The Role of the Mind in Health

Discussion in 'You Are What You Eat!' started by Littlefoot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Littlefoot

Littlefoot Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That's what "holistic" means, right? The WHOLE picture.

Diet is important, but an awful lot of people approach the
    issue with a sin/virtue mentality and the fundamental
    belief that the body is inherently prone to illness.

I see these people in natural and health-food stores all
    the time. They have "perfect" diets and they are never
    healthy and never comfortable.

The simple fact is, that the human body is inherently
    healthy. If that wasn't the case there wouldn't _be_
    a human race. Modern medicine and nutrional science
    are very recent things. And most of the people who lived
    before us, like the Native Americans, were much healthier
    than we are.

-------------------------
    Sidebar

Note that their diets consisted of, on average, 85% or
    better plant foods. It wasn't the "warriors" with their bows
    and arrows that fed the tribe, it was the women and children
    and elders, collecting wild edible plants or growing them in
    their gardens.

Many of the Native American tribes were expert farmers,
    and they taught _us_ how to farm. Many of our current
    staples came from them: Corn (maize for you Europeans),
    beans, squash, cucumbers, potatoes, peppers, etc.

And tomatoes. There were no tomatoes in Italian cooking
    until tomatoes arrived from the New World a few hundred
    years ago.

A very good book on this subject is Jack Weatherford's
    "Indian Givers: How the Indians of the Americas
    Transformed the World"

---------------------------------------

So eat sensibly but ignore the propaganda of the Medical
    Industrial Complex and believe in the truth, which is that
    your body, like any natural ecosystem, is inherently
    healthy.

Eating sensibly means eating mostly or all plants that are
    grown nearby and naturally and are reasonably fresh and
    uncontaminated with preservatives or other chemicals
    and not overly processsed.

Remember: The Medical Industrial Complex only makes money
    if you're sick, or afraid of being sick, so despite the good
    intentions of many practicioners, you have to keep in mind that
    their corporate bosses (investors) have the final say.

"To be healthy, you have to believe in health." --Seth

Littlefoot

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Thanks for starting this thread. Good topic! :)

Good Seth quote too.

My favorite is "You create your own reality!"

And that goes for your own body, too.

3. Littlefoot

Sure does, Skip.

For others tuning in:

"The Nature of Personal Reality" channeled by Jane Roberts

"Part Two: Your Body as Your Own Unique Living Sculpture.
    Your Life as Your Most Intimate Work of Art, and the Nature
    of Creativity as it Applies to Your Personal Experience."

Here's another favorite Seth quote of mine:

"Nature _is_ supernatural."

LIttlefoot

4. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

"I'm a Plant Eaaaaaaaateeeeeer" *sings to the rythmn of the Nelly Furtado song and runs ashamed* haha :)
    (no, I dont like that song)

"It's all in the mind". I've spent since my last years of highschool saying that, still true, still say it. I mean I've seen how if Im "sick" I can make myself worse or better by just changing my mentality and it's like that with just everything.

5. Littlefoot

Pretty sharp for a high school 'kid'. It _is_ all in our minds. We live in the
    body of our beliefs. They aren't physical. They are an 'electromagnetic
    pattern' that lies just 'beneath' the surface of physical reality. Or just
    'above' it.

But you've got to be practical, too.

And I think that being practical is what _this_ forum is about.

Maybe we need another one here devoted to the role of the mind
    in health.

You listening, Skip?

Oh. I'm a plant eater too. Nothing but plants. For longer than you've
    been alive.

This time, anyway.....

Nice ta meet ya,

LIttlefoot

6. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

no.. it was not the "warriors" that fed the tribes.. it were the huntsmen.. whether you want to believe it or not.. the native americans depended heavily on hunting.. hunting all sorts of animals fron deer to buffalo.. they hunted these creatures for their hides.. and other body parts for weapons.. but the native americans did not believe in waste so they did eat the flesh.. i understand you're trying to get the point across that they did eat veggies/berries/fruit/roots.. but dont make it sound like thats all they did

7. Autentique

I think what he was trying to say was that they were healthier, because their food was fresh and completely natural. I dont think he was trying to say that they didnt hunt or ate meat.
    Just think about today's food, meat, veggies, everything. It's all so processed and "made better" to last "longer". I just think the OP was making a point on the benefits of organic food.

8. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

^^^ well if that is the case.. sorry to the OP.. I totally agree with the fact that food is processed in a manor way less than pleasing.. but it don't make things easy when organics are insanely expensive compared to non-organic.. less is involved in organics.. no pesticides.. no preservatives.. no enhancers... but yet its more expensive???

9. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

There are a few reasons for that. One is that Organic Farming & Gardening is often more labor intensive. But the biggest reason is plain old supply and demand.
    High demand + low supply = high prices.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

10. IlUvMuSIc

IlUvMuSIc Senior Member

I LOVE that song!! lol...

I remember when i kept being sick (it was horrible) i told myself i wasnt ill, i wasnt sick and i felt fine... It kept the pain at bay... I wonder if it works with colds seeing as im always with one of those...

Though i have to say Yoga seriously helped my family. It really did.

Round here alot of Organic stuff isnt that much more expensive save a few foods...

11. skip

If it seems like you always have a cold, it could be an allergy to something in your environment or too much dairy products, or a combo of both.

Mold, pollen, pet dander, air pollution, can all mimic the symptoms of a chronic cold. All these things didn't used to cause such allergic reactions as they do now, that's because we're exposed to so many toxins in our lives that we've become much more sensitive to toxins and irritants in our environment.

12. Autentique

I suffer from really bad allergies too. Basically to dust and pollen, things that are EVERYWHERE. It's funny because back in Santo Domingo they were so much worse than here in Ottawa and even when Im in US, they arent as bad as they were back home.
    I can even breathe normally, to me that's a luxury.

13. skip

I would like to add here that your mental attitude towards your health is essential if you are going to make a big change in your diet.

You have to believe that you can improve yourself, and that changing your diet is a positive step towards that goal.

It really helps to envision yourself healthier, happier, more energetic, more focused and more self-confident as a result of your actions to improve your diet.

And changing your diet should be just one part of your overall plan to improve your health. Exercise, too, should be included.

For those considering a fast, mental attitude is everything! Fasting tests your willpower like nothing else, except perhaps stopping smoking.

So it's smart to psyche yourself up for a fast. Depending upon your motivation for the fast you can envision yourself having achieved whatever goals you've chosen. Let that be your fallback mental set when you feel yourself giving into hunger.

What I do is accept my body's responses to the fast as being a GOOD thing. So when hunger pangs occur, each one reminds me that what I'm doing is WORKING, and that I'm on the path to successfully meeting my goal(s).

So rather than respond to a hunger pang with thoughts of food, I respond with thoughts of continuing the fast because it's working so well. In fact I envision with each pang of hunger, more fat cells being accessed and re-digested.

I know that each hunger pang is a positive sign because from previous experience I must experience that hunger to feel better and get healtier. So I've altered the associative paths in my brain to see hunger as something positive, with a reward response, rather than something requiring a urgent response of consumption.

This is analogous to the natural response to fasting after three days, when the body switches from burning sugar reserves to fat reserves. You lose your hunger pangs because the body no longer needs an outside source for energy.

It's that same switch that we can access through our minds if we try. The hunger pains might still persist for the first three days, but we can certainly temper our response by changing our attitude towards them.

14. skip

Dairy products can exacerbate allergies by increasing the mucus supply. Have you tried using an air filter? Those can be well worth the investment (get a good one!) They work excellent on dust and pollen.

BTW, I just read that Canada's dairy products contain the highest levels of trans-fats in the world! Something like 7% of total fat, much higher than most other countries. So you might want to cut back on dairy products, not just because they are bad for allergies.

15. kpbluey

kpbluey Member

Right on! : )

16. I've just found these threads on diet, fasting etc so I don't know if anyone will read this but I have a fairly mixed diet of veg, fruit and some fish and meat and never think about illness or the like. I just assume I am healthy. I've never seen a doctor in over 8 years, in fact since I decided I wasn't going to pay to see one and I hadn't at that time sussed out the system in this country. I have got totally fucked knees but find that exercise in moderation, no weight gain and little saturated fat keep things in control without the need for anti inflamatories. I'm my own worse enemy though. Went surfing for the first time in 10 years the other day and could hardly walk for 2 days!

17. lootfish

lootfish Member

what are you talking about?? all other societies from ours lived in a horrible struggle for survival in the mud!! everyone knows this!

18. caliente

caliente Senior Member

You are incorrect. Studies have long and consistently shown that Neolithic peoples get around 75% of their calories from plant sources. Instead of being known as "hunter-gatherers", they should instead be called "gatherer-hunters".

There are no doubt exceptions to this general rule to be found throughout the world, but this finding has held up across continents and across millennia.

This is not to say that Neolithic people do not hunt at all, or that the importance of hunting should be minimized. And what you say about the relationship between the buffalo and the Plains Indian is true.

But the fact is that, in general, plant sources account for a much higher proportion of these peoples' diet than do animal sources.