The ongoing border crises

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GrayGuy57, Jan 9, 2023.

1. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Agreed.

You have made some very valid points here.

With birth control virtually non-existent in so many parts of the globe, ever-flaming political conflicts, and numerous other serious happenings in so many nations, I personally, cannot see the situation easing even slightly, most certainly not within the span of our lifetimes.

Unlike a balloon, our planet cannot expand in girth and size to accommodate its ever-exploding population growth.

Solution? (if, indeed, there is any)

Totally light-years beyond my level of intelligence, for certain.......

"Live long and prosper"

2. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

.......right now, our country can BARELY handle the people who are LEGAL residents (domestic and foreign-born); I heard on the radio earlier that Mayor Adams (New York) said that the care of the migrants that have arrived via caravans of buses these past several months is costing something in the general neighborhood of TWO MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about trying to stop the rash of hate crimes that have been plaguing the city for the past few years?

The problems with mentally disturbed and homeless?

People being shoved onto subway tracks almost on a daily basis, sucker-punched, doused in pepper spray, and brutally stabbed, shot, or maimed, for no reason?

Cities like New York are being blitzed with ever-rising crime rates, rents are skyrocketing, schools and libraries are either grossly underfunded or are closing, programs for senior citizens either being cut or eliminated.

The situation is now light-years beyond insane.

If we can BARELY take care of the people ALREADY hear, HOW can we POSSIBLY take in more?

Look at the crises involving so many hospitals....shortages of doctors, nurses, beds......a critical situation, indeed.

Right now, the immigration situation is beyond out-of-control.

A solution?

I wouldn't even hazard a guess at this point.......

"Live long and prosper"

3. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

This is exactly correct. If the Americanos didn't provide a market for drugs, the cartels would not exist.

Piobaire and GrayGuy57 like this.
  4. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

WELL SAID!

Look at all of the drug cartels throughout Central and South America, also Mexico.

With so many thousands addicted to drugs in this country alone, the drug lords KNOW there will ALWAYS be a STEADY market for the poison they sell.

If there were NO market for illegal drugs, we'd ALL be in a far better place.

Even barring illegal immigration, the "war on drugs" has been a losing battle for decades.

It just ain't gonna go away, folks.........

"Live long and prosper"

Flagme15 likes this.
  5. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Maybe if we end prohibition on narcotics most of the "bad traffic" will vanish leaving those just hoping for a better life here and opening the door for otc products like "Original recipe" Coke without the need to cut it with as much as baby laxatives because to these eyes it looks like the coca plant might take to being trained to grow like a willow so scarcity shouldn't be an issue post-prohibition :D

GrayGuy57 likes this.
  6. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Well, recall the "noble experiment", the Volstead Act, which ended up fueling the notorious gangster wars of the "Roaring 20's", especially in Chicago, ruled by the ruthless Al Capone (" I'm not a bootlegger, I'm a businessman."

Prohibition, in fact, literally gave a tremendous boost to the underworld of that time, as the rival gangs battled over bootlegging, prostitution, political corruption, and a host of other unsavory doings.

Sad to say, but, no matter how bad the current economic status gets, those addicted to drugs will find SOME way to obtain the monet to finance their next "fix".

A line from the classic 1961 Sidney Poitier film, "A Raisin In The Sun" now comes to mind, regarding investing in a liquor store:

"...people will buying their booze, when they can't even make the rent."

But, regarding the current immigration situation, IMHO, I truly feel there is NO easy solution (that is, if there will ever be one)........

"Live long and prosper"

7. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Well, Mexico is becoming a first world country right before your eyes!

More people driving new cars down here than in the USA. Generous annual raises, low inflation, low cost of living and socialized medicine make it a paradise that Americans flock to daily... not only for the quality of life, but the robust culture. You can't call Mexico at large dirt poor, cause the good old USA would look worse with such ranking issues.

One reason SOUTH and CENTRAL Americans are leaving to come here is the lack of support from their northern neighbors like Canada and the USA. We have supported their banana republics and messed with their politics for over a hundred years and the result is a disaster. The USA sets a very bad example in this hemisphere.

Lets face the facts. Americans don't want to work the fields and do the housework, so they get the Mexicans to do it. Allowing seasonal workers helps. No system is in place for this... and that's a real problem for all of us.

8. rebeldharma420

rebeldharma420 Members

i belive that if people are fleeing their country because of war, poverty, then it would make ssense to end war and poverty in those countries. could the west not invest in latin american countries so their economy could grow. i am completely ignorrant of this as i dont live in the states. nor do i no enough about it.

~Zen~, GrayGuy57 and Piobaire like this.
  9. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Fellows:

I thank you for sharing some very interesting views on this "hot button" issue.

Some cycles, it seems, go on forever, and never stop, only changing patterns.

Back in the days of immigration through Ellis Island, many newcomers were looked down by those in the "New World".

Many thought that the Irish were all boozers, that Italians were all involved in organized crime.

Signs reading "NO IRISH NEED APPLY", or "NO ITALIANS WANTED" were, sadly, commonplace were new jobs were being posted.

During WW1 and WW2, many Germans here faced discrimination; ditto (during WW2) the Japanese.

Recall, also, the Japanese in California being placed in prisoner's camps.

Then came the horrific 9/11 attacks (I was in the ground level of the Towers when the first plane hit), and, with the attacks, came waves of anti-Muslim backlash, thanks to the deranged madmen that crashed those jets into the WTC towers.

Immigrants of all colors and creeds, it would seem, have always felt some form of discrimination and backlash.

The trick today is to try to keep "the bad guys" out, and not have such people paint all immigrants in a negative light.......

"Live long and prosper"

~Zen~ and Vermonstah like this.
  10. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Here in the greater NY/NJ area, on ABC 7 (Sundays at 11: 30 AM) there is an excellent half-hour discussion show, "TIEMPO!" hosted by Joe Torres (of Eyewitness News)

This long-running show, which deals with any and all aspects of Latino life (culture, jobs, education, entertainment, etc.) is both intelligent and very informative ; as a total "gringo", I have learned a tremendous deal over the past several years by watching this great program.

Thanks to Joe (and those he interviews each week) I've since become quite educated on a number of Latino issues, that, I feel, are also of interest to non-Hispanics.

There is so much that i was not aware of, so much that I did not previously know.

Joe is an excellent and most congenial host/moderator, and his professional, yet "friendly guy next door" persona indeed makes this show both highly entertaining and educational.

This is an excellent show that easily can interest many non-Hispanics, such as yours truly.

Gracias, Joe!

"Live long and prosper"

11. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Being raised "color blind", when I saw stereotypical Latino characters in vintage cartoons, many years ago, I never, as a boy, never saw them as "offensive".

For instance, "Go Go Gomez" (the early 60's Dick Tracy Show) and Warner Brothers "Speedy Gonzalez" (the fastest mouse in all Mexico!) never made me think of anything stereotyped or demeaning.

Seeing them made me want to learn about Mexico, its people, and rich culture.

"Joe Jitsu" ("The Dick Tracy Show", was, of course a stereotypical caritcture of a Japanese man, but, again, I just enjoyed watching "Joe" thwart the ever-bungling crooks, and would then think about his homeland, Japan, and would read stories about Japan, and look at photos of the country.

Then, too, was the "Frito Bandito"; again, not being raised to stereotype people who were not born here, I would simply laugh at the commercials, and, of course, think about Mexico itself.

I guess it all has to do with how you were raised, and how you perceived what you saw, and not just at face value.....

"Live long and prosper"

Vermonstah likes this.
  12. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Click on this link for a detailed look at Mexico City's extensive subway system:

Mexico City Metro - Wikipedia.

As you can clearly see by the photos, this rapid transit system is CERTAINLY of the "First World" (New York's subways should be so clean!)

The Metro CLEARLY does not shout out "THIRD WORLD"!

San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Lima (Peru) now also boast modern "First World"-style rapid transit systems........

"Live long and prosper"

13. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Here's a couple of interesting pages; one deals with the modern Metro system in Lima.

The other is on Peru; be sure to read about the government, politics, etc....quite interesting (the country itself has a most fascinating history, which goes back many centuries)........

Lima Metro - Wikipedia

Peru - Wikipedia

Also of interest......

Mexico - Wikipedia *

*Scroll down for immigration/emigration information

""Live long and prosper"

Vermonstah likes this.
  14. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

My best buddy's (may he RIP) who was Sicilian (I am Sicilian/Italian/German/Irish/Polish) second wife was born in Lima, and emigrated from Peru (legally) with her mother and older brother in her late teens (early 1970's)

She told stories about how much they loved Peru, but the job market was very, very tight, and, in addition, there was increasing crime and civil unrest.

Her mother had been born in a small town, which, in later years, she always wanted to go back to visit, but couldn't, due to the high crime (due to drug traffic) and all-too-frequent civilian/military clashes.

My friend's wife loved America, and took the country to her heart, but she still loved her roots (they used to go down to visit twice a year); her brother went on to become a very prominent Government doctor at the Pentagon.

Her other (younger) brother stayed in Peru, and ran a huge farm in Ica, a couple of hours south of Lima-he raised plants which he sold to "Clinique" for use in cosmetics; needless to say, he was quite wealthy, and worked hard to get to where he was.

It IS true, for certain.........for EVERY immigrant there are a thousand stories.......

"Live long and prosper"

15. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

My best buddy's (may he RIP) who was Sicilian (I am Sicilian/Italian/German/Irish/Polish) second wife was born in Lima, and emigrated from Peru (legally) with her mother and older brother in her late teens (early 1970's)

She told stories about how much they loved Peru, but the job market was very, very tight, and, in addition, there was increasing crime and civil unrest.

Her mother had been born in a small town, which, in later years, she always wanted to go back to visit, but couldn't, due to the high crime (due to drug traffic) and all-too-frequent civilian/military clashes.

My friend's wife loved America, and took the country to her heart, but she still loved her roots (they used to go down to visit twice a year); her brother went on to become a very prominent Government doctor at the Pentagon.

Her other (younger) brother stayed in Peru, and ran a huge farm in Ica, a couple of hours south of Lima-he raised plants which he sold to "Clinique" for use in cosmetics; needless to say, he was quite wealthy, and worked hard to get to where he was.

It IS true, for certain.........for EVERY immigrant there are, indeed, a thousand stories.......

"Live long and prosper"

16. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

17. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Error in previous link posted....sorry.

18. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

19. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

20. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members