Josh were laughing about the poor dumbstruck miner as they rode along. " That sumbitch was thrown fer a loop, now wasney? When he got a look at those eyes--he was flat hooked. It never fails to amuse me, the way men react to 'er. I'm glad she ain't no regular girl--we'd haf 'ta be gettin' our hackles up five times a day to protect a frilly one." Yeah, no doubt about that. I'll betcha there ain't anothern like her. Leastways, I ain't never heerd tell 'a one." "Yeah, that be true. You wouldn't believe how sweet and gentle she is with me, Lonnie." "I seen it, boy. You know I been around since before you-all was born. And I know about the swimmin' hole too, son. You kids were so straight up in everything you did and said your whole lives , that you both were completely trusted. And I ain't a'sayin that your folks did or didn't know, either." "Ahh. Don't matter none. We's grown up now and fixin' to get hitched, so 'hit don't mean a dad-burn hill 'a beans." " You know, them fellers was educated at university fer a couple years each, but they --or at least one of 'em still acted like a fool." "Son. With all due respect, when a womans privates is involved, don't take any bets on anyone acting rational. Even the educated ones."

Becky returned from the woods after having changed out the cloth pads she had unknowingly brought with her, simply because her ma had been thinking ahead, anticipating her woman time of the month. She buried the ones that she had used, washed herself and straddled a new batch that her ma had thoughtfully packed for her. The boys figured to shut up about Becky and the previous evening. Enough was enough. Besides, it wouldn't due to get her all het up about anything--not this time of the month.

They passed some men cutting timber in the distance and marveled at what must be the extent of usable wood in the hills and valleys of the northwest, including Oregon territory.

Before they reached the town of Sonora, they could hear various kinds of racket, mostly human, emanating from the general area of town. The usual hollering and carrying on, laced with a gun shot now and again, could be distinctly heard. " Wonder what we're a'gettin' into here. Hope it's a celebration or some such. Otherwise the shootin' going on bodes ill," Lonnie said. " I said quit that old man," Josh laughed. "Well, we'll soon find out. We got to figure out where the Baileys live and see to what's what. I'm thinkin' we oughta' get to a telegraph office and let the folks back home know we's all right" "Good idee. I'll hunt one up soon's we git there. And I could use a beer." "I'll second that," Becky chimed in."

And there it was, down in a small valley with good size mountains surrounding the town and they could see that something was going on. The town seemed to be jammed with people milling about, for some unknown reason. They were about to find out.

2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

:2thumbsup: :sunny: :D

:)

3. scratcho

cont.

The three stretched out on the ground above the melee below and tried to figure out what this wild situation in town was all about. Lonnie pulled out the brass eye piece Beckys uncle Amazon had given him one summer, extended it to full length and adjusted the lens to suit his eyesight. Becky and Josh were lying side by side and Josh commenced to gently rubbing Beckys back. She snuggled in tight to enjoy his gently moving hand and relaxed as much as she had in days. A hell of a trip they had put in so far. Too many dead and too many dreams shattered, she thought. All because some damn fools wouldn't let the past be just that.

A slight rustling of the underbrush at a distance behind them, caused Becky to grab the shotgun , immediately rise and quietly steal off into the thick copse of pines. Josh looked at Lonnie inquisitively,but all Lonnie did was shrug his shoulder slightly in the knowledge that if Becky left suddenly---there was a good reason.

Becky stepped out from behind a tree as a big chestnut horse with rider came within a few yards of her hiding place. The man reined in to a stop, but did not seem concerned at all about the large double barrel pointed at him by this very tall fella with the odd looking eyes. "How-do, stranger?" " Not bad. Hadn't oughta' ride up behind folks without some kinda' warnin', you know. What're you doin' 'round here and what in hell's goin' on down there in Sonora"? "Hmmmm", the rider said. "Be you woman? That is not a mans voice. So, if that be true, then young lady, I'd appreciate the lowering of that serious lookin' death machine you got 'aholt of there. I'd be most willin' to describe what all that there millin' about and all the rest of it happens to be." " Alright mister, lets' move on outa' the trees and join my friends. I suggest you not make any moves I can't tell is friendly , otherwise you're a'gonna get some shot in them fancy duds 'a yours.

" BY damn, you are a woman!! And a finer lookin' one I ain't sure I've ever seen!!"

Becky looked at the man and knew what he was trying out on her. With a slight grin, Becky replied "Your tongue matches them fancy duds' you got on yourself there, mister. Why, I'm just thrilled you feel that way. I'm 'pert near 'ta swoon, you silver tongued devil, you." " The mans face turned a little redder than it was to begin with, in his embarrassment at being caught out being a fool. It was then that he realized that this female person was no one to trifle with and apologized for the rough start. He hoped he might smooth it all over some, but that would probably take some doin' now.

"That there," the stranger indicated, pointing down towards Sonora, "is an attempt at re-creating some well remembered history. They's callin' it a rendezvous. The last real one was back in the eighteen thirties, as I recall. It used to be a yearly get together of trappers, some of which were real mountain men, Indians, travelers, fur buyers, cow punchers, thieves, rustlers, card cheats, preachers, whores, bushwhackers and all other sorts 'a folks and even some foreigners, just to think that they was part of the old west. Lasted for weeks on some occasions and believe you me, prodigious amounts of whiskey was consumed." Josh glanced at Lonnie and he said "Lots." "Well, are you-all 'a goin down", the stranger asked. The three looked at one another with understanding that only comes with time in the saddle together.

" Hell yes. Let's see what's so all fired fun down there. Least, from what I seen through this here tube, they look like they might be havin' 'em some," Lonnie said. He knew they'd agree. "Might as well see what we can stir up down there. Gotta' be careful, though. Don't need no ventilatin', far as I can tell. Maybe we can find out about the---" ahhh--no names, just yet. Never know who you're dealin' with."

The four urged the horses ahead and started down the hill and soon came into the edge of town. They decided to seek a place for their mounts first off. " This might be interesting," Becky said, as she felt the eyes of the stranger on her back. She slowed and took her customary place in the back of the riders. Never know. "I could use a beer. Or six," said Becky.

4. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

:sunny: :2thumbsup:

5. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Scratcho.

6. fleamailman

fleamailman Member

("...encore..." went the goblin wanting more)

7. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

This kept me busy for awhile this morning, good work Scratcho!

8. scratcho

The town of Sonora appeared to be about four blocks of wood framed houses lying to the north of the main street with a like amount to the south of main. The town itself was about a quarter mile long toward the west. Main street was jammed with people moving about, with most of the coming and going involving the saloons, which were numerous. Gun shots reverberated against the surrounding hills. At the western end of the city, was located a large pasture of about 50 acres containing hundreds of horses milling around, with some lined up to eat the hay that had been placed in long lines on the ground for them. The horses presumably belonged to the celebrating revelers below. The hay had been placed by some unknown person or persons responsible for doing so; Stable hands, most likely. Adjacent to the north end of the pasture were stock pens that mostly stood empty, except for some animals that needed medical attention of one kind or another or needed shoes replaced.

As they got closer to the edge of town, the stranger continued down the trail toward the main street. No loss, thought Becky. Lonnie led Becky and Josh to the north end of town through the neat rows of houses, to reach the last of them. When reached, they turned west and proceeded to ride slowly toward the pasture to the west. They figured to put their mounts in with the others after a good currying and checking the shoes that Lonnie and Becky had put on them some days earlier. The noise from down town was ever present , but not many revelers ventured off the main street and the streets just north and south of it.

When they reached the stock pens, they soon realized that there was no one there to tend to their mounts, so each removed their own gear and began to wash and then curry their animals.

Josh mentioned the Western Union office once more to his companions and it was agreed that he would depart to find one and Becky said she would finish taking care of the gray. As she was doing so, an old man, somewhat bent with age, came by with the aid of a beautifully carved cane. " Howdy,sir" Becky said as she approached the man. "Hello, young lady"replied the man. "Sir, can you tell me who it be that's tasked with taking care of the stables"? " Yes I can, miss. It be two useless wastes of men named Will Parker and Bob Parker. They're more 'n likely down to one 'a the saloons gettin' drunk. 'Sposed to be takin' care of shoein' and medicatin' some 'a them critters such as need it. They don't have much responsibility concerning the animals in their care." " Alright then. Thank you, sir. Enjoy the day." " Thank you, miss. I reckon you'll find them Parkers in the Palace saloon, ifn' you need to ."

"Well, hit 'aint no big deal to tend to our mounts, but I don't rightly care for what that 'ol feller told me. You finish up, Lonnie?" " Shore will, honey. But don't get into nothin' 'till I get there with ya'. OK?" " Oh, sure Lonnie. You know me. Justa' quiet little critter that don't mean no harm," Becky said, with a grin. " Damn fool woman," Lonnie said with an equal grin. " I'll see 'ya at the Palace, ol' man."

9. scratcho

She covered the four blocks in short order and stepped out from between two buildings on the main street to the sight and scene of the many jostling individuals. All of them were shorter than Becky, so she could see a great deal farther than the average person lurching here and there. Being a country girl, she didn't care much for the closeness of the large crowd and had to push a few drunks away from her as she made her way toward the Palace. She finally reached her destination, but she had to back out of the doorway because someone inside the palace was flinging some rowdy drunks out into the street. She finally got inside and was headed to the long bar to get a beer or two, when one Samuel Wilson--a local man--seated at a small table with a couple of drinking buddies, noticed something. What he noticed, was that the tall cowboy that had just entered, possessed something very near and dear to his heart. Breasts. And very nice breasts, at that. " I'll be damned", said one Mr Wilson. " What the fuck you palaverin' about, Sam?" said one of his buddies. " Titties, boy. Looky there. See that tall one up agin' the bar? Down there towards the end?" "Yeah. So what. He's a big sumbich, I'll give him that." Titties, god-dammit!" That there's a female! Watch this, boy." He staggered over to the bar behind Becky, pushed his crotch up against her backside and reached for what he figured was a little bit of paradise.

"Ya'll know the Bailys," Becky inquired of the bartender. She had noticed a body up against her, but figured it was due to the enormous amount of people in the bar and would soon stop. It was so loud with all the drunks hollering and carrying on , that it was difficult to be heard. Becky asked him again when he brought her a beer, but she felt someone cupping her right breast roughly as she raised her beer for a long drink. She didn't move much or panic. She set her beer on the bar, reached down casually and disengaged the hand from her breast with her right hand and with her left, she snapped two fingers back to the wrist of the intruder and felt the hand jerk back with an attendant howl from behind her. She was used to this kind of treatment---however, she was also used to making miscreants with no sense or respect pay for their mistakes. She turned around to make sure she wasn't going to be bludgeoned or shot from behind. The offender could be seen hunched over, holding his broken fingers and heading for the door, so she reckoned that he was pretty much taken care of for the time being.

" And by the way, is the Parkers in here?" she shouted over the din. " Yup. They's down there at the end 'a the bar. The two with the whores draped on 'em." Becky backed away from the bar and made her way down to the brothers, who seemed to be having a great time talking and rubbing on the two women. "HEY. Ain't you-all 'sposed to be out to the stock pens takin' care 'a them horses what needs takin' care of?"

" and who the fuck're you to be be askin?"replied one of the brothers, as he went back to stroking the front of the whore. " I'm Becky Pearson, motherfucker and I'm tellin' you-all to get back to your jobs and git them sickly horses taken care of, that's who!" " Why, you stupid bitch, I---------------Becky reached up and grabbed a handful of hair of each brother and banged their heads together hard enough, that they went down. The whores stared at Becky and backed off quickly. She grabbed each by their belts and dragged them through the crowd and out onto the sidewalk, while those that had seen what happened stood there with their mouths open. She dragged them the four blocks back to the pens and tied them up to the plowshares that were in the barn, so they couldn't go anywhere when they woke up. She'd come back later to have a discussion with the brothers concerning the duties of their employment. Lonnie was gone so she headed back to main street to find him and Josh.
    She giggled her little girl giggle to herself and thought " this is shore gonna' to be more fun than I thought."

10. storch

storch banned

You're really good, scratcho. I like your style. It's a fun read.

11. scratcho

Thanks, brother. Appreciate it.

12. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

HAHA, Scratcho, love the part about her banging those guy's heads together...she is one bad chick! Thanks for the new chunk of story, I look forward to it!! Well done friend.

13. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

:hurray: :)

:sunny:

:D !!!

14. Spectacles

:2thumbsup: thanks for the update!

15. scratcho

Josh was in the smallest and most civilized of the many saloons that lined the main street. He had sent the Western union message to his pa, and requested that a rider be dispatched to deliver it. They must be terribly worried about the travelers and their welfare by this time he figured , so the unusual request of a delivery was not out of line. It was done.

There were a few drunken cowpokes in the small place and only two whores and one card table. A welcome respite from the crowds. A man was plinking around on a piano, trying to figure out what he wanted to play. He heard some talk down the bar a ways, concerning someone hauling two men out of the Palace, but he didn't pay it much mind. Hit's a wonder, he thought, that the streets weren't red with blood with all the whiskey being consumed.

He finished his beer and moseyed out onto the boards of the walkway and down into the dust of the thoroughfare. He knew where to find the Baileys; the bartender knew them and told Josh where they could be found. Their place was about a mile out of town around the backside of the large hill on the northeast edge of Main street. He walked east on Main and past the booths that were set up, some displaying the fancy quilts that the local sewing club had made, some having little games of chance that were well nigh impossible to win. Many booths showcasing the local dishes that some of the women of Sonora had made were selling fast and the pleasant smell of them wafted throughout the area. Berry jams and jellies were on display and were much sought after commodities for the cowpunchers and miners who bought them. They bought them as much to remember the lives at home they had lived before the wanderlust took them, as much as for the exquisite tastes they had.

Josh cut between the general store and the bank and headed northwest towards the livery, after having decided to find Becky and Lonnie. He knew that when his pa got the telegram he sent, that he would immediately send a rider to the Pearsons place with the information and also send a message right back. He certainly hoped all was well back home, but there was no way of knowing until a message came back.

He and Becky missed each other, as he was a few blocks west of where she would approach the back of the businesses on Main street, but of course, neither knew it. When he reached the stables, he could hear some rather loud talking coming from inside the barn and when he entered, was surprised to see a couple of men tied to some farming equipment. They were not happy men, as they proceeded to let Josh know that someone was going to pay for this transgression. And that someone was a very big female person who had caught them completely unaware and took great advantage of them. " Well, boys--ain't this here your job? To be takin' care 'a livery business? Fixin' them horses what needs fixin'? The men went silent for a bit and one piped up--"still ain't no way to treat people. Shit, I got me a headache like I ain't never had before. That damn woman like 'ta busted my head open. Who in hell is she, anyway? " A friend 'a mine," Josh replied. " Now. You-all want shed 'a that iron, or not"? Answering in the affirmative was a forgone conclusion. Especially since it had been a woman--a damn fool woman at that--that had brought this on them. Wouldn't do to have folks around town knowing your ass was kicked by a mere woman. " Alright. I'll turn you-all loose, but I suggest you start in on them horses 'afore my friend returns." They did so upon their release, but they had some plans. They had some plans for sure.

16. Spectacles

:sunny: Back in the 70's I made several patchwork quilts. Thanks Scratcho.

17. scratcho

Becky stepped into the narrow passageway between the two businesses and headed towards Main street, where the celebratory noise continued unabated. Didn't seem like much to celebrate except fer the drinkin' 'a lots 'a rot-gut whiskey, thought Becky, as she made her way through the cowpokes moving in both directions through the passageway. "Might as well check fer the boys and see what downtown has to see."

She made her way to the board walk that fronted the business section on both sides of the street and started walking in a westerly direction. She stopped to look at some of the quilts the ladies of Sonora had made and was duly impressed by many of the designs, which were themed mostly by having no theme at all, but by myriad colored patches. Reminded her of some of the work Joshes ma had done over the years. Some pleasantries exchanged, she moved on to the west passing the rigged games which were more or less useless endeavors, but the kids seemed to like them, so fun for them was OK by Becky.

Farther west, almost to the end of town, Becky saw a large crowd gathered around --something. Couldn't tell exactly what it was , but there happened a great roar from those gathered. "Huh. Must be a thousand people gathered up watching some event. Might as well put some eyeballs on it." She got close enough to the attraction to see over the heads of those around her and saw some kind of square enclosure about four feet off the ground, with three ropes circling the platform tied to posts at the corners. The ropes on each side of the square held fancy store-bought signs that read: THE BRUTE. And underneath in smaller letters:1000 DOLLARS TO ANYONE THAT LASTS FOR ONE MINUTE IN THE RING WITH THE BRUTE.

"Shore enough, that's a brute, now ain't he?" Becky mentioned to the feller beside her. The man billed as the brute was strutting around the ring looking dangerous and every turn around the square, he kicked one of the three men that lay inside the ring unconscious. " All that kickin' don't hardly seem like a fair deal to me, when those men be out. The man next to her said " That guy has been all over the country and he ain't never been licked. He is a dirty fighter, I can tell you that. Killed a man in Deadwood, but the law figgered he were a damn fool fer gettin' in there with 'im.

"He likes his kickin', does he? OK. That's fair enough 'ta me." "Jesus, Josh and Lonnie both would be plumb burned at me if they was here. But they ain't, Becky thought. Meanwhile, the Brute delivered another kick to one of the prone men and swaggered around motioning for more fools to climb in the ring with him.

Becky elbowed her way to the front, while the Brute's manager hollered through a cone-shaped device, telling one and all of the wondrous accomplishments of his fighter.

Becky jumped straight up onto the ring apron and vaulted the ropes in one smooth motion. She stood in the corner, hands on hips and waited for the blowhard or the fighter to notice her. Eventually both did and the three hundred and fifty pound brute commenced to laughing, while the manager, fairly rotund himself, came over to try and get this fool woman out of the ring and back into the crowd where she belonged. Hey, what in hell are you doin' up here"? That man'll kill you--now get out 'a here." The man made the mistake of trying to grab Becky by the arm to push her out of the ring and got a mouthful of fist. The crowd was laughing and carrying on about this stupid damn female getting in the--up until the man she slugged was seen to be prone and very out. The crowd started to mumble and some thought that this was a part of the act. The ones that weren't close enough to see what had actually happened, that is.

The Brute had seen. He let out a yell and came across the ring to teach this upstart bitch a hard lesson. Becky stood there and waited. The mans arms were huge and he had the right a little behind him preparing to connect with a tremendous blow to the damn fool woman that dared defy him!! Didn't much like 'em anyway. Always required gold for a poke at 'em.

When the brute reached the area of about three feet from his target, Becky leaned back to her left with her right side toward him, her left leg cocked for leverage and she sprung a hard kick to the Brute's forehead. His head flung back and he staggered some, so she knew what she had to do next. The same move as she put on that chickenshit deputy, whose fate she sealed and who now rested long- term in a blackberry patch. She spun around when her right boot heel hit the Brute in the temple, he took about three little steps and hit the deck. Hard. The ring gave some and the ropes were swinging wildly. The Brute was done. It would not go well for him when word spread of his defeat at the feet of Becky Pearson from the central valley of California.

The thousand or so people having watched this display of ---well, they didn't rightfully know what the hell had happened. The crowd was dead still. Just looking. She rolled the manager over and pulled up his shirt. "Sure enough, they's money in there." She withdrew one thousand dollars from his money belt and left the rest. She vaulted over the ropes and onto the ground and had absolutely no problem getting through the crowd. " A beer be what I need", she said and headed for the Palace.

When she entered the saloon, Josh and Lonnie had a small table in the corner, so she moseyed over to take a seat and have a cold beer. Josh filled her in on the information that he had sent home and asked her about the men in the barn. She shrugged her shoulders and drained the beer. She belched a quiet bit of gas and josh asked her how her day was going.

Oh, just fine. I'm a'gonn'a get us one 'a them purty quilts they's sellin' out there fer our honeymoon, ifn we ever git us one. Although I reckon the o-ficial place to git' licensed up be closed. Let's go eat. I got me 'a appetite fer some reason. You boys need some money?

18. Spectacles

Gotta love Becky. She is something else.

19. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I LOVE BECKY!

:sunny: :) :2thumbsup:

20. scratcho

Cont.

Sitting in the small restaurant, the three friends had savored their afternoon repast and now were attempting to finish the large container of coffee they had ordered. " Now, this here be real coffee. It shore be better than that chicory we brung," sighed Lonnie in a pleasant voice. Diners were coming and going and much to the consternation of the two men, people seemed to be passing by their table for no reason other than to tip their hats at Becky. " What the hell? What's wrong with these people? They lookin' at you, honey. Sumthin' happen we ain't up on? " Naw. They just like lookin' at a woman what's 'gonna get married, is all." The men knew something had transpired, but knew not what. " The barman told me he seen the Baileys in town yesterdee and they looked fine to him. He knows 'em. But we still need 'ta ride out there and let 'em know what-all we been up to. And why. So, let's git to gittin', as your ma would say," Josh said, looking at Becky.

The ride out was pleasant enough and they turned onto a trail when they saw a small hand painted sign that indicated=Bailey, with an arrow pointing up the trail. About two hundred yards in, they came out of the trees and into a two acre open area that had been cleared of timber for a log house, a barn, two small out buildings and a garden.

Douglas and Bertha Bailey were on the porch of their large cabin, each with a rifle pointed toward the approaching riders. Then they recognized Lonnie and set upon him to pull him off his horse and just about smothered him with hugs, back slaps and shouted salutations! " Well, I'll be a sumbitch---Lonnie, you old fool. How you been, brother?" The merriment went on for a while and they all eventually made it inside the sturdy cabin.

"No, I ain't seen no Jayhawkers bent on revenge 'round here, said Doug Bailey. Hain't heard tell 'a none , either. You say they kilt the Pryors? Ever one of 'em?" "Pert' near, save two little ones that was away from the 'stead. We kilt the ones come from the south and caught us a snake a'tryin' ta' be cute a'ridin' with us. He were, of all things, a deputy back to home. Hooked up with us to try some tomfoolery, I reckon. Only he were found out." "And what happened to him, then," Doug asked. " He's took care of," Becky said. Josh and Lonnie glanced at one another quickly and now they had their answer about the missing deputy.

They all relaxed eventually and so the old men started in on the stories. Josh and Becky excused themselves and stepped outside and sat on some log chairs that Doug had more than likely put together. They were sheltered from the constant noise that permeated every corner of Sonora these past days. They held hands across the small wooden arms of the chairs and began to relax.

" By damn, you folks have had a hell of a trip. What's next? Is they anyone else to warn?" said Doug. "There may be some up around Jackson. We was hopin' you-all'd know 'bout that." " I'll think on it some." " You know Doug, ever since we left home, them two kids been itchin' 'ta get hitched up, but there 'ain't never any preachers 'round. Leastways, not any we could get 'aholt of." " Well, I swan. Them kids is awfull young, 'ain't they?" " Oh, that ain't no worry, Doug. They been in love with one another since they first met. "be 'bout thirteen year ago, it was."

"Well, now. Them kids is in luck. My oldest boy be a part time preacher and he lives in town. He fills in fer the regular bullshitter when he has to go to the valley once a month." "Problem be, that the license-gettin' turns out to be -uh-difficult. Everythings closed up, from what I seen."

" Guess what, old friend. I got me a key to the joint, 'cuz I'm the one that keeps the boiler in workin' order for the building." "Excellant, Doug. Any reason we cain't get that done today? " We can. Let's go round up the boy and get this done. Let's keep a hush on this 'till we git right in the building , so's we can surprise 'em." "Done, my friend. Done."

The two were still relaxing in the chairs. Holding hands and each looking into the eyes of the other. They could look at one another for hours like that. What passed between them was known to them only, but could be felt in some manner by those around them.

" Let's go to town, you two. Me 'n Doug here, has got a surprise fer ya'." Mrs Bailey told Doug quietly that "In no way in hell is you keepin' me from this!"

The horses being saddled and ready, the five riders mounted up and headed for the main trail.