the potato thread

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Samhain, May 16, 2006.

1. Stabby

Stabby Member

My take on whether or not potatoes are healthy is a bit conflicted. On the one hand they're highly glycemic, but on the other hand they have a wide spectrum of nutrients. To get enough nutrients to see nutritional benefit, a person will have to eat enough to spike their blood insulin and protein types like me avoid that like the plague (because eventually it will become the equivalent to a plague). For people with carb type metabolisms there's nothing fundamentally wrong with some steamed potatoes, but it's hardly a health food.

Taste-wise I prefer yams or sweet potatoes all day long.

2. Defcon1Adm1n

Defcon1Adm1n Member

scalloped is the best

3. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Hey Stabby, ever heard of Orthorexia nervosa?
    If not please google...

ZW

4. Stabby

Stabby Member

Yes I have. Are you inferring that I have such a condition because I like to be healthy? My metabolic type doesn't do well blasting the crap out of our insulin receptors constantly so I don't. Not to mention all of the other problems stemming from insulin spikes. I like feeling great and having tons of energy and I don't like the idea of chronic disorders when I'm older and a death any time before 100 years of age. Striving for optimal health and fitness is a hobby of mine and learning as much as I can about it is very enjoyable. Educating others who want to learn more and improve their lives is an important part of it too.

5. raz5

raz5 زینب

fuck yes a potato thread! i love all potatos! yeah!!
    i love them so much i wish i had some now!
    yeah potatos!!

6. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

Love potatos,just about anyway you cook them their one of my staple foods,mmm

7. pushit

pushit One jive Motha Fucka

I <3 potatoes!!

8. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I'm just fuckin' with ya, buddy ;)
    (but I do think the"metabolic type" thing is a bunch of hooey)

ZW :reddevil: PS don't be hatin' on my 'taters....

9. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

The only kind i like are french fries or potatoe wedges. Lol thats not how you spell it is it?
    OODOASHDSHUJBHDSKJBKSJDBBHDS>BHJ DSBSKDJ100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000POSSSSTTTSS

10. Stabby

Stabby Member

The evidence for metabolic typing is more evident with athletes and highly athletic types. When you're trying to get the fuel for a match or a workout you'll notice a much better result when you stick to the principles for your type. For regular moderate exercise or no exercise I find my energy levels are still higher when I don't consume too much carbohydrates at any one time, but there are plenty of people who need much more than I do to have energy at all, even if they have high b-vitamin levels.

For anyone in generally good health who isn't overweight and only does moderate exercise, an all-purpose and well-balanced diet works just fine. But for anyone with specific goals in mind, metabolic typing is important.

11. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Personally i'm not the biggest fan of potatoes.. or rather yet.. i have changed my view on the potato now that i am trying to be healthier.. if i do have them.. i like frying them up in a tiny bit of EVOO with some seasoning.. i used to love mashed potatoes.. mmm.. i could eat them for days.. not any more

12. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

What changed for you and how can I accomplish this? I love me some mashed potatoes and probably shouldn't.

13. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

i just dont buy potatoes when i shop... out of sight out of mind

14. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

I like my potatos fried in lots of oil! then covered in salt!

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I mostly like MASHED POTATO!!!!!!! ('Instant' so there are no lumps)

I like Potato salad IF IT TASTES RIGHT :)