The new voting methods...

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by JOsie, May 28, 2004.

1. JOsie

JOsie Member

is anyone else thinking that the new method of voting is a little bit suss?

or maybe it's just my area that has it this way

everyone in my household has recieved letters with ballot forms in...

we are supposed to fill in the ballot form and sign it...and then get someone else to sign it as a witness...

we then put the ballot in an envelope...and then into another envelope and send it off...which means there is a big fucking gap if anyone wants to find out who's been voting for who...there is no way we can be certain that our ballots aren't being tampered with...or that our votes aren't being counted and listed on some computer somewhere along with our names and addresses...

anyone else a mite worried?

2. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

yeah that does seem a bit sus to be honest josie

3. kier

kier I R Baboon

i'm not 100% sure, but i think you can choose to do postal vote oooorrrr go to the ballot boxes. because so many people aren't voting, it's giving people who normaly find it hard to get to the boxes a chance to have their say

4. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Hmm hadn't thought of it that way JOsie. I just thought it was a pretty convienient way of voting to be honest!

Maybe you have a point but I still prefer postal voting to doing it in person.

Love Clairexxx

5. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

Yeah...it's here too :p

I don;t have to worry about it because I can't vote :p

6. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Wow guys. No offence, but it never ceases to amaze me how little people actually know about the political systems of this country.

There isn't, nor has there ever been, a secret ballot at the general election. When you receive your ballot paper on polling day, your electoral registration number is written on the counterfoil. After counting, all the ballots in the country are collected and stored at Hayes in Middlesex. After a year, they're destroyed. During that year, however, anyone with the proper court order could theoretically look at the ballots and match your name and address to the party for whom you voted.

7. JOsie

JOsie Member

i did not know that...