The Pillars of the Earth

Discussion in 'TV Dramas' started by IWantTo, Dec 23, 2010.

1. IWantTo

IWantTo Member

Anyone watch this tv series? So far it has captured my interest. I should be done with the book this weekend. What are your thoughts?

2. desertwoman

desertwoman Guest

I read the book years ago and remember that it was awesome, the kind of book I couldn't put down. Same with the sequel, whose name escapes me now.

We're watching the series now, the first time for the husband, a first re-watch for me. I liked it the first time and still do, but I'm more critical of the casting this time.

Rufus Sewell is superb, as is Ian McShane. We saw him recently in Kings and watching him again in Pillars, it seems he's playing the same character. I haven't seen enough of him to tell whether he is capable of greater range or if he gravitates to roles with arrogant, ambitious and scheming qualities. He was excellent in both productions.

The part of Aliena is well done, as is that of William Hamleigh. Most of the rest were not impressive or they simply weren't in line with the notions I had developed while reading the book.

The series is faithful to the book in the presentation of the characters and events, but the focus and perspective are different. In the series, the romantic themes and confrontations between the opposing factions take the lead. The actual history of events and the politics of the day are pushed to the background. Granted, a lot of the book's pages of exposition on the history, politics and the multi-faceted art of masonry simply must be trimmed from the limited narrative of the television medium and would make for tedious viewing.

Overall, the book is outstanding and the TV series is a well-done, mostly faithful rendering.

3. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

It was all right.

I watched it on and off.

Better than most of the junk on nowadays, no John Adams.