the new forums, new members

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by sef, May 16, 2004.

1. sef

sef Member

i dont know where to put this, but you more experienced hip people seem to always have the right attitude, and listen alot more...

i have been a member for a while, and now i think that... that there are so many people at this site ... so much, befor i could somewhat follow it, and people were nice

now there is to much. im think ing i will leave for a while. ...
    keep the peace

sef

2. sassure

sassure Member

One way to cope is to stick to one particular forum and get to know its inhabitants....these forums are still, by and large, cozy and comfortable....as opposed to the BBC forums, which are large and overwhelming, or the MTV message boards, where a post can be buried under an avalanche within two hours......

3. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Sassure is right.You have to hang in a place for awhile and get to know people,and in turn they get to know you.Welcome to the old hippies hangout.

4. DragonLady

DragonLady Member

Yup. It takes a little while to get used to the new boards, but things will calm down. I had only been on here a few months before the boards changed. Now I'm starting over! LOL I enjoy this board and the Arts and Crafts. Sometimes I sneak in to the Sex boards.

5. sef

sef Member

its not a getting comfortable issue

its the issue of people not being reall.

the ones that werent here before arent as comfortable as we were

6. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

The Old Hippies forum folks are pretty real, and so are a lot of the personal forums.
    Please feel free to stop by and visit us at the Kitchen Table; the people are real and it's very relaxed and comfortable. There's a link below.

7. grendel 44

grendel 44 Dazed and Confused

Sep, "People are strange when your'e a stranger." This is so true, however don't stay a stranger and you will find real people. I only started this yesterday and am starting to feel a bond with these folks. It's like going home after a very long time away. I have a hard time with people because they think I'm old and weird and never really felt like part of the establishment. (I do not want to be anyway)
    You are so young and things are different now. It is hard to be yourself and get along in this society without outting on some kind of front. That is why you are not feeling that people are being straight with you. This place seems to be full of interesting and genuine people. Check out the AOL chat rooms and message boards lately? That's enough to make you wanna puke, those are the unreal people.
    Just hang in there and read what us old farts have to say and you won't regret it.

8. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

Well said grendel44,that is pretty much the way it is here at the hip forums.
    Head over to Angel's kitchen table for a really laid back room.
    Welcome to the forums,kick back and relax,enjoy.

9. deezee

deezee Member

hi sef

i'm new here and couldn't tell you what it was like before. but the people seem friendly and if you hang with us older hippies i doubt that you'll get anything but "real" from us. i know that i have more patience now then when i was young and personally i'm interested in talking to and helping any younger people who actuallty seek out someone older to listen to them. that doesn't happen to us in "real" life as much...lol. so i'm hoping that you were just down on that day and that you'll not get bummed enough to leave. can't speak for anyone else but i don't imagine that we're here to judge you or put you on. the civility here is unreal compared to both the outside world and most other message boards. hope you're reconsidering.

deezee

10. rubymontana

rubymontana Member

When I was here before, I mean the old forums not a previous life, the folks in the old hippy forum were Very real. I just signed up again after a personal journey, and after reading these posts for a while I find that they are still "real". Let me just say that when you reach a certain age, you truly do not feel you have to impress ANYONE with your looks, wealth or wits. You accept, and in return are accepted. That is real. Peace, Ruby

11. teepi

teepi living my dream

Well there you have it, these posts on this thread YOU started tell alot about us "old farts".

I joined last year in November and have just recently started to venture on to some of the other forums on this site.
    I love my "old hippies", this place is like home to me and as I am alone during the week (well, the dogs here, but he don't say much) this place provides me with good company.

take a break if you need to but check back, your outlook could change,

teepi

12. LotusIndia

LotusIndia Member

I gotta add to the above helpful statements, that what sef is pointing out is really not a new complaint, indicating some here are mean or smart alecs. I remember many posts in the past, especially some of the youngins coming over to the 'old hippies' forum, complaining that they first joined and went to the young hippies and other forums, thinking they had joined a place of love and peace, only to get unreal responses from show offs, or mean mouthed, etc. But then they came here they liked us and age didn't matter, we all got along fine.

But age also doesn't matter on the other forums, it just that maybe some of us here have all ready been down that road, and maybe some of us here, being born in an era that had less going against us (we were kids in the 50s for example), have been protected from some of that. I can't say. I'm just saying that this complaint isn't something new as a result of the new forums or numbers of members. I've heard it over and over, and I've been here for years. I bet others who have been here for a period of time, after thinking about it, can say the same.

People are as real, or unreal, now as they were on the previous forums. Some just get high from playing mind games behind their computer, being unreal and enjoying jerking people around. Its their drug of choice. Others want to be genuine. That has not changed. So give these forums a chance, and find the one you resonate with. I learned that long ago, on the old forums and the hard way, after getting insulted repeatedly on certain forums yet treated nicely on others. Gotta find your 'fit.'

Namaste,
    Lotus