The Rain

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by Deidre, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Sitting here still, watching the rain. There's something about a rainstorm that's calming and comforting. As the water hits the pavement and slickers the grass, it feels like it's instructing me to stay still. There's no rush, I don't need to leave the house. It's okay to do nothing for a moment, or two. The stillness and quiet feels good. I can't hear any cars whizzing by or airplanes in the sky, just the hammering of water droplets falling on my windows and rooftop. I like the sound of rain, and how it drowns out life. Quiets everything and everyone around you, even birds take cover, and you can barely hear their faint chirping in the distance.

The rain stopped a few minutes ago, which means I need to move, get busy, do things. Be productive. But, for those 30 minutes, the rain let me slow down, and think about everything and nothing, all at once. Until, I only thought of it. How powerful the sky is, and how I'll never really understand clouds.

I hear birds chirping again, and the whirring of airplane engines overhead. Looking outside, the sun is trying to peek through the silver ribbons of clouds, and the cycle of nature begins anew. After rain, comes the sun...and perhaps, a blurry rainbow. In about an hour, the sidewalks will be dry, and it will seem like all of what I'm telling you, never happened at all. But, it did. That's the tricky part about rain. It leaves you with a good story, but maybe only one that you believe.

Moonglow181 and fundoo like this.
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Love this Deidre, especially the end.

It is raining here today too and captures my mood perfectly

Deidre likes this.
  3. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Very well written. I've always loved listening to the rain though it seems like I haven't gotten to hear it from inside the house in a long ass time. Always someone blaring their TV or music lol

Deidre likes this.
  4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You should move to Jane's part of the world where it rains on 364 days of the year. :yum::yum::yum:

Deidre likes this.
  5. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

That may be too much rain lol

Deidre likes this.
  6. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

And then you go to run errands in the rain, and there's accidents, and ambulances speeding by, and it's probably due to the slippery roads because of the rain, and suddenly, I don't feel all waxing poetic about it. lol

7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Great stuff. I love that last line of yours in the poetry........

"It leaves you with a good story, but maybe only one that you believe."

I love the rain......when it is a gentle one.....It can be heavier when I am inside already, though.....lol

Deidre likes this.
  8. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Thank you, @Moonglow181 - yea sometimes the rain is beautiful, peaceful, other times it’s very inconvenient. lol