The New Age

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by FinShaggy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

This thread isn't about Neo-Paganism or Wicca, it's about our timeline.

We consider the time of Jesus to be a turning point, before Jesus time was labeled BC, and there were 3000 years of recorded BC history. Then we started AD, we have been through over 2000 years of recorded AD history. But I think it is time to switch again, this is AT (the Age of Technology) and we are in year 13.

We really are in a new age, can we really consider ourselves to be living in the same age as Rome?

BC
    AD
    AT

Time to make the switch.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

How does this matter?

3. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

The same way any part of history matters.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Read Alvin Toffer's The Third Wave, 1980.

5. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

I think you make a very good point, but I'd maybe start year 1 around the start of the industrial revolution for posterity and historical purposes.

6. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

I think the millennium would just be extremely recognizable for everyone. But what year would you choose?

7. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Gosh, I dunno. I'd prolly pick a date during the later stages of the French Revolution. Before they had many other revolutions and before factories employed women. Something definitely past 1776 and before 1795. Maybe 1781 when steam powered engines were being developped by James Watt? Thereabouts anyway. There was a rift in the Western World around this time period anyway, where more modern machinations de la guerre were produced and an industrial age was being born.

Marx talked about the shift in the means of production - where the owners of production no longer had control over their products - and though Marx wrote about his philosophy in a later era, I think the turn of the 18th century marked the beginning of this shift. So, anyway. 1781 makes a good year 0.

8. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

I just had a thought though, should we really consider slavery part of the "New" age?

9. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Read the Aquarian conspiracy
    (free download)

http://modernhistoryproject.org/mhp?Article=AquarianConspiracy
    "Ferguson used a half-truth to tell a lie. The counterculture is a conspiracy-- but not in the half-conscious way Ferguson claims -- as she well knows. Ferguson wrote her manifesto under the direction of Willis Harman, social policy director of the Stanford Research Institute, as a popular version of a May 1974 policy study on how to transform the United States into Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". The counterculture is a conspiracy at the top, created as a method of social control, used to drain the United States of its commitment to scientific and technological progress.
    That conspiracy goes back to the 1930s, when the British sent Aldous Huxley to the United States as the case officer for an operation to prepare the United States for the mass dissemination of drugs. We will take this conspiracy apart step-by-step from its small beginnings with Huxley in California to the victimization of 15 million Americans today. With 'The Aquarian Conspiracy', the British Opium War against the United States has come out into the open."

:devil:

10. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

This thread isn't about counter culture, it's about global view.

11. lode

lode Banned

Times may have changed, but people are still just barely a step above cows or ducks.

Not me though. I'm pretty cool. Worth ten ducks even.

12. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Does this thread involve sharing my exam results with a spastic again?
    If so.... I'M OUT :D

13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You are absolutely right. I think Gongshaman must be saying something about the age we live in, but I don't know what.
    It seems the link he posted to views the currant age as the "New World Order". I don't know if he does or not, but this has to be one of the greatest conspiracy theories I have heard in a while! What a bunch of B.S.

14. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

lol the conspiracy part is for entertainment purposes only, not intended for internal use!

As far as world view,think about it
    The US drives the world view, counter-culture gave us and the world personal computers, Jimi hendrix, the discovery of the double helix of dna, ...more

15. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

And Europe gave the world the US.

16. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

The New World Order is real. George Bush Sr. Openly used to talk about it (go ahead and look it up), and the Denver International Airport has a plaque inside that is dedicated to the New World Airport Commission, which doesn't even exist.

17. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Not true.

America is no longer the center of attention: Europe, China, Japan & everyone are like RIGHT there with us.

18. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

a lot of people see the modern age as having started on the 1st of october 1908 with the first production of the t-model ford (in Brave new world, Aldous huxley even uses the term AF to mean "after Ford") because it signalled the (new) age of mass production for consumers, of the assembly line, of affordable personal transport and of social change as a result, it was the first machine produced simultaneously around the word, therefore globalisation can be seen as having its begginings with the T-model, and many people argue that it completely changed the world in terms of attitudes to private property, social mobility and the family unit.

Is there a specific event, technological or social or political or otherwise, which you feel should be taken as the marker for the new age?

19. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Hang your head in shame, Europe

20. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

That does make sense. But maybe we should do the day the first email was sent.

I don't remember what day it was, but they typed one of these 2 messages:
    qwertyuiop[]
    asdfghjkl;'