The ongoing border crises

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GrayGuy57, Jan 9, 2023.

1. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Apologies......link in previous post did not work......

2. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Our border issues, and tremendous influxes of immigrants are, certainly, not confined to the southern border of the United States.

Europe, also, is also going through some serious issues regarding immigrants from the Africa and the Middle East.

Seems that this is a serious issue with no easy solution, by any means.....

"Live long and prosper"

3. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

4. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

6. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

It's those damn Canadians slipping over the border.....they are a sneaky pale bunch......

scratcho and Flagme15 like this.
  7. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

IF and WHEN the issues involving our southern border is EVER rectified, it will be QUITE interesting to see just HOW the problem will be solved.

Personally, I ain't holding my breath on this matter.........

"Live long and prosper"

8. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

There was one thug, stealing and rolling a cart full of pressure washers out the front door of the Home Depot here. An 83 year old employee said something to him and the thief shoved him out of the way - the old guy fell, hit his head on the concrete and died a few days later. It took a few weeks, but they finally caught up with the crook and charged him with Murder 1. He looked like a really friendly fellow in his mug shot. Vermin.

9. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

If our illegal immigration situation is not serious enough, we also have to all now walk a VERY thin line regarding racism.

Most certainly, there are (sadly) racist cops, who do NOT belong on the job, BUT, also, there are many instances where the police are leery about arresting a criminal, for fear it will spark some sort of racial altercation.

NO ONE is above the law, PERIOD.

REGARDLESS of your color, you MUST obey the LAW.....NO EXCEPTIONS.

I worked for many years with a number of great guys (black and Hispanic) who told me that, in some of their areas, they had to move out, due to the rising crime.

Sad that GOOD people have to leave their roots behind and find somewhere else to live, because crime is so rampant and out-of-control.

Eliminating racist police officers for the moment, I know I would NOT want to be an officer on an urban police force these days.

No matter WHAT I do (except, perhaps, rescuing a cat from a tree, or helping an elderly person cross a busy intersection) SOMEONE is going to say that I acted "inappropriately".

I have NO use whatsoever for ANY sort of racist or bigot, BUT, given the fact that racial tensions have been soaring the past several years, we now live in a topsy-turvy world where, even if you accidently bump into someone on the subway, or even glance at someone "the wrong way", it can be defined as a "racial" incident, and, sadly, can often result in either being stabbed, shot, or sucker-punched.

I worked in New York for nearly 25 years, and, until 9/11 (of which I am a survivor) I loved it and loved exploring so many areas of this great city, and riding the subways with little fear, and meeting great people from far and near, representing many rich cultures.

I have not been back into the city since I retired 19 years ago, and, when I see how grim and volatile the situation is in the city today, I am VERY grateful I no longer work there.

Public transit is no longer safe, and too many areas are now combat zones; even areas long thought to be "safe" have now been invaded by brazen criminals and other unsavory types.

I am MORE than glad to stay safely at home, and recall a more normal, less-volatile way of urban life.........simply put, there is NO EASY SOLUTION to either the illegal immigration situation, nor racial injustices........

"Live long and prosper"

10. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

As I have so often said, the best view of New York is in the rear view mirror. Well, once you get past New Jersey....

11. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Well, as much as I so loved "The Big Apple" in years past, the way things are today, I am MORE than glad that it is now but a flickering shadow in my own "rear-view mirror".

To be fair, however, most of our big cities now have multiple negative issues, issues that easily discourage folks from even VISITING there, much less MOVING there.

Chicago, sadly, has gotten totally out of control in recent years; this is a city that always greatly interested me, but, these days, I'd rather read about it and look at photos....it's a LOT cheaper and a LOT safer!

Sadly, most big cities these days have far too much crime; London, one of the most historically fascinating cities in the world, has also been dealing with a rising crime rate during the past few decades.

Drugs and homelessness have indeed eaten away at the very core of so many of our cities, and the problems do not seem to be waning any time soon.........

"Live long and prosper"

12. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Nope, I'm done with big city living....I have zero interest in seeing that stuff again.

13. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

You and me BOTH!

I was always greatly fascinated by big cities and their complex ganglia of infrastructure, monuments, museums, and transportation networks, but, these days, I'm MORE than happy with just re-living my many memories.

Cities today do NOTHING for me.

The way the world is today, I am QUITE happy to just stay here at home, with what's left of my sanity.....(!!);)

"Live long and prosper"

14. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

So true I don't feel safe going shopping with the wife.

15. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Until all the almost-marathon mass shooting in stores and in other public places became commonplace, I NEVER gave going to the store a second thought.

Today, I am always looking over my shoulder, always on the alert.

If someone cuts in line ahead of me, I simply ignore it.

Why say anything?

How do I know this person is not armed?

I indeed thank the Lord I am now retired, and no longer have to travel into the city, nor do I have a reason to rely on public transportation.

As a lifelong bachelor, I only have to look out for myself; I simply stay at home, and only venture out to run errands, once or twice a week.

However, I continually worry about my niece (who works in her son's school), my other niece, who is into public relations, and my nephew, who is a security officer at a restaurant/bar.

I am always concerned for their personal safety, given the gun violence that has now become almost a daily way of life for the American people.

These days, if you can avoid "the real world" on a regular basis (as I do) you are fortunate indeed.

Even my cousin and her husband, when attending Mass, are always on the alert.

Sad......and tragic.....that one can no longer even attend a religious service nowadays and feel safe.

Lord preserve us all.......

"Live long and prosper"

jimandjan likes this.
  16. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Housing shortage issue is made worse by all of the "New Americans" . No, i'm not ginning up nativism & xenophobia.

17. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

This is especially a crises in New York; I had heard that a cruise ship docked in Brooklyn was being used as a "temporary hotel" for male asylum seekers.

I just heard earlier that a group of the same refuse to leave the hotel in Hell's Kitchen (New York) to be transferred to a shelter.

I cannot believe how monstrously out-of-proportion this whole migrant situation has gotten, over the past several months.

It is BEYOND insane, on so many levels, and I think will only worsen before things begin to improve....IF, in fact, they EVER do......

"Live long and prosper"

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

The climate crisis is causing sea levels to rise faster than for 3,000 years.“Low-lying communities and entire countries could disappear for ever. We would witness a mass exodus of entire populations on a biblical scale. And we would see ever fiercer competition for fresh water, land and other resources."
    The World Meteorological Organization said there would be a 2-3 metre rise over the next 2,000 years if heating were limited to 1.5C, and 2-6m if it were limited to 2C. A UN report in October said there was “no credible pathway to 1.5C in place”. Current national targets, if met, would mean a 2.4C rise in temperature.

Rising seas threaten ‘mass exodus on a biblical scale’, UN chief warns

GrayGuy57 likes this.
  19. MollyCuddled

MollyCuddled Members

How much of the housing crisis is caused by housing becoming a commodity rather than a basic need? Investors buy up houses not for residence but as an investment.

Side note: we could take care of Americans and immigrants if we wanted to. We found $3 trillion for a war in Afghanistan and spend $800 billion annually on defense; more than the next 9 nations combined; 7 of which are allies.

Piobaire likes this.
  20. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

You have made some very valid points, my friend, and I am in total agreement.

Though, personally, I am NOT a "snow person" (I had to commute via public transportation in some VERY nasty winter weather for nearly 25 years), it IS so very evident that Earth is now in the throes of climatic chaos.

Regarding polar ice melting and glaciers disappearing, it is also important to remember that, thousands of years ago, a good portion of the Earth was buried under massive glaciers that were miles deep.

When the glaciers began retreating, the tremendous upheaval of rock in the greater New York/New Jersey area caused the formation of the famed Palisades.

Now, given the fact that, at that time, only scattered "tribes" of ancient people inhabited the Earth, \there were no "greenhouses gases" from fossil-fuel power plants or factories, no gasoline or diesel vehicles, in short, NO man-mad pollution (outside of fires)

And yet, look at the massive and dramatic receding of the glaciers that still took place.

Global warming is a serious issue, one that indeed affects every person, creature, and living thing on the planet.

Only WE can do something to try to stem the tremendous damage that has been inflicted upon our home planet for many hundreds of years.

It is up to ALL of us to at least TRY to repair at least SOME of the damage......

"Live long and prosper"