The price of butter

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Bilby, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

The world price of butter has increased 60% in the last 12 months. While on one hand I don't like paying more something than I used to, I can see it is a good thing that demand is increasing and the demand for margarine is going down the drain. Even the most unethical investor would not be putting their money in margarine production.

David0301 likes this.
  2. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Our household buys margarine and stock piles it. I last counted 32 boxes (128 sticks) of Land O Lakes 80% vegetable oil in the freezer. Butter doesn't work for everything.

Our local grocery store stop carrying our land o lakes. Now we drive 10 miles to get our much needed margarine.

Maybe one of those investors is a baker and keeps production alive.

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Why put margarine in the freezer? It is a sterile product and keeps for years without refrigeration.

4. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Because my wife says so.

5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

my wife dosnt say so....I just ran out of room everywhere else in the house. I didn't want to take up that precious hot pocket storage real estate but when I had to start putting it near the cats litter box I knew it was either hot pockets or margarine and the choice was easy at that point.

BTW anyone want a cat?

1 person likes this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I buy a huge log of butter from a local dairy farm, $10 and it lasts like 3 months.

But seriously what's with the stockpiling of margarine?

1 person likes this.
  7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Free organic butter and Tibet!

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I feel like I'm eating something unhealthy with butter, and I don't care for the taste of margarine. So, I choose neither! I usually just put something else on whatever I'm eating (barbecue sauce for example), or if I comes with butter on it or with it I just bite the bullet and eat the stuff. I figure I exercise a bit so it's nothing to get worried about.

9. Asmodean

Lol preferring bbq sauce above butter because butter makes you feel like you're eating something unhealthy!

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

It's all how you look at it.
    Some people can't have sugar some can't have fat.

11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Olive spread is a good alternative to butter and margarine.

1 person likes this.
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Butter isnt bad for you

13. Asmodean

You're not supposed to eat it just out of hand

14. soulcompromise

Is Bbq sauce bad? :unsure:

15. soulcompromise

Really? I'm under the impression that it contributes to high cholesterol or something. Does it contain saturated fat? I don't really know anything about it to be honest.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Well what had happened was

Years ago back in the 50s the sugar industry manipulated data to make it appear as if it was fat rather than sugar causing obesity and the health complications that come along with it

Leading to decades of fat demonization when in fact fat, including saturated fat, is not particularly bad for you and is necessary for the body to function correctly

Look into it. I would dig up some links for you but I'm feeling lazy lol

Bilby and soulcompromise like this.
  17. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Butter is very healthy. A quality, grass-fed butter is full of healthy fats and nutrients like vitamin K2, D and E.

Contrary to popular belief, saturated fats and cholesterol are not unhealthy when consumed within reason from whole food sources.

Margarine is what is unhealthy, as it is full of inflammatory trans and omega-6 polyunsaturated fats.

Coconut oil is very healthy too, even though it is pure fat. Fat is good for you, but of course anything can be overconsumed. Nobody is suggesting people eat sticks of butter, though I would still say even that is healthier than eating a fast food burger.

Bilby likes this.
  18. Pressed_Rat

Well, it's full of sugar, but in moderation nothing is really bad.

Bilby and soulcompromise like this.
  19. Pressed_Rat

Well, you do need some fat in your diet to survive. You don't need sugar to survive.

Bilby likes this.
  20. Asmodean

Yeps, and it is becoming more and more mainstream knowledge (in my part of the world at least) that saturated fats are not as bad as previously thought. The consensus is shifting :)
    After this discovery the 'transfats' were perceived as a main culprit for heart and artery diseases, but here researchers are gaining more insights too. I noticed one of the few things that is currently regarded most unhealthy regarding fat and meat/dairy foods is the black burned edge on grilled meat.

Bilby likes this.