The National Anthem, Most People Don't Know This

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mister Liam, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Mister Liam

Mister Liam An Old Mister

In other words, Key was saying that the blood of all the former slaves and “hirelings” on the battlefield will wash away the pollution of the British invaders. With Key still bitter that some black soldiers got the best of him a few weeks earlier, “The Star-Spangled Banner” is as much a patriotic song as it is a diss track to black people who had the audacity to fight for their freedom. Perhaps that’s why it took almost 100 years for the song to become the national anthem.

http://www.theroot.com/star-spangled-bigotry-the-hidden-racist-history-of-the-1790855893

1 person likes this.
  2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

This is all getting ridiculous

2 people like this.
  3. Mister Liam

"Not caring" is a privilege of those who don't have to personally worry about it negatively affecting how they live their own lives. Must be nice.

4. Noserider

About "it" negatively affecting... What is "it" exactly? The song? The further attempts at dividing people?

The first half of what you posted was "Americans are too dumb to know these songs in their entirety" followed by why we shouldn't know The Star Spangled banner in its entirety.

It's starting to become bitching for bitching sake.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mister Liam

Deflection is certainly the forte of those who wish to remain encapsulated in their blissfully ignorant worlds.

The original written national anthem is racist, that is the point.

The fact that the current national anthem is still the same anthem minus the racist part should not be ignored.

The fact that Americans continually remain ignorant about their history in order to only accept their own version of it is also another point.

1 person likes this.
  6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

America has a weird obsession with constantly praising and thanking itself. If you as a citizen don't do both you are a traitor or somehow not worth of being a citizen. It's apparently off limit from protest too now. How dare these black men and the white men who work with them kneel. These same people get upset because BLM is "violent" and have been spent a few years now saying they should find a better way. They are just the kind of people who don't believe there is a problem period. So in the end ANY protest will be unacceptable to them.

I don't think there is another country in the world that makes their school children stand a pledge allegiance to the flag and country everyday besides maybe places like North Kora. It seems other countries are proud to be who they are but that pride is not such a part of their identity. I never really understood or though of the words of the pledge until I was older. It's kind of an odd thing to make children say. America is just a very different place. Guns, the Bible, and the Pledge.

2 people like this.
  7. Noserider

Like I said, I don't care. I just don't anymore.

I can't get mired down in this negative bullshit. I'm not racist. If a song is, getting all worked up about it accomplishes what? Exactly.

I have a life to live.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mister Liam

If only we could all have the luxury of living without others imposing their will on us.

Must be nice to just live and ignore all that is wrong with the world while contributing to what is wrong by not doing anything to fix anything.

9. Noserider

It's fantastic.

1 person likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Says the dude that constantly imposes his own will on others. Lol.

1 person likes this.
  11. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

The lyric says "no refuge can save the hireling or slave." Forgive me if it's not verbatim but it sounds to me that no one was safe from the onslaught of the British. Not that the hireling or slave can rid the pollution of the British.

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

since they covered all of this on national public radio on several shows and those shows were repeated several times at each and every npr station I would argue that there is millions of people that both know the full history of the song and the MANY MANY times it was rewritten by various authors

so it follows that there is millions us neoprene queens that do not give one flying fuck if that song is ever spoken about again or if they play it another trillion times

we just do not care....and as for living guilt free....I have plenty way way more important things going on to worry about a lame song :)

13. egger

egger Member

The U.S. National Anthem is a British song (To Anacreon in Heaven) with references to drinking and making love. Same music, different lyrics.

The national anthem needs an update. Some options:

'I'm Proud To Be An American' (a popular post-9/11 tune).

'I'm Proud To Be An Invader And Occupier' (might be more adroit).

Trump could issue an executive order that makes a new anthem 'Make America Great Again' by stealing the music from a Russian song and replacing the words with anti-immigration lyrics.

To Anacreon in Heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcHg5ZOIgU

1 person likes this.
  14. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Take that Mally and Morrow!!