The new healthcare law

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Sep 23, 2013.

1. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

it's a complete shit show. my prices have gone up, while my options and choices have gone down...and i get hit with the double whammy for living in taxachusetts

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So, right after I asked the question, I turned on the evening news and my question was at least partially answered. Those for whom insurance is too expensive will get money from the government to help pay for it. well, that's gonna' cost a lot. My main gripe is that insurance companies are still in the mix , grabbing some of the money as it's paid. And wait a minute---if it's a government mandated law, then when money is paid to those that can't afford it---aren't they (the government ) just paying themselves?? No, I guess the money goes to the ever-popular insurance companies. Why is it that big business always gets the best of everything(he asks rhetorically) Still rather confusing.

I have my own insurance, but I wouldn't pay for something I didn't want and I wouldn't pay a penalty either. Then what??

3. scratcho

Double.

4. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

The Marketplace website. The program doesn't start until October 1. Some refer to the Marketplace as an 'exchange'.

http://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/individual

5. scratcho

Thanks--helpful.

6. lode

lode Banned

Insurance is a ruse.

We should either be a society and foot the collective medical costs of our society because we will all incur them at some point, or live like the old west. Either options are preferable to the scam which insurance is. Healthcare reform, rather than doing what it should have done and made universal coverage the law of the land, only strengthened insurance companies.

I'm hesitant at this point, but I do agree that somethings got to change.

Healthcare is horrible in this country, despite the fact that we're the wealthiest country with some of the best medical research and technology. And it's horrible because insurance is a scam.

7. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Wow , am I ever glad I don't need a 40 hr. job anymore. Oby really screwed everyone but the insurance industry. This guy is either quite a dumb shit or on a one man mission to destroy the Constitution.

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

He did what he could.

Look to the House of Representatives for the real screw job.
    They are the ones in bed with the insurance companies.

They just wasted more time with the 40th vote to defund Obama (Romney)care and they know they have no chance of doing it.

9. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

"He did what he could" I can see that. Do you think on purpose? what exactly was his motivation? Currently , from Walgreen to UPS , 140 corps have disallowed or trimmed down their coverage to employees. My premium , after oct 1 is going from $214 to over $500. Neddless to say , I will be cast into the subsidy class. The software has not yet been developed for that. barry, please.

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Obama knew that he could never get a single payer system due to resistance in the House and Senate.
    Too much money being made by the present system for any meaningful reforms to occur. So blame Obama for trying instead of the fat cat insurance and medical industry and their cronies who are raping the American public.

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i honestly don't know how or if it will affect me at all. i'm 65 and eligeble for medicare, though i've yet to apply for it. i'm also on v.a., though i haven't updated my address or gotten back in touch with them since my move, which has been almost a year.

12. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

13. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

I LOVE THE SHUT DOWN. Send them home permanantly. Let's take a time out. Do we need them? Really? Question authority. Question the current regime. Why is oby carrying the water for big business? Oh, if only I could get a government mandate forcing people to purchase the product I represent.

14. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

A lot of them yes, we do need them.

15. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

If we "need" them , why are they deemed non essential? Perhaps a semantics issue? Is NPR essential? Personally , I haven't noticed anyone missing.

16. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Yes, the term "nonessential" isn't very accurate. It's like a company running with a 'skeleton crew." Yeah they can get through the day but it's hell on everyone involved and a lot of shit doesn't get done.

A lot of private business will take a hit also, not just government employees

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

congress isn't even affected by the shut down. They're just getting a few paid days off work. Its people who generally work in lower paid government sector jobs who are really suffering from this.

18. scratcho

Is NPR essential?? Are people like Bill Moyers essential? Yup. Are the interviews ACTUALLY fair and balanced ? Yup. Do ALL participants in discussions get to air their views without the shouting and interrupting of certain "news" stations?Yup.

19. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

NPR? Bill Moyers? Sesame Street? We pay for this ? But wait , I'd rather not. Even Rush can compete in the "free" market place of ideaology. Or can he? Come on now scratchem.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

NPR relies heavily on listener supported donations. I seriously doubt the amount NPR receives from the government is even a drop in the bucket if it isn't enough to keep them from begging for listener donations every year.