The new healthcare law

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Sep 23, 2013.

1. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Instead of getting a false feeling of 'making a difference' and performing your 'civil duty'?

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

The issue I have with this statement is... I have always voted in the past- every single presidential election. I will not be doing it again. Why? Because, no matter who I voted for, or no matter who won, it did not make one bit of difference. If there was a chance in hell that a decent 3rd party candidate could win election, maybe I will vote again in the future- but anyways, I do not see that my previous votes have done anything towards "the solution"... I wish I could say so, but it is not so.

How is whether a democratic or a republican figurehead elected as POTUS, in any way, shape or form, part of the solution? The solution to anything?

3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

For local elections your vote is very meaningful,
    Presidential elections...dunno, 's kinda fucked up IMO

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I buy that. Especially with referendums and such... (although in PA- although there are issues to vote yes or no on- I don't know if it's because PA is a commonwealth or what- but...okay, marijuana legalization- we will never, as citizens, be able to vote on that issue. Our elected officials decide that for us... so we don't get the good issues to decide as a state in PA.... actually the more I think of it..the only issues I do ever remember being asked to vote yay or nay on in this state, are local issues (really dumb ones), not state issues)...

However, that is just this state. (is it a commonwealth issue? that's what I am thinking but I am really not sure...).

5. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

What a concept. :)

Health care should be like the insurance you carry that you hope you never really have to use. If you do need to use it though it should be standardized for all.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

this.

as an aside, the only time I've felt my vote has ever made a difference was when I voted to legalize alcohol sales in my small town on Sundays. Now I don't have to drive 20 minutes to have a drink on Sunday. Its nice.

Presidential elections are basically a joke. Except for a few swing states, most states are guaranteed to either vote for the blue or the red candidate. I do vote third party in presidential elections and I think its important for everyone disillusioned with the system to do so. Yeah, your third party candidate has no chance in hell of winning but if third party candidates get a certain percentage of the vote they're eligible for increased funding in the next election campaign.

7. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

But...what if you really do want lemon ice cream, and you hate banana?

8. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

You still get icecream, just a different flavour.

9. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor