the potato thread

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Samhain, May 16, 2006.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nimh the skin is very good for you though isn't it, like if you bake it have a healthy fulling, thats got to be a good nutrious meal would you not agree?
    S

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

bah, there are still better choices. but if you want to eat potato peelings, then by all means, go ahead! LOL

ps, remember we're in the middle of an obesity epidemic, and it's because the food pyramid is based on starchie foods that arent very nutrient dense. we've known for a long time that the lower calorie nutrient dense foods are much much healthier~prevent heart disease, cancer, aging, etc. the starchies like bread, pasta, potatoes used to be famine subsistance foods. people didnt used to choose to eat them over the other alternatives, but we (society as a whole) have become so addicted to them that we are very very fat, and have a lot of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc. just look at the glycemic index of the potato, for example. baked white potatoes have the same glycemic index as table sugar!!! do you know what that does to your body? when that much sugar (and your body reads potatos just like table sugar) hits the bloodstream, the body cranks out a lot of extra insulin to deal with it. that puts a lot of stress on the pancreas which over time can create type 2 diabetes because of pancreatic 'burn out'. and insulin tells sugar to go get stored in cells as...FAT!! that means that the energy from the potatoes doesnt get used, it gets stored away. no wonder we have an obesity epidemic...

down with the potato, i say!! up with salad!! up with cruceriferous veggies!! up with berries!!

3. Samhain

[​IMG]

He's aPEELING to you to be kinder
    S

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

hehe, that's hilarious! did you peel that spud yourself?

5. Samhain

I put 'sad potato' into search :p
    S

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

it's really true, you can find anythign on the internet. :):p

7. Samhain

this threads now gone hot.

hot potatoes
    S :X

8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Well I have sometimes tried going without carbs and it does not work for me. Problems include difficulty falling asleep, sexual dysfunction and lack of energy and motivation. As long as the calories consumed do not exceed those that you burn up there is not a problem. As for the glycemic index, it might be helpful for people watching or wanting to lose weight, but overweight has never been a problem for me. I would not disagree for one moment that all the aforementioned foods are good.

I have mixed feelings about white floor versus wholemeal flour. As I understand things wheat grains stored in a cool, dry and dark environment will keep for years but once ground should be used ASAP. At the moment I am still using wholemeal bought bread, but I might reconsider things one day.

I largely agree with Barbara Ehrenreich in this article.
    It makes me laugh every time I read it.

9. Samhain

so ive heard that if you heat up potato slices and apply them to the underneith of your eyes the sodium helps with the dark bits- anyone else heard this?
    S

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

boiled, baked or in a stew,
    sauteed, fried or bar b qued, ...

of noodles, bread, potatoes or rice, noodles are my favorite,
    although potatoes actualy do have some food value
    the're not actual 'just' starch. they've even got a little vitamin c in them

still don't care for them all that much as some people seem to

and i just about only ever care for starches of any kind as a meat extender.

baked is good on a cold winter evening when the heat from the oven helps to heat up the house too. conversely of course, ain't no way in the summer time.

=^^=
    .../\...

11. Tamee

Tamee naked

my boyfriend says he eats em raw, too...
    :confused: I don't know about that. I don't think it'd be bad for you though, eh?

and uh, I don't think eating potatoes is bad for you. maybe in excess, but isn't everything bad in excess??

12. Samhain

apparantly they are posions raw, nimh will tell us she'll know!
    S

13. Tamee

Tamee naked

hmm...poisonous? crazy

14. Samhain

there are foods that need to be well cooked and not eaten raw, the kidney bean is one of them
    S

15. Tamee

Tamee naked

ha, I don't think I'd want to eat any bean raw

16. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

bean sprouts are good raw, and much better than potatoes. dunno about eating raw taters, but i do remember my gramma telling me not to. the green parts of potatoes are toxic, definitely dont eat those.

17. Samhain

you might not dig em much my dear, however this thread is the most popular in our forum, so I gues they have fans
    :D
    S

18. cattiecat

cattiecat Member

what about the book potatoes instead of prozac...anyways i love red potatoes. i cook some in the pressure cooker and keep them in the refrigerator.. i like them with broccoli and cut up garlic and salt and pepper..

19. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

For some reason I don't like tatas :) Never have.

20. Maitereya

Maitereya Member

dang nimh, you just killed my potato craze.