The problem of God

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by neonspectraltoast, Aug 22, 2018.

1. The problem of God

I’m too dumb to understand it.

But, on the other hand, could it be that God is not aware of what the bits and pieces of its dream are like? It just comes up with scenarios and they come true. Perhaps just a source of light, with the personality of a child that loves its creation, flashing as it speaks.

I am not that God. I have the body of a man. And I am too dumb to understand what its whole point is. But I believe it is likely as not that it is a real thing that exists. Sort of like the talking star in It’s A Wonderful Life.

It could be something abstract, like a jellyfish that glows. Or a flying spaghetti monster. But, at the same time, every creature seems kind of exotic and I would say, abstract, to every other living creature. So why couldn’t it be a human? Why couldn’t it be every human, and we actually are causing this all to happen, but we are unaware? We are God, but we aren’t aware that our dream is being caused by us, and science is all a method of inspecting the bits and pieces of our dreams…

So God simply becomes more powerful all of the time. Ingesting information like a black hole while also having the fortune of being a completely separate entity within the realm of its own dream.

I believe that a God creature could exist. Whether it be a flashing source of light or a flying spaghetti monster. I assume it would be capable of almost anything, having such a chaotic dream as it does. But I also think it would be extremely friendly, a non-confrontational sort of entity that you kind of just want to hug and kiss. Most animals are like that, in my opinion. Dogs, cats, beavers, rabbits, coyotes, kangaroos...you just wish you could snuggle with them.

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Probably the two most obvious solutions to the problem are you view the Universe arises in completely naturalistic ways, God is unnecessary and therefore don't multiply entities beyond necessity, or you view God as a necessary being who is incomprehensible and then just chalk it up to "The lord works in mysterious ways" regarding your ignorance.

Attempting to embody God into a jellyfish or creature seems problematic and likely leads to even more questions like what did this form from? how does it reciprocate the information it ingests? etc. As for us being Gods, we only reside on one planet amongst millions of other species and as a species have only been around for %0.002 the age of the Universe. Seems a bit presumptuous.

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

But it's interesting how quickly we are obtaining the same abilities that we once bestowed on our gods. Humans live in the sky (on the ISS), cure once incurable diseases and are 'all-knowing' (if you have access to Google or some equivalent) to give some examples. (Immortality is on our bucket-list...I just had to stick that in somewhere.) We are still quite imperfect with our new found powers but we are progressing at an astonishing rate. God is such a useful tool, I think, that we are creating it out of ourselves. It's still a toss up whether Angry God or Loving God wins though.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

All those technological advances were brought about by examining the natural world. To compare those example to being God-like is at best a loose metaphor but a gross hyperbole is probably more accurate.

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Socrates believed in the Memory of God, or greater truth, whom none may look upon and remember in all his glory. None of us sees the whole truth but, paradoxically, all of us simultaneously see the same truth, that none of us sees the whole truth. You could call God the greater truth, that without a context, the truth is meaningless. Whether you believe in God or not, you have to believe in your own truth before you can believe in anything else.

6. It doesn't matter what the jellyfish formed from. That is only an instance of dissecting what a dream is made of. It evolved, but that was just the evolution of the dream. History is like a long dream, though. Whereas in our nightly dreams evolution occurs in rapid fire. A dog can change into a sock when we dream.

I don't see why the jellyfish shouldn't be the dreamer as well. I don't see why any creature shouldn't be the dreamer as well. We are more a part of God's dream when we are awake, which is why we try to make sense of it while we're awake. But we have the same power to dream and make real, so we, as dreamers, influence the mind of God as well.

If the jellyfish had the exact same dream as God, it could reciprocate information back to other dreamers via flashes of glowing light in its jelly belly.

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the problem of/with god(s), is humans trying to tell each other what to pretend about it/them.

(the non-problem is their innocence in not owing jack to people doing so)

8. wooleeheron

Gods have the same problems as anyone else, just to make sure nobody feels left out. Even Jesus was tempted or there was no point in being nailed to the cross. We have Gods to look up to and basketball stars, but the idea that Gods are perfect is humanly inconceivable. For all practical purposes Gods are all flawed.

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I think themnax has the answer. He is God, after all ;-)

10. wooleeheron

Do you tithe to him? That's the first real test of a God. If people actually spend money on them.

11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yes.

12. wooleeheron

Does he have a good complaint department? AI is the future.

13. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yes. He gets slightly ruffled occasionally but all complaints are generally dealt with great equanimity and gracious poise.

14. Astray

Astray Visitor

Perhaps God is perfect, but our imperfect mind cannot grasp this perfection. As a result, we can only see ourselves in God. Hence, God is imperfect and problematic.

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

For me God is largely in absentia. Oh wow I looked out of the window and it's raining.

16. wooleeheron

That sounds boring, a perfect God wouldn't be boring. Is he at least funny?

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Well, did you hear about the dyslexic insomniac who lay awake all night wondering if there was a dog.

18. wooleeheron

I heard Cerberus guards the gates to hell because one of his heads is always awake barking.

19. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

God is perfect, God is funny, God is my father and friend

20. wooleeheron

You know who your father is?