The *new* Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Alternative and Indie Music' started by sped, May 28, 2007.

1. sped

sped Member

So, whats everyones thoughts on the new Smashing Pumpkins, I heard one song last night and to be honest, it was kinda crap, it was a bit jumbled etc. I cant remember the title, but i think it was a single. I dont know if its just me being all "things were so much better back in the olden days" or if it really isnt as good...

2. TeknoShaman

TeknoShaman Member

I think they are trying to return to their old sound but show some sort of progression style-wise. I don't think it's crap, it's just not what it used to be.

3. Freekowtski

Freekowtski Member

Things were much better in the past. Always.

4. Biggen

Biggen Banned

Otherwise known as "Billy Corgans' other projects tanked so he got SP back together but really it's just him and some session dudes"

5. Biggen

Biggen Banned

You mean, in 1999? When you were an eight year old Pumpkins fan?

6. katewill

katewill Member

7. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

So what? I've been a SP fan since I was 7. Just because someone's young doesn't make them any less a fan.

And I think the new song is really good, and I'm really looking forward to the CD.

8. Tortheviking

Tortheviking Member

I think it's funny that he found a cute girl to play bass and an asian-looking guy to play second guitar. I saw a picture of them playing some fest in europe where Billy was wearing this retarded looking cumono. (sp?)

Eh, whatever. He went crazy. Maybe he always was.

New stuff is mediocre.

9. Mildred Pierce

Mildred Pierce Member

10. TerminallyChill

TerminallyChill Member

How come whenever musicians find Jesus they stop being good? The new album is alright--certainly better than Billy's solo album--but is almost too tightly polished, too uninventive.

11. chlorine

chlorine Banned

12. jacobfredjo

jacobfredjo Senior Member

i always liked Pisces Iscariot and Melon Collie / Infinite Sadness. Stumbleine (Infinite Sadness) was one of the first songs i learned on guitar, awesome song! and pisces iscariot was their first album i think. Its got some of those REAL good classic pumpkins songs like Whirl i think may be on there. And some of the good rock ones they had until they got all goth and shit.

13. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I think their new stuff is good
    not on the level of their old shit
    but better than most shit that's out these days

14. so speak low

so speak low Just Chill

I haven't heard the whole album, but what I have heard is okay. Nothing special, but it's not terrible.

15. kendrianna

kendrianna Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

just b/c you they came out before ur time doesnt mean you havnt indulged in all the music they have to offer

16. Miak

Miak Member

Well, let's see.
    I just got into the Pumpkins 5-6 years ago.
    great music, truly. But .. it's a shame I wasn't really into music when they were touring.
    Sad.
    But still, I got their new album .. Not .. really .. my favorite.
    It's still the Pumpkins, but it's .. Just .. not.
    Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain doesn't make the Pumpkins.
    It makes Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain together with a couple of people there for touring. But still, older stuff was much better, in my opinion.

17. All Cats Are Ray

All Cats Are Ray Member

The new album doesn't cut it for me... Pitchfork accused Billy Corgan of reviving the Pumpkins name for the sake of money. I don't know if I completely agree, but his other projects flopped and I find it kind of amusing that he replaced James and Darcy with look-a-likes. His integrity has always seemed a little questionable, but maybe it was just the press. In any case, Billy should probably have just kept doing solo work and played some Pumpkins songs when he performed live.

18. IlUvMuSIc

IlUvMuSIc Senior Member

I really liked it... Alone here but eh... I only ever really loved tonight tonight by SP but i really loved it. Bit obsessional...

19. TriCo

TriCo Member

this is a good news coming from them.. never heard of the album yet.. but based on their experience.. I think it will go well for them.. :)

20. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I have only heard the one song as well, and certainly thought that it was very average.