the power of now eckhart tolle

Discussion in 'Metaphysics, Philosophy and Religion Books' started by meditation24h24, Sep 30, 2012.

1. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Light is that by which everything is seen.

2. Fringe

Fringe Guest

There are other ways to see than using light says the deep sea creatures, bats, moles and that which is blind.

But anyhoo :hat:

3. thedope

Light is consciousness in these terms, bally hoo and tally ho. Seeing is not vision. Perception is not knowledge but can lead to it. You must make sense of the senses. The rub is you cannot escape the effects of your own thinking. So it behooves to focus on what you want instead of trying to decide what might be available, then you will see what lights you eyes. If you transcend your own appearances, the make up you put on, then what appears is you.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

There's darkness everywhere Ryan. You just can't see because the sun is such an attention whore :D

From Wilfred

5. Fringe

Fringe Guest

"bally hoo and tally ho"- giggles.

I don't mean to be rude but I think I've seen some of those sentences in fortune cookies.

Perception is not knowledge but can lead to it?
    You must make sense of the senses?

"The rub is you cannot escape the effects of your own thinking."

Yes, you can. You can watch your thoughts and not identify with them- it is identifying with them that has an effect on you.

"So it behooves to focus on what you want instead of trying to decide what might be available, then you will see what lights you eyes."

Huh?

Focusing on who you are that wants would be a better plan.

"If you transcend your own appearances, the make up you put on, then what appears is you"

With enlightenment comes the realization that there is no you.

And you said we were all enlightened. If so, all would realize there is no you.

Ooo Joni Mitchell if on! :daisy:

6. thedope

You are not rude just misinformed. Watching your thoughts is making sense of the senses.

Who do you think you are, mr. bigstuff? You are already who you are. The reason you stumble is because you don't know what you want not being able to escape the effects of your own thinking.

You doubt you exist, that is insane.

Joni you selfish bitch, what happened to I am you and you are me and you and me and we are all together, goo goo gajoob?

as to fortune cookie sayings life is abundant.

7. Fringe

Fringe Guest

Easy Fell'r. ;)

The subject is Books. The OP is The Power of Now Eckhart Tolle.

To have an informed discussion you would need to read the book.

:peace:

8. thedope

Was there something you wanted to inform me of? Make your case from the book, I make my case from the power of now. You misinterpret if you think I am not easy. You suggested that what I was saying was not relevant and sounding like fortune cookie sayings and sought to replace them with cliches. To have an informed discussion you need simply have the information.

9. Fringe

Fringe Guest

What is your case from the power of now?

10. thedope

You mean besides what I have already said?
    One, no such thing as autonomous pain, What appears to be autonomous is habit emerging from quite conscious but sublimated decisions. All things arise from conception. The mind is extremely powerful and active and quite apart from the concept of inaction there are no idle thoughts and all actions arise from premise.

It is a contradiction in terms to say that time is an illusion and all power exists in the moment of now. What is the moment of now but a timely instant? The illusion about time is that it is linear as in from past to future. Time is concentric both the past and future artifacts of current emergence. This moment is not built on the past but modeled after refection on memory the past not becoming the past until it emerges in the present and same with the future it being a theoretical projection with memory as a backstop and imagination defining the destination. Every blink of an eye instant is an entirely new creation modeled on past reflection with intention, conscious choice. We always choose with a guide. Essentially to have a future different from the past you make a different choice in the present.

If you find yourself uneasy you may consider your previous learning in someway suspect because reality supports it's constituents and the only thing that could be in jeopardy are you illusions about it. Anxiety is caused by the misapprehension of what is so. There are no negative effects, what is not real does not exist. So considering this,
    There is not to much or too little of anything you see only the past but you cannot escape the effects of your own thinking. Pain and anxiety have only one lesson to teach, you don't want it. Many feel that it exists to direct you in some fashion but all you want to do is be rid of it. If we suffer from illusion it is the truth that sets us free.
    Since we always choose with a guide, let anxiety be your guide that you need additional circumspection beginning obviously with the realization that if you knew what was so you wouldn't have anxiety about it, reality not being illegitimate in it's proportions.

I'll will pause here for any recognition or questions or refutations that may emerge from what has been said so far.

11. Fringe

Fringe Guest

I appreciate the thoroughness of your answer. Thank you.

It is clear that you are clear on what you think. Accepted.

Fringe

12. thedope

You are welcome. Do you have any insight on the power of now you would like to add?

13. thedope

As to this;
    The first sentence of this quote and the second sentence in bold are self contradictory. I would cross both out. There is no order of difficulty as there are no idle thoughts and to cultivate a thought is simply to make a consistent choice in the present. The third I would modify to say having and being are the same. To have an experience now that is different from the past we make a different choice in the present. As elemental as breathing wherein the pace of life is determined. Take a breath, observe the sensation that follows. Make a determination about the world and observe the sensation that follows. This is the education of the biofeedback loop to the unobserved observer.

14. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

This was after his enlightenment. The perception of his changed completely that he just enjoyed the state of being for itself and especially being in nature.

Most of us are so trapped in the mind and world of thoughts, that we just cannot perceive reality as it is, and misses the beautiful things around.

15. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

If Eckhart Tolle's 'The power of Now' is complemented with Jiddu Krishnamurti's ' Freedom from the Known' and 'Choiceless Awareness' , along with Osho's book 'Awareness', the reader might be able to make better sense of the book. All these writers have written on the same subject from different angles which may help in better comprehension of the subject matter.