The qwerty keybaord

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Bilby, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

The qwerty keyboard layout was conceived to in the days of manual typewriters to stop typebars getting jammed. But typists would had to slow down when typing point. Ironically on a computer keyboard it is one of the quickest words to type.

I have sometimes thought about Dvorak keyboard. You can buy plastic transfer things to go over your laptop keyboard and then you alter you bios but I am not sure I would ever get used to it.

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

you wouldn't need to alter ur BIOS, there are settings in windows (if thats wat ur running) for different keyboard layouts. You can pop the keys off and put them back on where ever you want on most keyboards. Also, the qwerty keyboard takes into account the frequency at which letters occur in words so that that most words are typed with two hands and not one...makes it faster typing

3. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

That was the justification that I was always taught for the QWERTY arrangement of keys.

Never before heard the suggestion that it was to stop the levers jamming together on a manual typewriter.

Do you have a reference to support that, Bilby?

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwerty

5. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I do believe what he said is also true, maybe one came as a side effect of the other using 2 hands so ur not hitting keys that are so close to each other so often. I don't think I would be able to type on any other keyboard layout, I would have to unlearn how to type.